Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I just received my new soft clear Ions in the mail. I thought the new plastic was pretty grippy on the mediums, but the way my fingers push into the softs ever so slightly makes them grippier by a noticeable margin. The overmolds also feel stiffer on these softs compared to earlier runs I have, and this has got me really excited to throw them. They are definitely not anywhere close to floppy, even here in FL. I have a feeling these are going to be pretty stable. I should get to throw them tonight and report back.
I got some putts and throws in tonight with my new Ions. On drives they flew a lot like the last smooth bottom run of softs--much more HSS than earlier runs. They seem to have a touch more glide than the opaque colored softs. To get any turnover and good D I was needing to turn them over on my release. I didn't get many full power throws, but I did have one that went about 360' on a really slow helix that started turned over out of my hand. Compared to my mediums the softs drop slower/glide more, hold a slight turn better, and definitely fade more. It may be a little early to say for sure, but it seemed like these are the longest gliding Ions I've yet thrown.

On putts they behaved more different from older softs than on drives. With the stiffer rim I found that although they would take spin like the older softs, they also could perform on a lower spin pitch style. Older softs faded out on this type of shot, but the newer ones look almost identical to the mediums when thrown like this. I think that a lot of people are going to like the way this run putts. I still prefer the feel of the mediums for putting, but it's really hot here now and I could see myself going to these in the winter if the mediums feel too firm to grip.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
* Ace Member *

LAST DAY TO ORDER DGR IONS WITH SKULLBOY STAMP!!!
These are coming straight from MVP for $14 plus shipping. See link for details:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=5&t=22778
Old 09-08-2011, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
I wish I had some spare monies for one of these beauts!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
i got an ion and vector to try out, really like the ion as a driving putter or for long approaches, not so much inside the circle, the vector is awesome but i dont see it replacing my buzzzzzz
Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 19
Is it too late?

I just tried ordering one of these beauties and PayPal wouldn't recognize cstimko@gmail.com as a valid email address.

Did I miss the boat on this one?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 19
Sorry, my fear got the better of me. Looks like everything is a go. Can't wait to get my hands on this disc!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrab66 View Post
i got an ion and vector to try out, really like the ion as a driving putter or for long approaches, not so much inside the circle, the vector is awesome but i dont see it replacing my buzzzzzz
It's not even meant to replace a Buzzz, it's way too overstable for that. Hold that thought though, the Axis cometh... >=)
Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfey View Post
I just tried ordering one of these beauties and PayPal wouldn't recognize cstimko@gmail.com as a valid email address.

Did I miss the boat on this one?
I use same address in Paypal and it works fine. If you still have problem try emailing him.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
While out playing today, in the 30 temps we had, I noticed that my soft eclipse had turned hard as a rock, while my 2nd run softs stay almost the same as they do in above freezing temps. The eclipse is my only soft I have in the candy plastic so I can't say for sure if this was just my ion or if it is throughout the candy line.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
While out playing today, in the 30 temps we had, I noticed that my soft eclipse had turned hard as a rock, while my 2nd run softs stay almost the same as they do in above freezing temps. The eclipse is my only soft I have in the candy plastic so I can't say for sure if this was just my ion or if it is throughout the candy line.
i think it was just that one, i was out yesterday playing in cold weather and my soft ion felt really good as the sun went down and the temp dropped, granted these arent 30 degree temps but its cold for whats here in texas, i was using a blue candy plastic ion, wasnt a glow but im in the process of getting one, i wonder if MVP puts these discs through temp tests