Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
They do look sharp.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 35
They are hard to find. I got lucky and snagged one out of the marketplace, cost me two glow ions.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Snagged mine for 30 bones out of the marketplace.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetz1010 View Post
Just going back to the 1st page of this thread, it's funny how many people looked at these initially and thought they were a gimmick. I wonder how many people have changed their tune according to Ions. Kinda funny if you read some comments from before they were embraced by the masses.
haha, here's a quote from the first page,
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
What if it becomes the new BEST putter ever, and everyone buys like 5 of em!? Well, i don't see that happening...
I hope he was watching when the glows came out
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 16
Oh crap...I bought 6. Bet he didn't see that either.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
I have my 9th coming in the mail!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
Yeah when I picked up my first newer run Ion this summer I was really excited about it the first day I threw it, and later that night I read through the Ion threads on this site and DGR. Really cool seeing how everyones attitudes changed so much about the disc, myself included. They've come along way.

My collection hit the double digits a while back
Old 12-08-2011, 02:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetz1010 View Post
Just going back to the 1st page of this thread, it's funny how many people looked at these initially and thought they were a gimmick. I wonder how many people have changed their tune according to Ions. Kinda funny if you read some comments from before they were embraced by the masses.
Heh, guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
It looks like ****e. All I'm saying. If you buy that you probably get a pack of chewing gum, the kind that comes with baseball cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I'm officially announcing that I'm eating crow on this one. I got a peach 2nd run Ion, 174, and it is immaculate. I hate driving putters but this thing is a blast to throw. I got it in tandem with a Z Comet to clean up my form and it does take some clean snap to get it flying but it's not that touchy at all. The rim takes a little to get used to but when I got it comfy in my hands it snaps out nice and clean. I actually had a guy come ask me, "What was that disc with the black ring you were throwing?" I've never impressed a random stranger with a disc before, this Ion was making me look good. So, yeah. Great muthaf'n disc.
I still have this Ion, it's the ugliest, flesh colored Ion I've ever seen but it flies great.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
Heh, here are a few of my old posts on the Ions...I had given them a try two times before I switched over this summer. I enjoyed them on drives and approaches but never took the time to figure out how to putt with them. It's funny because I can read through my old posts and see me gradually warming up to them. I think if I had initially tested one of the current soft runs against my Wizards things would of been a little different. Second run? peach was my first tester about 2 years ago, then I tested a textured medium last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Ion. It's a good disc, but nothing that special flight-wise. It's like someone took out the middle of a Medium Voodoo and replaced it with champion plastic. Interesting technology but on the course it was meh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C
I prefer the Wiz to Ion. I got to toss an Ion for a week and if Wizards didn't exist it would be my putter. The feel of the grip is very nice for driving, and I dig the rounded inner rim. I felt like my Wizards had better glide which gave me some extra feet on drives and helped sink putts. The Ion flies a nice line but it drops a bit quicker than I prefer. One thing that surprised me about the Ion though was it struck me as pretty wind resistant for how straight it flew on a 250' line drive.
Quote:
I wasn't all that impressed with them. I think it's a good disc overall, but it didn't knock my others putters out of the bag. Sometimes I feel like I threw a different Ion than what others are describing...

Compared to my Wizard, I found it had less glide, was more prone to flipping on a drive, the inside of the rim felt slicker than I prefer and the outer rim's plastic didn't grab chains like my Wizards do. Inside the circle I didn't see a big difference between my Wizard and the Ion, but I preferred the feel and chain grabbing nature of my Wizards to it.
Quote:
My Ion came in today and I tested it against a brand new Organic Wizard I picked up from Just Disc Golf. To start out I putted with each inside the store, so I could observe them in zero wind conditions. Each flew nicely, with the Ion fading a touch later than the Wizard. Next I played a putter round using both discs, throwing them each from every tee and playing each lie individually. Then I played some holes with a few friends and threw both putters around for drives and putts.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2475/photo5re.jpg

Materials: The Wizard is soft Organic plastic, the first one in gray I've owned. Feels similar to my black recycle stamp OG Wizards, which are my go to putters. The disc has some flex, but is stiff feeling. The plastic has a soft, very grippy surface feel.

The Ion has an overmold that's somewhat soft and grippy, but denser and tougher feeling than the Wizard's materials. The champion style plastic inside, like the Wizard, can be flexed but feels stiff overall.

The Ion's outer rim showed less wear after a few rounds than the rim of the Wizard.

Grip: The Wizard has a clear advantage where grip is concerned. The plastic is much tackier, and would offer superior grip in adverse conditions such as rain or snow. The Ion features texturing on the underside of the rim to enhance grip, and also has a rounded inner rim for a more comfortable grip. The Ion feels good in the hand but when wet can feel a little slick. Also the Ion doesn't sit as well in my hand, in that it wants to kind of move up and down, while the Wizard sits in my hand more securely. I did feel like the Ion gave me a consistent release on drives.

Flight (Drive): Both discs felt very controllable for driving. As far as raw distance is concerned neither seemed to have much advantage over the other, as one would go further one hole then I'd outdrive it with the other the next. Both resisted turning over fairly well, but a sloppy throw or a decent headwind could knock either off it's line. The Wizard did better in crosswinds and headwinds over all, which is what I expected. In calm conditions the HSS of the Ion felt good...it resisted turning over but maintained good glide. The Ion flew a lot like a well worn Wizard.

Flight (Putt): I didn't notice a huge difference between the two discs when putting with them from various distances in different wind conditions. To me the "winner" would be whichever mold is more comfortable in one's hand or which plastic is preferred. Both gave me a few spit-outs on poorly aimed putts, and both hit some 40-60 footers with authority on a clean release.

I enjoyed throwing the Ion. I wasn't impressed with it enough to replace my Wizards with it, but I will continue doing head to head testing to be sure. I can say the Ion is currently my second favorite putt and approach disc.
Quote:
Today I took 6 putters out to a football field and tried to throw them all as far as I could while maintaining legitimate lines.

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/putters.jpg

The discs used were a worn SS Wizard (175), a new Organic Wizard (174), a Vibram Ridge (173), an MVP Medium Ion (174), a SSS Magic (175) and an Evo Magic (177).

....It seemed once I got a few throws in with the Ion it started to click for me....

In order of most high speed stable to least high speed stable, I'd rate them as:

Ridge - OG Wizard - SS Wizard and Ion tie - SSS Magic - Evo Magic

They rate in the same order for low speed stability except the SS Wizard fades a bit harder than the Ion.

The Ion has taken me some time to get used to, but I like it. It's stability is in between the Wizard and Magic, an interesting mix of glide and predictability that I'm warming up to. For shorter range approach shots (150'-250') it's reduced LSS compared to the Wizard makes it work well in tighter areas where there's less room to work with.
Yesterday I played a putter round with the Ion and Wizard....On the shorter, more technical courses I'd say the Ion was the most well suited towards the drives and approaches. The Wizard worked the best for me when it came to putting.

Last edited by Mike C; 12-08-2011 at 04:23 AM.