Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
I didnt like them when they came out, tried them a couple months ago after all the hype. A few of the bigger putter throwers jumping ship to go to these made me give them a shot.

And I still dont like these damn things!!! Just cannot get comfortable with them for driving or putting. I know if I spent the money to try the 4 different "runs" I might find that magic run and then chase them till I say screw it and just go back to wizards. Just me but had to put it out their, jumped on the Ion bashing wagon...
Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 41
Hahah if you still have any you want to get rid of I have Wizards collecting dust.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 29
I got a weekender bag for my wife with the ion I owned, tried others only got suckered into one. lol

Might be interested in the dust catchers though. PM what you have in the softer velvety variety.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I've been throwing the heavy Ions for a couples of weeks now and I honestly think they are the best putter drivers I've ever thrown. Everyone I've let throw them has been impressed with the feel and the flight. They hold their angle of release really well and absorb shock on impacts. The Ion kicks off of objects the least of any disc I've thrown. I'm even putting with mine and so far I really like the action they get on the chains. That rubber "bumper" really seems to stick in chains. You can see the disc stop spinning as soon as it gets in there. I was putting with organic SS Voodoos. Compared to those the Ion doesn't fly quite as well on a touch putt, but if I give it a little it goes farther and flies easier than the Voodoo. It also has a little more LSS so is a better on a slight hyzer putt than the Voodoo.
I stand by my first impressions...To this day I don't think I've tested any other discs that have taken me by surprise like the Ion did.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
I agree with this ^^^. I have 2 in my bag. One for driving. And one for putts outside the circle that I need to power a little bit
Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
I finally got a glow ion to try out, and I think it seems a bit less stable for me than a big bead aviar. I got really similar distance with them too. Maybe I just don't have the arm to generate enough spin to really notice the "gyrotech" functionality, but that's what I experience. I'll try again tomorrow, and see if I notice anything different.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 71
The ion is the best p&a of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I finally got a glow ion to try out, and I think it seems a bit less stable for me than a big bead aviar. I got really similar distance with them too. Maybe I just don't have the arm to generate enough spin to really notice the "gyrotech" functionality, but that's what I experience. I'll try again tomorrow, and see if I notice anything different.
I've been throwing Ions for a few months now, and knew I was having a little difficult putting the right spin on it. Then the other day I played with someone who is super casual(only carried had 3-4 discs, no bag) and he was throwing his Ions so much better than I ever had on even my best throws. Made me really realize I need to work on a lot of stuff, since I'm obviously doing things wrong.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to NorthernDisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchitti View Post
...till I say screw it and just go back to wizards.
Why not carry both, I do. MVP discs take some getting used to, but once you get them right there is nothing better. Still use my wizard inside the circle and for straight line putts or upshots.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
With all the hype, I was expecting more of an all purpose disc that would replace my putters, mids, and fairways, but it just goes about 225 for me, same as my big bead aviar, but more to the right.