Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
uDisc

am i missing something or is this score keeping app not very easy to use??? i am trying to create scorecards for different course layouts and i have to wait for the changes to be approved, so it appears creating any new layouts when you show up a new course or on the fly is impossible.

also while the course map feature is pretty cool, it's nearly impossible to create maps for courses in the woods. even open holes were difficult to determine pin positions on my iphone 5. it would be better if these maps could be created on a website or something. this may seem like a nitpick but there is no other way to enter hole length unless you create a map.

another problem is that scores are by default a 3 but there is no check in place to make sure the score keeper confirms that 3 like with the pdga app.

the one cool feature is measuring throws but even this is more "gee wiz" than something i really need.

please help me out here if i'm missing something. i don't want to write a bad review on the apple app store if i'm the one being dumb, but at this point i'm really disappointed with uDisc.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHFH
You are right on all accounts this app is a fancy pile of bad methods. Can't upload KML means the programmer is bad at things.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Birdie Member

I use it primarily for the find course feature which works very well. Go to a random town click find course and it shows you all the courses. Find one you like and click the navigate button and it passes it to google maps for turn by turn directions. This one feature alone makes it a winner for me.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 AM

I've been using it for a while and I like it, I haven't created any new layouts but other than that it has all seemed to worked fairly fluidly. The course mapper works best when throwing a casual round, just use GPS to set pin and tee box positions as you play, it does take a couple of days for approval but you'll have it on your phone from that point anyway.

I wasn't sure what I thought about everything being par 3 but if you just change the par on a particular hole it will save it and be the new par next time you play that course.

I agree it's not perfect but it's one of the better apps out there, also the developer is big on wanting feedback so he can make it better with updates, so if there is something you think would be better you might try that.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian j View Post
am i missing something or is this score keeping app not very easy to use???

i am trying to create scorecards for different course layouts and i have to wait for the changes to be approved, so it appears creating any new layouts when you show up a new course or on the fly is impossible.

i don't want to write a bad review on the apple app store if i'm the one being dumb, but at this point i'm really disappointed with uDisc.
To address the last point I quoted first, do not write a bad review because the app was not what you wanted the app to be. Review the app for what it does, and score it based on that.

As far as submitting layouts goes, of course that has to go through approval. Why do most of the users of an app want to sort through 10 different "jungle" layouts in order to find the traditional layout for the course they're playing? The simple answer is that they don't. Given that layouts are shared with all users personal layouts shouldn't be accepted or allowed, and I'm glad the dev isn't allowing that.

Udisc (for Android at least, I'm not sure about iOS) is a very easy to use app. Simply drag from the left side of the main screen to access all the functions, and you're off and running. As was mentioned, you can change par and hole names and the app will remember it for next time. The dev has added tons of features in the last year, and continues to make things better. It may not do everything the OP wants, but I've found it superior to every other app I've tried on both iOS and Android.

Last edited by Puckstopper; 06-18-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 147
I like the measuring throws app and that is why I bout the app in the first place. Working on designing a new course (Cloman) and I wanted a quick easy way to get an idea of the hole distances in an attempt to get a good mix.
The layouts needing to be confirmed didn't bother me because once I saw they needed approval I just send in all the different layouts for the courses I frequent.
Never used the map feature, I've made it this far without one.
Defaulting to 3 doesn't bother me, I actually like it because on my few solo rounds I don't mess with the scores until I get something other than par. Once I bird I just flip to that hole and no muss no fuss.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian j View Post
am i missing something or is this score keeping app not very easy to use??? i am trying to create scorecards for different course layouts and i have to wait for the changes to be approved, so it appears creating any new layouts when you show up a new course or on the fly is impossible.

also while the course map feature is pretty cool, it's nearly impossible to create maps for courses in the woods. even open holes were difficult to determine pin positions on my iphone 5. it would be better if these maps could be created on a website or something. this may seem like a nitpick but there is no other way to enter hole length unless you create a map.

another problem is that scores are by default a 3 but there is no check in place to make sure the score keeper confirms that 3 like with the pdga app.

the one cool feature is measuring throws but even this is more "gee wiz" than something i really need.

please help me out here if i'm missing something. i don't want to write a bad review on the apple app store if i'm the one being dumb, but at this point i'm really disappointed with uDisc.
wow old thread.... i've been using uDisc for a while now and i now like it more than i did in october. i still haven't created any maps but learned how to create score cards for temp courses and have learned to deal with submitting courses.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 48
I used Udisc+ on a Nexus7 wifi tablet to record rounds for a while, until I was away for a tournament and without Internet access for several days and it refused to launch for my second round because it couldn't "phone home" and authenticate... according to the developer the Android version has extra anti-piracy code added in with this "feature". I really liked the stats Udisc kept, but I'm not going to rely on an app that may randomly stop working on me at any time because of the developers insecurity.

Also, it would not have been hard for the developer to allow for local layouts to be created and used instead of solely relying on the confirmed/shared/"cloud" layouts...

EDIT: after reading the other comments it looks like some allowance has been made for the feature described in my last sentence since I stopped using the app...

Last edited by PerpetualNewbie; 06-18-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 20
I really like the feature that the app will create averages, charts, and graphs to help what you're doing on the course. Really awesome to be able to recall what holes I've done good and bad on.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbably View Post
You are right on all accounts this app is a fancy pile of bad methods. Can't upload KML means the programmer is bad at things.
I'm the developer of UDisc. I respect your opinion, but just because I haven't added a feature that you want and UDisc doesn't advertise having, doesn't mean that I'm "bad at things". KML file support has been on my list for a long while, but I don't personally believe that it is something that very many users would use so it hasn't been a very high priority.

UDisc doesn't support end-users like you uploading KML files, but I have this ability. If you email me a KML file, I can convert it to a UDisc course map for you.

UDisc thrives on user feedback like this thread. I listen to everything people say and I'm constantly improving the apps. If you want to request something, please send me a direct email instead of a public post - I'm just trying to make something useful for people who love disc golf like me.