Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
i was playing Newton Hill and threw my drive on 17 only to have a hawk swoop across the fairway while my disc was in flight
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.trenton View Post
i was playing Newton Hill and threw my drive on 17 only to have a hawk swoop across the fairway while my disc was in flight
Now that would be damn cool to see
Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Would have been better if the hawk caught the disc in his talons and dropped it into the basket.

Would that be an ace?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Cool BBQ using pole hole

I remember a funny story Darrell Lynn PDGA#0784 and 1994 HOF inductee told me that one day in the early 80's he was playing on the newly installed course that he and Steady Ed had put in in '79. He said there was a couple on a blanket on hole 18 at the Meeman Shelby Forest course. they had put aluminum foil in the basket with charcoal and were getting ready to roast some hot dogs. LOL I thought i would share that one
Uncle Bob PDGA#3230
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob3230 View Post
I remember a funny story Darrell Lynn PDGA#0784 and 1994 HOF inductee told me that one day in the early 80's he was playing on the newly installed course that he and Steady Ed had put in in '79. He said there was a couple on a blanket on hole 18 at the Meeman Shelby Forest course. they had put aluminum foil in the basket with charcoal and were getting ready to roast some hot dogs. LOL I thought i would share that one
Uncle Bob PDGA#3230
Yeah, you still hear stories today of people using baskets as BBQ pits. DG has been around for all this time and people still don't have a clue about it or what the baskets are really used for, lol.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINESEL View Post
Would have been better if the hawk caught the disc in his talons and dropped it into the basket.

Would that be an ace?

Nah, I think u would have to play it from the point of initial contact. Good luck with that, lol.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINESEL View Post

Would that be an ace?
I'd give it to you.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 166
Two Yellowstone stories;
First my friends and I are playing hole #9 at the Old Faithful Course (not listed on this site because it is just too friggin dangerous for people to just show up and try to play) and we are finishing up the hole and starting to walk to hole #10's tee when we see a bison carcass along the woodline (I do not have a picture) with two Bald Eagles and one Golden Eagle feeding on it. They let us get to about to about 50 feet before taking off and flying over us. Holy crap were they huge birds. That was the closest I have ever been to an Eagle in the wild.

Hole number 5 at the Old Faithful course is a long, 500 ft???, down hill shot either through a narrow gap or with a big hyzer FH or BH over trees that the locals play as a par 5. With the help of a sweet cross breeze I crush a fore hand drive deep of the target, which is unfortunately is right among some hotpots (holes filled with water that go from mildly warm to melt your flesh off hot). Its not super dangerous if you keep and eye on where you are stepping and I am excited thatI have a shot at a 2 on a par 5 so a walk real carefully to my disc line up my putt and when I take a step forward I break through thin ground and my foot sinks into scalding hot water. After screaming, I run to the Firehole River (which is really cold oddly enough) and soak my now bright red foot in the cold water. Final verdict, third degree burns on my foot. Scars have mostly faded by now, and ten years later and I would still go for that putt!

Last edited by tistoude; 08-30-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: LHBH
I watched this scene unfold at Crystal Lake Park in Beaver Dam, WI last yr.

The group in front of me was two guys, each carrying a few discs apiece who I could tell were both at least half in the bag. After following them for a few holes, one of the guys chucks his disc up into a tree, and it sticks. He and his friend circle the ground around the tree, looking up swearing and gesturing at the disc. The guys like "Aww man, how am I gonna get my disc down." (the tree had no branches lower than 15ft, so climbing was not an option)

So he takes his other disc and starts throwing it up to knock the first one out of the tree. I stopped and tried to tell him he'd be better off using a rock, but he would not be deterred, so I played through and watched. Sure enough, after a few throws, he had two discs stuck in the tree, and no more discs to throw.

At this point, most people would have noticed a trend, and tried something else (like a water bottle or a rock), but not this guy. He tried to borrow his friend's disc to "get his back", but his buddy, clearly the wiser of the two, wasn't about to let him. Now he has no more discs to throw, so he gets an idea.

Thats right folks, he takes one shoe off and starts using it to knock his disc down. Not only does he fail, he somehow manages to get the shoe stuck by its laces up in the tree. Logically, he decided at that point to use his remaining shoe to get the rest of them down.

Part of me was really hoping both shoes would get stuck so he would have no discs or shoes, because then he would've had no more options (other than maybe phone, keys or wallet), but he got the stuff down with the last shoe. Still,

Innova DX Drivers: $7 each

Reebok basketball Shoes: $50 for a pair

Getting all your discs and shoe stuck in the same tree: Priceless

Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
Oh Man, that is a great story.