Disc Golf Store
Old 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 18
Please pick my bag apart....

I think that I have my bag pretty pared down right now, and to be honest, there are only about 4-5 discs that I use all the time; the rest are basically utility discs that I use for certain shots if my main lineup can't quite meet the need. If you don't mind, help me pick out the spots where there are holes or too much overlap. I play on a variety of different courses; heavily wooded (will make you carry a gun incase you need to shoot yourself) and also open, very long courses (longest near me that I play has a 692' open shot on it) Also, I am mainly a RHBH player, and am finally attempting to learn RHFH due to the need to become more versatile.

Here is the selection of discs, segregated by function:

Drivers (Mostly fairway speed since I can drive my teebirds out to 400' if needed):

1) 175g Echo Star Teebird - relatively stable-overstable and new. I got my first ace with its twin brother about a month ago, so that one was retired and this one was commissioned.
2) 175g 12x Champion Teebird - seasoned, amazing straight flyer with a little fade on the end.
3) 175g Star TL (not sure if this disc is needed anymore; kinda like a baby blanket since it was the first driver I could throw really well. And I guess I carry it as backup in case my Champ Teebird goes AWOL.)
4) 175g Champion Leopard - Finesse drives, and tunnel-wooded-low ceiling drives up to 275-325'.
5) 175g Champion Banshee - This disc is my baby. It is great for straight drives out to 350' that need a very strong fade, or windy shots. Also used for flicks, thumbers, and tomahawks. I use this disc as much as my teebirds.
6) 175g GL Halo - This is one of my newest additions. I LOOOOOOOVE this disc. Has replaced my Destroyer for uber-warp disc, ie when >400' is needed. If you don't have one, or haven't tried one yet, GO BUY ONE or try one out.

Utility Drivers (not used for many shots; only when the opportunity presents):

1) 173g ESP Predator - for longer windy shots that I can't reach with my Banshee, or long hyser bombs
2) 175g Champion Roadrunner - Rollers, big anny shots, and tailwind drives
3) 175g beaten Champion Wraith - Big anny shots that I need to fade a little at the end and not turn into a roller
4) 173g Optoline Halo - New disc added with its GL brother. Is stronger into the wind and more stable than its GL sibling. Also an amazing disc.
5) 174g Optoline Striker - Still trying to figure the disc out. I have it in my bag right now just to throw as an additional shot after my main drive until I learn it better.

Mids (still learning these, since I have always used my putters as my midrange discs): Here are the choices....

1) 178g GL Core - Amazing disc. This particular one is pretty domey and stable; it flies a bit like a KC Roc.
2) 177g Glow Z Buzzz - New disc I have put in my bag secondary to discspeed's suggestions. I like the ESP Buzz quite much, so we'll see how this one flies.
3) 180g Star Stingray - I'll admit; I have been using this mid for about 6 months or so now. This one is also pretty stable according to a friend that has thrown stingrays for some time now. My go-to disc for straight shots (when released on a hyser) or tight tunnels out to 275-300, or when I need an anny mid.
4) 178g ESP Meteor - "In" the bag, but in a side pocket (reserve lineup). Still learning it, but I understand it is very similar to the stingray, just with a little better glide.
5) 178g ESP Buzzz - The one mentioned above. Great disc also. Just want to see how the Glow compares to this one.

Putters:

1) 180g SSS Wizard - This is a "true" SSS, and is my main straight driving putter when a little fade is needed, and also my main putting-putter (if that makes sense).
2) 175g R-Pro Pig - My favorite disc in my bag. I can toss this disc regularly and easily out to 300-320' if I have enough room to the right. Also my windy putting-putter.
3) 175g SSS Magic - Also a "true" SSS. New to my bag, but I think I will be trying it out for short anny drives and straight drives when I don't need any fade at the end.
4) 178g ESP Zone - A possible replacement for my Pig. They honestly fly the exact same. I know of the whole argument "don't fix it if it isn't broken", but the reason I am trying it out is due to the durability of the plastic. The ESP is a lot more durable than R-Pro = longer life until I need to replace it.

Please nit-pick this list, and if there are any suggestions, please don't hesitate to let me know. Also, I have a ton of discs, so if you think that there may be another disc that may be better, let me know because I probably have it.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
I say drop the Banshee and TL, the Pred and Leo/RR should cover those shots. Maybe snag a lighter goldline Halo in the 160s for calm days, if you're using it for max D there's no reason really for two heavy weight ones. Maybe a Z Wasp for an overstable mid to hit hyzers you use your Banshee for. I don't know, I got nothing.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I say drop the Banshee and TL, the Pred and Leo/RR should cover those shots. Maybe snag a lighter goldline Halo in the 160s for calm days, if you're using it for max D there's no reason really for two heavy weight ones. Maybe a Z Wasp for an overstable mid to hit hyzers you use your Banshee for. I don't know, I got nothing.
Yeah, I think I'll drop the TL out of the bag, but I'm goona have a hard time letting the Banshee go. Good idea on the lighter Halo; that thought had crossed my mind the other day, but I had completely forgotten about it.

