Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 AM
.:MVP Company Rep:.

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfair View Post
since they're re-tooled does this mean there will be people looking for the old specific run that aren't the new current run... could be a jump in the collector's market in the value of old ions soon.
I think people are getting the wrong impression on 're-tooled'.

We did not alter anything with the mold other than removing the engraving and sand blast finish on the underside. The new engravings match that of the Vectors on the overmold. Super grippy.

There should be no difference in flight as it is the same great old Ion, with the more up to date engraving.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 5
They are the first set of dyed Ions I've got... maybe that did something wonderful to them. I'm not gonna argue with the man that makes the disc, but the seam/mold mark is lower on the outer rim than previous runs. There's very little difference in flight, maybe removing the writing on the bottom makes for less friction at low speeds, both in the air and in the hand, maybe I'm crazy, whatever, I love them!!

Last edited by Throwasurge; 07-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I went to the MVP warehouse and factory yesterday and man there is a lot of new stuff going on with Ions...

I also tested an *Ion prototype of an undisclosable nature* that weighed under 165 and had glide and stability perhaps unmatched by any previous Ion I've thrown. They had to pry it from my hands before I left as it is one of only a few protos, but I assure you some more revolutionary Ion work is soon to come. I'm excited as hell and I will probably be going home and giving away some of my old Ions to those in need in my community... :wink:
FWOW
I will be all over these
I have been begging for a lighter ion reissue, an improved lighter ion is even better
Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

I've been using my 168 medium Ions for a couple of weeks now and I'm thoroughly impressed...so much so that they are now my primary putters. I've been hitting longer putts and putting much more consistently with them all around. I get noticeably more spin on the 168 mediums than I do on my heavier ones. This run of lighter white mediums are quite stable for being light...at least as much so as my heavier mediums with less fade. They are also grippier than other runs, feeling softer than the heavier mediums (but still stiffer than any softs). I shot -11 today and won my handicap, mostly due to hitting 35'-50' putts with my Ions...I don't remember the last time I putted this well.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM
* Ace Member *

I have one of those white 168s...i'm waiting for a 'poth dye b4 I throw it tho.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

I just received my new soft clear Ions in the mail. I thought the new plastic was pretty grippy on the mediums, but the way my fingers push into the softs ever so slightly makes them grippier by a noticeable margin. The overmolds also feel stiffer on these softs compared to earlier runs I have, and this has got me really excited to throw them. They are definitely not anywhere close to floppy, even here in FL. I have a feeling these are going to be pretty stable. I should get to throw them tonight and report back.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

what are available weights in the new clear ones?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

I think I heard that they ran them down to 167-168g. I know I threw a lighter proto, so there may be lighter ones than that. Hopefully Chad or Brad will chime in.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sorry for the interruption (insert noob questioning look here)...how would you compare the new Ion's to an Innova R-Pro Dart?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doupie620 View Post
Sorry for the interruption (insert noob questioning look here)...how would you compare the new Ion's to an Innova R-Pro Dart?
The Ion is slower, more stable, with similar glide.