Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Suggestions for discs and technique when big elevation change is present.

As my game continues to improve, and the help and advise here has been invaluable, one thing I have never seen discussed here is any kind of throw that has severe elevation change.

Say at least 30 feet higher or lower than the tee.

For instance number 8 at Campgaw Reservation. It is 219' with about a 150' elevation change. A bit extreme but it gets my question across.

What discs are more adaptable to throwing higher or lower and what should change as far as throw technique. Maybe this nose down on release. Maybe just a lot of prayer.

Your advise is appreciated.

Number 8 Campgaw.

Last edited by Disc Dog; 02-24-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 101
understable uphill overstable down
Old 02-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 7
More understable disc for elevation down. Lower throw speed will mean less HSS and thus a straighter throw.

More overstable disc for elevation up. You'll need a higher throw speed than normal (normal being flat course) and thus a disc that can handle the extra force without turning over. Chances are the disc will hit the ground before being allowed to fade and thus a straighter throw.

Seems to work for me, but I'm half delusional.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattallica View Post
bad handle. bad advice.

you want something understable, but with a ton of glide (katana?) for uphill shots. hang em high and let em go straight and max out the flight path.

something fast and understable (flippy katana?) for downhill shots, sos it maxes out the flippy hyzer flip line.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 100
Great question. I don't get to play a lot of elevated courses but for downhill shots I think discing down to mids and putters works wonders. Hole 1 at Lake's Edge in Reidsville, NC for example, my buddy was a little intimidated which surprised me but I deuced it easily by sending a Neb right down the pipe.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 108
Would you not want to throw slower discs down hills? Did I not read somewhere that every 3 feet of elevation equates to 1 foot of distance? So, maybe slower discs downhill (putters), and faster discs uphill? I could be wrong, but I think I've heard something like this before. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would tend to think with this in mind that under/overstable would depend more on how straight the fairway is or isn't, and which way it curves, and how soon it curves relative to the tee shot. Again, I could easily be mistaken.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattallica View Post
Without a doubt man....with out a doubt.

The higher you throw a disc the more stable it becomes. The lower you throw a disc, the more understable it becomes.

And the Katana uphill is a bad idea. If you read the Innova discription of it on their site..."Downhill distance"

Whoever is saying uphill throw more stable, downhill less stable....you've got it backwards for sure.

Last edited by TxDiscGolfBoy; 02-24-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
whatever disc has a straighter more predictable fade for you works best. remember to throw parallel to the fairway not the tee. when throwing uphill add the height of the basket to the distance (ex., 230ft hole and 20ft up throw a 250ft throw.) when throwing down do the reverse. thats a general formula, not perfect but its a good point to start with and learn from experience after that.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDiscGolfBoy View Post
Without a doubt man....with out a doubt.

The higher you throw a disc the more stable it becomes. The lower you throw a disc, the more understable it becomes.

And the Katana uphill is a bad idea. If you read the Innova discription of it on their site..."Downhill distance"

Whoever is saying uphill throw more stable, downhill less stable....you've got it backwards for sure.
the advantage of throwing an overstable disc uphill is that it naturally wants to pop up.

if you can place an understable disc at the proper height, it has more time and distance to work a clear, high flight line. overstable discs may work for uphill shots, but they make you work harder for an inferior result. save that setup for a headwind.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary View Post
the advantage of throwing an overstable disc uphill is that it naturally wants to pop up.

if you can place an understable disc at the proper height, it has more time and distance to work a clear, high flight line. overstable discs may work for uphill shots, but they make you work harder for an inferior result. save that setup for a headwind.
I've not used the katana but do throw the Kite (this thing floats forever) alot and I use my valk for long distances and an aero for shorts, when I need something understable.

So using these discs and letting them do their natural thing should gain the result I seek. HMMM.