Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 16
What is so great about the ion? I use a focus now and love it, and had an ion that I traded. Did I miss something? I'm not opposed to giving it a second shot, but just curious as to what all the fuss is about. Is it because it's good at grabbing chains or because it's a great approach putter?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalexander View Post
What is so great about the ion? I use a focus now and love it, and had an ion that I traded. Did I miss something? I'm not opposed to giving it a second shot, but just curious as to what all the fuss is about. Is it because it's good at grabbing chains or because it's a great approach putter?
Its the way it flies. Everything else (and there are a lot of other things...profile in hand, chain grabbing, look) is secondary. I've always loved throwing putters off the tee, and the Ion is the best I've ever used. It has the perfect stability...Holding any line while resisting turn just enough to make it versatile and allow for precise touch. That is the stability it has out of the box, and that's the stability it will still have after 1000 throws. After that there is the glide. The Ion glides for a putter like the Comet glides for a midrange. With a little height it will outdistance all others. However, unlike the Comet, the Ion flies well on low lines as well. I really like putting with the Ion too, but I could putt with about anything with a little practice. Its the way it flies that got me.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to Animage
I have very little disc experience, and the Ion is the first disc I feel pretty confident in knowing exactly how it's going to throw.

Now I can't really control hyzer/anhyzer, so throwing a bit differently depending on what I need is necessary. While this may be bad for my overall form and helping me in the long run, Its getting my putting confidence up as well as my distance.

My previously unmaking shots outside 40 feet are hitting the basket now. Outside 50-60 feet, I'm now able to touch the chains from almost every placement. Its probably the only disc I can feel how the wind will take it.

The ion may not be helping my form as it doesn't punish me severly, however it's giving me confidence and reliability in what I feel is the most important part of the game; hitting the chains outside the comfort zone.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 1
i heard it was great for diagnosing your form
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfwdscglfr View Post
i heard it was great for diagnosing your form
It will tell you if your form really sucks, but that's about it. It's more gyroscopic than any other putter, so that actually makes it more forgiving than other putters. It irons out a little OAT no problem (as long as its not windy). You do still have to throw it cleaner than Buzzzes and Rocs demand.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
I have really figured my form out recently (thanks comets) and am surprised how stable these are for me now. It is weird watching guys I let try these out torque them over and call them flippy.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Delicious View Post
I have really figured my form out recently (thanks comets) and am surprised how stable these are for me now. It is weird watching guys I let try these out torque them over and call them flippy.
Agreed
Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Delicious View Post
Yeah, that's how it was for me during my first month throwing the Ion. As my release got more consistent and clean with them (I had to get used to the floppiness, Ion is the first floppy disc I've ever liked) I had to start throwing them flat to turned over if I wanted any LtoR movement in the flight. When I mess up with the Ion its almost always because I put a touch of hyzer on it and it holds it when I want a completely flat flight. I also love throwing anny FH shots with the Ion from 150' and in...and they still flex out at the end.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 89
I have two 175g that I use for putts in and just out of the circle. I bought a First Run 167g from a local about a week ago and I'm very pleased with how well it compliments the heavier ones. The 167g has more dome and a nipple on the flight plate and still flies nearly as stable, yet it requires a little less effort to putt with, making it ideal for those shots outside the circle that are still too short to jump putt.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: LHBH
Just recieved mine yesterday and i must say these are better looking in person, what a great Dye Job Zenbot!!

seriously, purchase one of these Bad Boys and you will not be upset you did, i putted with it yesterday in the back yard and i already see a difference from this ION compared to My Champ Aviar...so get in touch with ZENBOT and get yours today, fast shipping, great price, and a Great Disc Dyed to perfection.

thanks again Zenbot!!