Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
It's all up to the feel and grip for me. If it's good in my hand I'll love it, if not it'll have to find a new home.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Quote:
It's all up to the feel and grip for me. If it's good in my hand I'll love it, if not it'll have to find a new home.
This should be tattooed on EVERYTHING.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 7

Good disc.... very useful....
HOWEVER...

it's a duplicate or hybrid of many other discs i have (or have owned).

is it a putter? maybe... but for me it seems to be more like an approach disc masquerading as a putter. (and the curved inner lip issue can be distracting)

to me, it flies like a very short buzzz, a light dart, or almost any other "straight" flying disc.

i have read through all the pages and it seems to me that most that love this disc are using it as a long distance putter/aggressive approach disc... as much as it has opened up their game, i suggest that (maybe) they should consider an innova (or discraft) compliment instead. I would guess, that most have bought into the "you must have a max weight putter" theory and when they find a disc with glide (they can use as a putter) they are enamored at how much it opens up their game. (most of my putts are made with a 168 DX roc or 170 champ gator - the 175 aviar is good, but it limited me too much.)

is it all that? no. It is exactly what was promised, and that's just another disc. The fact that (because its a new toy) you are breaking out of your own "comfort levels" and finding successes is good, but is it really the disc or the thrower?

Want a cheap version - go buy a light weight DX Skeeter, Roc, Dart or buzzz and use it the same.

or (outside the box) Aerobie Arrow

Last edited by djjeremiahj; 05-12-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
You had me up until arrow. That sucker IS straight but my god it rolls more than Cheech and Chong.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
You had me up until arrow. That sucker IS straight but my god it rolls more than Cheech and Chong.
one of my buddies uses his with mastery. It's replaced a buzzz, roc, and almost any/all putters. Any shot with a straight line within 150' on a straight line, he'll touch metal. 200' drives (on a straight line) he's parked....

i've never bought one just because i am not sure i can reproduce his results (or use it long enough to do so...)
Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
The Ion is not like a light Roc or buzz at all.

Plus it is hard to take someone seriously who writes:

Quote:
most of my putts are made with a 168 DX roc or 170 champ gator - the 175 aviar is good, but it limited me too much.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

A short list of discs that do not have more glide than a DX aviar and are way less "limiting":

Champ Gator.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Also why is this?

Quote:
as much as it has opened up their game, i suggest that (maybe) they should consider an innova (or discraft) compliment instead
Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like someone has talked themselves out of an Ion to me. Buddy experiencing what others have experienced with nailing shots with great accuracy; but its just another disc.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Delicious View Post
Also why is this?
first... i realized i typed it wrong.. i putt with a 168 Roc, 170 Rhyno and 175 Aviar.
With a lighter disc with more glide, any shot within 25' that i can square my shoulders up with and throw like a ninja star is in. Any longer shot, with a different method still (atleast) hits metal. The Rhyno is the compliment and is used depending on the situation. The Aviar is used when wind is a concern, or other unique situations. i've always preferred a "sharper" edged disc to throw, and like the extra glide.

second..
why?
for most (without massive arms) the 175 weight disc is actually a hindrance. Unless you have the strength and power to throw it, you kill your own distance and accuracy (how many times have you hit the cage, or undershot??? could it be too heavy of a disc or a disc with not enough glide?)

Most people on this thread are enamored that the Ion opened up their distance putting/short approach game. If this is true, then the current putter they use is incompatible with their method, technique, or form (almost always indicative of TOO HEAVY or to a lesser degree NOT ENOUGH GLIDE).

As a result... if the ion is being used as a 30-150' STRAIGHT FLYING disc, it serves no more or less purpose than any other straight flying disc (ie. buzzz, skeeter, dart, etc) that is being underutilized. If this is true, its an indication of the owner not recognizing their own limitations and buying appropriate discs for their purposes. (ie. weight, glide, flight, etc. )

real world vs. theoretical professional disc golf world

the Ion is a good disc, but it represents nothing new or re-invented. I bet, if any of you were given a putter that is different than your own, 1/2 would find amazing results and 1/2 would hate it.
i'm not questioning the disc, i'm questioning its use and intention.

Last edited by djjeremiahj; 05-12-2010 at 04:40 PM.