Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Have you guys noticed your ions beating in much? I prefer an understable putter because I push putt (not a lot of spin). I've had my soft ion for several months now, and I haven't noticed it breaking in hardly at all. I was hoping it would turn into my primary putter, but it still isn't beat enough.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by msudog_ View Post
Have you guys noticed your ions beating in much? I prefer an understable putter because I push putt (not a lot of spin). I've had my soft ion for several months now, and I haven't noticed it breaking in hardly at all. I was hoping it would turn into my primary putter, but it still isn't beat enough.
If you're only putting with it, its going to take a VERY long time to break in. If you drive with it (and hit lots of trees in the process), then it won't take as long. I managed to break in two of the 2nd run (first heavy run) softs in a couple months over the summer. All in all, the Ion's flight is determined in a large part by the amount of spin. With a lot of spin its laser straight, but with just a lob, it'll fall off to the side.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdggna View Post
If you're only putting with it, its going to take a VERY long time to break in. If you drive with it (and hit lots of trees in the process), then it won't take as long. I managed to break in two of the 2nd run (first heavy run) softs in a couple months over the summer. All in all, the Ion's flight is determined in a large part by the amount of spin. With a lot of spin its laser straight, but with just a lob, it'll fall off to the side.
Right now it only gets used off the tee or for long approaches (100'-270'). I guess maybe I'm trying to compare the breaking in of an ion to a classic aviar (my primary putter) and I'm thinking that may take a long time to achieve.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Yeah, my Ions haven't broke in much at all, and I drive and throw the hell out of them. I'd try and get a lighter one if you wanted an understable putter.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM

How light do they get?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
The 1st runs were in the mid 160s. They're getting scarce though. I think MVP is planning on running some more light ones in the near future though.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 23
Another note: I haven't heard this from many people, but Frank D commented on it while he was throwing the Ion around this summer. When they do break in, they do it suddenly, with very little visible clues. Like I said, I haven't heard a lot of people comment on this, so I'm not sure. I may have to break out that first Ion and test it out to see if it wasn't just a form issue that I might have resolved around the time that I switched to my newer run of Ions.

Also, if you're looking to break one in faster, skip it across a parking lot a few times, focusing primarily on throwing with mostly spin instead of arm.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Cool. I really want to carry one mold of putter, but my putting style makes it difficult. I'll never be able to throw my classic aviar in a headwind. Perhaps and lightweight Ion will solve my problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 80
just got two of these this week and the Ion seems to be the real deal. I love it. At home I was sinking 25 ft putts no problem, and the medium is money for driving with.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
my Ions haven't broke in much at all, and I drive and throw the hell out of them.
ditto