Disc Golf Store
Old 12-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 40
Multiple Stamp Discs

I was wondering if discs that have multiple stamps on them (also called X-outs), have different flight characteristics than normal, single stamped discs. I would imagine there would be some difference because they would have been imprinted more times than a regular disc. What I am wondering is how exactly it would make the disc more over or understable; would it make them not fly at all, or maybe it would make them fly further? Ok thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Courses Played: 40
I was just wondering cause I see multiple stamped discs at this store all the time.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Well its kinda complicated, but fundamentally the more stamps you have, the more overstable the disc will be.

I have this Double-Stamped Star Teebird, and man does it fade on me. It fades a lot soon and harder than a Champion Teebird. I also picked up this Quad-Stamped Star Wraith, thats right, i said Quad-Stamped. It has 3 Star Wraith stamps and 1 DX Eagles stamp. This Wraith has almost no turn compared to a Champion Wraith.

I recommend multiple stamped discs to anyone looking for more overstable discs than what is currently out there.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 20
Send a message via ICQ to gusc2375
I have a 3 stamped star Wraith and can not tell it from my pro wraith both fly well and turn about the same. I have also taken off the stamps to dye it blue and orange this didn't change it either.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyRocs View Post
Well its kinda complicated, but fundamentally the more stamps you have, the more overstable the disc will be.

I have this Double-Stamped Star Teebird, and man does it fade on me. It fades a lot soon and harder than a Champion Teebird. I also picked up this Quad-Stamped Star Wraith, thats right, i said Quad-Stamped. It has 3 Star Wraith stamps and 1 DX Eagles stamp. This Wraith has almost no turn compared to a Champion Wraith.

I recommend multiple stamped discs to anyone looking for more overstable discs than what is currently out there.
I appreciate your experiences but I honestly do not think the the stamp has any relation to stability. I do know that many runs are different, so I think this may have more to do with what you are experiencing.

If what you were saying was the case, would a more detailed stamp not be more understable than a less detailed stamp and would it not be possible to remove a stamp with acetone to make a disc more overstable?

Last edited by blang; 12-26-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 35
I've used a double stamped DX Sidewinder and did not notice any difference in how it flew. Thought the double stamp looked better than the single stamp too. Wish I hadn't lost it in a lake. Replaced it in Star plastic, but I'll be picking up another DX one soon.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 18
I'm wondering if there was a substantial difference in flight whether the top pros would use specially stamped discs. Has anyone seen any rules regarding stamps beyond the limitation on any noticeable change to the disc surface?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by borndasaur View Post
I'm wondering if there was a substantial difference in flight whether the top pros would use specially stamped discs. Has anyone seen any rules regarding stamps beyond the limitation on any noticeable change to the disc surface?
I do not think that I am going out on a limb by saying that there is not only no substantial difference, but no difference at all in what stamp a disc has.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 188
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'd be surprised if the stamp on the disc had any noticeable difference on the flight.

ERic

Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoffro
I buy X-outs regularly and in bulk, as I work with kids at a non-profit agency and we have a small course on the agency's property. I throw these discs with the kids rather than my own discs. I haven't noticed any difference between the flights of the discs in my bag versus the same discs that are X-outs and are of similar weight.

I would be interested in hearing from those that dye. I know this process entails removing the existing stamp first (therefore removing a bit of plastic). My guess would be that these guys report the same flight prior to the removal of the stamp when compared to after. Just a guess.