Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 PM

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 4
Legal Disc Weights

I apologize if this topic has already been posted. I wanted to know if there are legal weights for discs. How little and how much can they weigh and still be tournament legal. I want to pick up several new drivers but don't want to invest in something if it's not tourny legal. I've tried googling DG rules but haven't really found too much as of yet. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
The legal weight is based on the diameter of the disc, so it is different from disc to disc. I'm not sure of the rule, but most drivers are right around the 21.0 cm diameter limit and their legal weight limit is 175 g. Mid ranges are generally larger like a 21.7 cm diameter and are legal to 180 g. The absolute most a disc can weigh and still be legal is 200 g.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

B. The guidelines for golf discs are set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards Document. To be
legal in PDGA competition, a disc must:

(1) have a saucer-like configuration with a flight plate unbroken by perforations and an inner rim depth which exceeds five percent of the outside disc diameter. The flight plate is defined as the upper (or dorsal) section of the disc;
(2) be made of solid, non-magnetic plastic material, without any inflatable components;
(3) not be less than 21 cm in outside disc diameter, nor exceed 40 cm in outside disc diameter; (4) not exceed 8.3 g per cm in outside disc diameter;
(5) not exceed a maximum weight of 200 g;

(6) be essentially as produced, without any post-production modifications which affect the weight or flight characteristics;
(7) be of a production-type disc available commercially to the public in numbers of at least 1500 in the case of a new mold or 500 in the case of a renamed disc out of a previously approved mold;
(8) present no unreasonable and no unusual danger to players or spectators;
(9) have a rim configuration rating of 26.0 or greater;
(10) pass the leading edge radius test with a 1/16" (1.6 mm) radius gauge;
(11) have a flexibility rating no greater than 27 lb. (12.25 kg); and
(12) have been certified for competition by the PDGA Technical Standards Committee.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

If you go to this page:

http://www.pdga.com/tech-standards

and click on "PDGA Approved Discs & Targets," it will bring up a list of all approved discs. The legal weight limit for each disc is in the first column after the disc model.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 AM

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 4
Cool ...thanx all. Just one last question. Is there a minimum weight a disc can be?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGryphon View Post
Is there a minimum weight a disc can be?
No..
Old 12-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 119
I wouldn't think many major disc manufacturers would make an illegal disc. If they make one that is not legal, it should inform the consumer it is not a PDGA approved disc.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 18
The PDGA approval is usually molded on the bottom of the disc. If it is NOT there, it is probably not an approved model.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:22 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zud00 View Post
I wouldn't think many major disc manufacturers would make an illegal disc. If they make one that is not legal, it should inform the consumer it is not a PDGA approved disc.
Buyer beware...overweight discs make it out of the shop from time to time. Gateway will sell overweight discs figuring that if you play in PDGA-sanctioned events you should know the rules enough to know if the disc is overweight, and if you don't play in PDGA-sanctioned events and want to throw a 186 g Wizard...well, why not? So they are out there, and there are no special markings on them to let you know they are illegal...other than the illegal weight clearly marked on the bottom. I've also seen overweight discs from Innova and Discraft, although my understanding is those were goofs that slipped out of the shop. So (as with everything in life) it's pretty much up to you to understand the rules and know what you are looking for.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 18
So that would mean the mold is approved but not necessarily all discs made from that mold.