Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: RHBH
Squirrel attack

At Calvert Road Park, I walked up to find a squirrel spread-eagled on my disc gripping the rim with as many feet as it could. I practically had to pick up the disc before it ran off. My friends still tease about the attack of the disc-humping squirrel. We have also seen an albino squirrel at this same park.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 49
Playing today, I saw a guy hit a bird in flight with a drive. The bird flew off, but must have been hurt.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 42
Sleeping bikers on sleeping bags right in front of the teepad. Complete with a pistol strapped to his belt. Not 400' away was a little kids birthday party under a gazebo. Yikes.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowski View Post
i was playing my home course willow creek in chicago suburbs and i was on hole seven about too tee off and there is a bike path by the pin with the path winding behind the basket. walkers are common on the path so i look down and i see a guy on a unicycle comin crusin down at a pretty fast speed and flew by me... random but kinda cool i didnt know you could go that fast on a unicycle, he was probably a professional haha
I read a story of a guy who did mountain bike races on a unicycle. link
Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 12
Just yesterday, was out at the course and found lying behind a tree on #7 a bottle of Oxycotton.
Called the PD, to come and grab it, cause who knows if it was planted there for a drug deal, dropped by accident, or the little kid two holes back would pick it up and eat one.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 10
I watched a guy come out of the pond that my local course plays around/over with about 20 discs, he then sets up a towel and starts selling them for 5 a pop! Pretty weird for me to see.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr_russell View Post
Sleeping bikers on sleeping bags right in front of the teepad. Complete with a pistol strapped to his belt. Not 400' away was a little kids birthday party under a gazebo. Yikes.
The first time I read this I thought of the DB's that ride around here in spandex and helmets on their mountain or road bicycles. Which made the story funny and more than a little queer.
I'm guessing you meant motorcyclists. Then I noticed you are from AZ, which makes me think it might be a common thing. Bikers with exposed guns. Not knocking either, here in Colorado we are also an exposed carry state, not much room on course for either, although at HP yesterday I did hear a shot from the affluent neighborhood on the hill.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadreier View Post
I watched a guy come out of the pond that my local course plays around/over with about 20 discs, he then sets up a towel and starts selling them for 5 a pop! Pretty weird for me to see.
That is weird.

Most divers go with three a pop on cheap discs and five only for top of the line.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
The first time I read this I thought of the DB's that ride around here in spandex and helmets on their mountain or road bicycles. Which made the story funny and more than a little queer.
What did cyclists ever do to you? DB's? Queer? Really? It's a sport just like disc golf, and one that is actually fairly comparable in terms of people who do it. At least pretend to have a little bit of respect for people with different hobbies than you.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesXC View Post
What did cyclists ever do to you? DB's? Queer? Really? It's a sport just like disc golf, and one that is actually fairly comparable in terms of people who do it. At least pretend to have a little bit of respect for people with different hobbies than you.
queer part: Two bicyclists in the park on a sleeping bag

don't make me stand on my soapbox! I'm all for them, but unless you are Lance Armstrong and trying to shave a second off your time there is no reason for a grown man to wear full body spandex, it looks "gay". Also I'm all for sharing the road as long as they follow the same rules I have to and they can go the same speed, and if they paid a tax to maintain those same roads, they don't. I have respect for them, I have crazy respect for the ones that do single track downhill. I can't do it, I got no desire to be on something with 2 wheels and no motor.
Just my feelings, and No I don't have to pretend to do anything, I'm not Politically Correct, I got no desire to pretend to like some douchebag culture that seems to think they are superior to everyone just because they can use a mode of transportation that was obsolete as soon as man created a motor.
If it's just a hobby great! but to some it's a lifestyle and unfortunately their "hobby" directly affects me at times.
It's not comparable, if it was they would be regulated to some part of a park and not all the streets/trails/wherever the hell they want to be. They also seem to have most of their people in very good shape, something I see lacking at a lot of DG courses. We have a sport where mostly normal people, fat, thin, smokers, drinkers can go out and enjoy a day in the park. Basically anyone can play our sport.
//rant over

Last edited by Fishy; 05-08-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling