Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I went to the MVP warehouse and factory yesterday and man there is a lot of new stuff going on with Ions...

For example, soon new Ions(and all other MVP discs) will have "Patent Pending" embossed in the center.

Also, I sampled LIGHTWEIGHT Ions of several types. There are now both softs and mediums in the 160s, and this is good news for everyone. As I tested 2 medium 168-169s and a soft 170 I quickly realized that I really have barely any need for heavy Ions...These new lighter ones are blowing me away because as far as I can tell they seem to glide much more without having a downside. They are just as stable as their heavier brethren and they go farther on a lower line. On full power rips they hold steady with just a slight turn, just like the heavies...Even in headwinds they held up about as well as the heavies, and BY FAR better than any other putter at this weight. The mediums are super straight and my lighter soft is a touch more stable. These make approaching so much easier as well. After talking with Blake about putters some time ago he really had me curious about lighter putters...However, I was throwing Voodoos at the time and when I got some lighter ones they just didn't do anything for me other than flip sometimes when I didn't want them to. Now with these new Ions I'm really starting to revisit some of those discussions.

I also tested an *Ion prototype of an undisclosable nature* that weighed under 165 and had glide and stability perhaps unmatched by any previous Ion I've thrown. They had to pry it from my hands before I left as it is one of only a few protos, but I assure you some more revolutionary Ion work is soon to come. I'm excited as hell and I will probably be going home and giving away some of my old Ions to those in need in my community... :wink:
Discspeed, I would just like to thank you for all the time you put into writing reviews for the MVP gear. I am a S Ion putter and I alwasy like reading your take on all MVP products. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 26
I as well, appreciate all that you take the time to write on here about MVP. I dont think i could ever play again if i didnt have my S Ion
Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I went to the MVP warehouse and factory yesterday and man there is a lot of new stuff going on with Ions...

For example, soon new Ions(and all other MVP discs) will have "Patent Pending" embossed in the center.

Also, I sampled LIGHTWEIGHT Ions of several types. There are now both softs and mediums in the 160s, and this is good news for everyone. As I tested 2 medium 168-169s and a soft 170 I quickly realized that I really have barely any need for heavy Ions...These new lighter ones are blowing me away because as far as I can tell they seem to glide much more without having a downside. They are just as stable as their heavier brethren and they go farther on a lower line. On full power rips they hold steady with just a slight turn, just like the heavies...Even in headwinds they held up about as well as the heavies, and BY FAR better than any other putter at this weight. The mediums are super straight and my lighter soft is a touch more stable. These make approaching so much easier as well. After talking with Blake about putters some time ago he really had me curious about lighter putters...However, I was throwing Voodoos at the time and when I got some lighter ones they just didn't do anything for me other than flip sometimes when I didn't want them to. Now with these new Ions I'm really starting to revisit some of those discussions.

I also tested an *Ion prototype of an undisclosable nature* that weighed under 165 and had glide and stability perhaps unmatched by any previous Ion I've thrown. They had to pry it from my hands before I left as it is one of only a few protos, but I assure you some more revolutionary Ion work is soon to come. I'm excited as hell and I will probably be going home and giving away some of my old Ions to those in need in my community... :wink:
I'm in need (and I'm in your community)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Birdie Member

I got a black New-tooled soft ion today. I was very surprised by how firm the plastic is. It seems like it's somewhere between my soft and medium that I have already.

Anyone else?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 11
I am looking for a store that sells black, white and clear MVP unstamped discs.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Birdie Member

Discgolfcenter and Marshallstreet have blanks for the ION. I couldnt find any blank Vectors.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 275
I'm out of black but I've got a lot of blank MVP discs including Vectors on this DGCR marketplace thread.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...570#post900570
Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VyZx View Post
I got a black New-tooled soft ion today. I was very surprised by how firm the plastic is. It seems like it's somewhere between my soft and medium that I have already.

Anyone else?
Ohhhh Yeaaaahhhhhh!!!!! Already got 10 or so Ions but I just got a pair of new softs off Ebay with sweet diejobs (Biohazard and Triangle-star pattern) I had no idea they retooled them, threw em a few times and instantly noticed the change in flight, they fixed any complaints and are the inbetween disc.

They feel way more grippy straight out of the box, (could be the extra dye or tape residue), I swear they feel wider or deeper or something, positively better! The flight is better too less fade and more wind resistance especially with crosswinds. WOW!!!!

Last edited by Throwasurge; 07-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 6
I have two mediums I am trying to sell for 18$. PM if interested.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
since they're re-tooled does this mean there will be people looking for the old specific run that aren't the new current run... could be a jump in the collector's market in the value of old ions soon.