Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
A few days ago I took my stack of 10 Wizards to the field to do some work. I threw from standstills, kind of a cross between Bradley Walker's Closed-Shoulder Drill and Beato's Right Pec Drill, and threw 20 or so to about 180' or so.

I'd noticed that some came out of the hand on a bit of an anhyzer, some were flat, some (very few) had a proper little hyzer that would stand up coming back into the very slight headwind. Some came out left, some a little later and right.

The thought of pressing really hard with my thumb came to my mind, and darn it if I didn't then easily add 20-25' of distance while simultaneously better controlling the angle of the disc and the release points.

When I did some slow two-step (x-step and the one after that) throws, more for timing than to add any real speed, with a "more full reach-back", I threw to the edge of the field and one flew into the bushes 235' away.

I think the firmer thumb helped my timing. It slowed down the middle to late stages of my throw and let me add speed closer to the very end of the throw. It helped control the wing angle and obviously stopped some of the earlier releases when the disc would slip out just that little bit prematurely.

I'm playing in the PFDO next month (first tournament), and I'll be doing a LOT of this kind of work in preparation for that. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 AM

During this summer I have lost faith to my "control" drives. I can't believe how inconsistent and inaccurate I am. I think that I have to slow down and go back to basics and build my drive from the scratch. Following few months I'm going to use only Anode, Tangent and Amp and the emphasis is on Anode and Tangent. My goal is to have an accurate drive somewhere around 300'. And hopefully I learn to throw hyzer-flip. Sometimes (way too often) this is so f***ing frustrating!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 31
I've really been working on fairway drivers and shots between 280 and 320. Driving mids will def help you see your technique flawes. Sometimes I will just play a round with mids and putters to work on technique. I really believe in discing down. It's make me really focus on accuracy and got me to stop trying to throw every shot to the moon. I do have a few 12 speeds in the bag but they are reserve for long shots generally over 350 and out in the open. If you have ever thought of trying this out I would def give it a shot and just stick with it for a few months. It will play off and you will be a better player. Accuracy over distance is def the way to go!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 10
I've been going the Discing down as of late too. Figured out a few things today in some heavy wind which surprised the heck out of me. So far I'm not missing what I took out.

My bag looks like this.

Drivers
Innova Tern - Star and Champion
Innova Firebird - Star
Latitude 64 Saint - Opto and Gold Line
Latitude 64 Fury - Gold Line
Latitude 64 Trident - Gold Line
Latitude 64 River - Opto and Gold Line

Midranges
Discraft Comet - 2 ESP,Elite X and Elite Z
Discraft Hornet - Elite Z

Putters
Latitude 64 Pure - Opto,Sparkle Opto and Zero Hard
Discraft Zone - Pro D and ESP
Gateway Voodoo - 5 Super Stupid Soft,2 Erasers and a Evolution HPP

So far this bag is working great for me. I can't believe how well my Rivers and Terns were working in the wind. I just adjusted my angles and those discs flew through the wind like a champ.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 13
I've disced my bag down. Even though Valks bounce in and out, I throw Teebirds for the majority of my drives. I'm really focusing on controlled distance and I can reliably and accurately throw my Teebirds on 275'-300' lines. I'm also trying to develop a FH shot that I'm comfortable with out to 250'. I'm comfortable approaching with my VPs forehand and with my Gator out to 150' or so. Not getting much more distance with my 'Birds past that, but it is a work in progress. Anyways, here is what the bag is looking like:

Drivers
Firebird x1 (175 Champion)
Teebird x3 (175 Star, 175 DX x2)
Midranges
Gator x1 (175 Star)
Roc x3 (180 KC Pro, 180 DX x2)
Putt and Approach
VP x2 (175 Medium, 175 Firm)
Aviar x2 (175 DX x2)

Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynehester View Post
I really believe in discing down. It's make me really focus on accuracy and got me to stop trying to throw every shot to the moon.
This is a good thought that I think a lot of people deal with. An unintentional result of discing down is it removes that worry of getting that fast distance driver up to speed. A lot of form improvement stems from slowing down to go fast and when you're trying to max out a disc that might be too fast for you, you tend to accelerate too much too soon. The slower discs take that pressure off you and let you focus your form into being loose, slow, fluid and methodically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
During this summer I have lost faith to my "control" drives. I can't believe how inconsistent and inaccurate I am. I think that I have to slow down and go back to basics and build my drive from the scratch. Following few months I'm going to use only Anode, Tangent and Amp and the emphasis is on Anode and Tangent. My goal is to have an accurate drive somewhere around 300'. And hopefully I learn to throw hyzer-flip. Sometimes (way too often) this is so f***ing frustrating!
Discing down is not going to magically teach you control but it does help remove some distracting variables out of your form that might be hindering you. Slower discs are just plain easier to control though b/c they're less nose angle sensitive and tend to fly a straighter line than faster discs (think of a putter compared to the left and right action of a Nuke for example).

To achieve your goal(s), I'd really pare down your bag to a core of stable (neutral) discs and focus on your mechanics. The form critique section (sidewinder22 particularly) can really point you in the right direction in terms of proper weight shift, pivoting, elbow-chopping and all that mechanics stuff. Neutral stability discs will give you a great soundboard for evaluating feedback to tweaks in your form whereas juggling a bunch of molds of different speeds and stability can mask and/or enhance flaws often.

JR on discgolfreview.com/forums is a great resource for learning technique and form and he's a fellow Finn so that might help you there as well. Feel free to shoot some questions my way (anybody) and I'll try and help the best I know how.

You can do it!