I haven't thrown a Wasp before; how is the rim when compared to the Roc? The rim is the one thing that keeps me from using the Roc on a regular basis, as I find it uncomfortable as it always rubs my index finger the wrong way.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 20
Keep the Banshee
Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmed10 View Post
Yeah, I think I'll drop the TL out of the bag, but I'm goona have a hard time letting the Banshee go. Good idea on the lighter Halo; that thought had crossed my mind the other day, but I had completely forgotten about it.

I haven't thrown a Wasp before; how is the rim when compared to the Roc? The rim is the one thing that keeps me from using the Roc on a regular basis, as I find it uncomfortable as it always rubs my index finger the wrong way.
Wasp is basically Discraft's version of the Roc. Same bead and general shape, Wasps come with generally flat tops though. It's tough trying to think of a good, beadless overstable mid. I throw Nebulas b/c they fit right b/w a Wasp and a Buzzz and they're beadless, they're usually as overstable as I need, especially thrown with hyzer. But they're hard to find and possibly oop. A Cro might work but it's more speed overstable than true overstable I think.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk Finn View Post
Keep the Banshee
That's the way I was leaning....

I used the Meteor today also. I always thought my Stingray had a pretty good amount of glide, but the Meteor was ridiculous. It is a bit more understable than my Stingray, but I really liked the flight line and the feel of the disc in my grip.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Wasp is basically Discraft's version of the Roc. Same bead and general shape, Wasps come with generally flat tops though. It's tough trying to think of a good, beadless overstable mid. I throw Nebulas b/c they fit right b/w a Wasp and a Buzzz and they're beadless, they're usually as overstable as I need, especially thrown with hyzer. But they're hard to find and possibly oop. A Cro might work but it's more speed overstable than true overstable I think.
I could also carry a Star Gator (which I have one luckily), since the Star version doesn't have a bead. Plus the Gator is about as overstable as they come....
Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I could also carry a Star Gator (which I have one luckily), since the Star version doesn't have a bead. Plus the Gator is about as overstable as they come....
Sound choice, since you're keeping the Banshee you don't need a lot of D out of a meathook mid anyway, therefore try a Drone if you feel frisky or the Gator doesn't work out.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Birdie Member

I threw the Drone and Gator the other day to compare them, and the two discs flew almost exactly the same. I think the Gator was a little bit more comfortable though, for me atleast.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
Here ya go.

Quote:
Here is the selection of discs, segregated by function:

Drivers (Mostly fairway speed since I can drive my teebirds out to 400' if needed):

1) 175g Echo Star Teebird - relatively stable-overstable and new. I got my first ace with its twin brother about a month ago, so that one was retired and this one was commissioned.
2) 175g 12x Champion Teebird - seasoned, amazing straight flyer with a little fade on the end.
3) 175g Star TL (not sure if this disc is needed anymore; kinda like a baby blanket since it was the first driver I could throw really well. And I guess I carry it as backup in case my Champ Teebird goes AWOL.)

Utility Drivers (not used for many shots; only when the opportunity presents):

1) 173g ESP Predator - for longer windy shots that I can't reach with my Banshee, or long hyser bombs
2) 175g Champion Roadrunner - Rollers, big anny shots, and tailwind drives
3) 175g beaten Champion Wraith - Big anny shots that I need to fade a little at the end and not turn into a roller

Mids (still learning these, since I have always used my putters as my midrange discs): Here are the choices....

2) 177g Glow Z Buzzz - New disc I have put in my bag secondary to discspeed's suggestions. I like the ESP Buzz quite much, so we'll see how this one flies.
3) 180g Star Stingray - I'll admit; I have been using this mid for about 6 months or so now. This one is also pretty stable according to a friend that has thrown stingrays for some time now. My go-to disc for straight shots (when released on a hyser) or tight tunnels out to 275-300, or when I need an anny mid.
4) 178g ESP Meteor - "In" the bag, but in a side pocket (reserve lineup). Still learning it, but I understand it is very similar to the stingray, just with a little better glide.

Putters:

1) 180g SSS Wizard - This is a "true" SSS, and is my main straight driving putter when a little fade is needed, and also my main putting-putter (if that makes sense).
2) 175g R-Pro Pig - My favorite disc in my bag. I can toss this disc regularly and easily out to 300-320' if I have enough room to the right. Also my windy putting-putter.
3) 175g SSS Magic - Also a "true" SSS. New to my bag, but I think I will be trying it out for short anny drives and straight drives when I don't need any fade at the end.