Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Default Orc v. Starfire

Direct comparison question:

Which do you like better, the Orc or the Starfire? Which has more turn? more fade? Overall, which is more overstable? Which fights the wind better?

I have a Star Starfire; it has no glide to speak of. I threw it downhill and into a stiff wind today, and it had an okay flight, but I'm wondering if a Star Orc would be better in the "windy weather" bag for these same shots. TIA for all replies.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 222
Throwing Style: RHBH

I bag both.

Star Starfire, as you said, is a relatively glideless disc. I used it for hyzers and big skips, in the 270-330 range.

Champ Orcs are distance drivers for me. I carry two PFN Champs. In my experience, the opaques with just a touch of dome are more OS, but not Starfire OS. Flat pearlies have more turn and are great for slight hyzer flipping. For reference, I throw in the 380-400 range with them.

A Star Starfire will do ok into a headwind, but if you're looking for a legit distance headwind fighter, try a Thunderbird, PD, or well seasoned Star Firebird.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I bag both.
Star Starfire, as you said, is a relatively glideless disc. I used it for hyzers and big skips, in the 270-330 range.
Champ Orcs are distance drivers for me. I carry two PFN Champs. In my experience, the opaques with just a touch of dome are more OS, but not Starfire OS. Flat pearlies have more turn and are great for slight hyzer flipping. For reference, I throw in the 380-400 range with them.
A Star Starfire will do ok into a headwind, but if you're looking for a legit distance headwind fighter, try a Thunderbird, PD, or well seasoned Star Firebird.
Thanks for the reply. I have Thunderbirds (Champ and Star) and as you said, they're good headwind fighters. I might just go with them.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH

I have both. Orc is stable. Starfire is overstable. I like Orc better for backhands, Starfire better for forehands. If you want an understable counterpart for these three, BST mold Beast will round it off. For reference, I only throw these Innova speed 10 molds in Champ plastic, max weights.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:43 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
I have both. Orc is stable. Starfire is overstable. I like Orc better for backhands, Starfire better for forehands. If you want an understable counterpart for these three, BST mold Beast will round it off. For reference, I only throw these Innova speed 10 molds in Champ plastic, max weights.
I prefer to pair a Sidewinder, but mostly because the Beast just doesn't feel that great in my hand.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
Good info; thanks. I have an SL, and it does me well if the wind is not beating my face. For understable, in the windy weather bag I have the Roadrunner and also a Star Mamba that bombs in tailwinds, and I can use for turnover shots into the wind if needed.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 25

There was a flat, stiff pro run of starfires. If ya see one def worth tossing.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH

Pro plastic Starfires are the SL mold, BTW.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:23 AM
Birdie Member

Starfires works great for forehand - but they are a bit stone like. Not much glide or anything.

The Orc is probably one of the most underrated discs out there. It has a great balance between HSS and LSF and can go a long way and shape nice lines.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Par Member

I used to have a Champion Orc in the bag. Now I have a Champion Starfire. I like the Starfire better. It's almost the same disc, but the Starfire is beefier and will handle a harder rip easier without flipping.

IMO the Starfire is one of the best pure control drivers out there. It won't set any distance records, but its so perfectly workable.

The Orc is a tad too flippy to be as consistent.