Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 4
Basket hole numbers.

I'm interested in helping out with one of my local courses. While we have some very nice baskets, there are no numbers on the tops to indicate which hole they are for. This course is on a small rectangular piece of land and since holes are occasionally near each other or don't stand out in the wooded areas, I'm hoping to help add numbers to the tops of the baskets. I was curious if there was a size restriction. Even though there are no tournaments held on the course I would like to help by making things regulation size in case a tournament is held there someday. I would like to make the numbers "pop" from a distance so I would also appreciate some feedback as to what color combos work best. For example: chartruese with black numbers. Thanks for reading and I hope yall have some suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 684
Gryphon,

I think that's a great idea for any courses, especially one with mutiple baskets visible. This is a quote from my review of NSRA courses in Sedro Wooley, WA.

Send a message to sk8architecture who designed that course. He'll give you the details on thoses great signs.

Quote:
And finally, my favorite feature of this course! Each basket has a large number sign welded to the top, visible from 350 feet. Why doesn't everyone do that?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 18
What type of baskets are they? Discatcher, other .... ?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:45 PM

chainstar

They are chainstar baskets. Too get an idea why I want large numbers check out Malabar Disc Golf course. I also did a review on it. There is only one picture uploaded. The pic looks a little old as they have cleared up the area a bit. I don't want anyone to take anything I say the wrong way. I'm not saying my home course is bad. It's very fun and peaceful there, I just want to make it better.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Birdie Member

I see what you mean. From the sound of it, TVK has the right idea for you. A 5" or 6" diameter metal disc, bright yellow with black numbers, welded to the top of the pole works well.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 AM

Thanx for the input. Other suggestions are always welcome.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 46
Seems like there would be some sort of rule where the sign has to be a certain size.
I have seen the DGA Mach III's stop a few errant high throws and drop it in near the basket.
In other words, hitting the number plate puts you disc close to the basket whereas the same throw at the Disccatcher goes way past.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Seems like there would be some sort of rule where the sign has to be a certain size.
I have seen the DGA Mach III's stop a few errant high throws and drop it in near the basket.
In other words, hitting the number plate puts you disc close to the basket whereas the same throw at the Disccatcher goes way past.

The larger ring around the chain hangers of a Discatcher deflect shots that may be good in a Mach III or a Chainstar. Both designs have their rewards and punishments for borderline shots.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by borndasaur View Post
I see what you mean. From the sound of it, TVK has the right idea for you. A 5" or 6" diameter metal disc, bright yellow with black numbers, welded to the top of the pole works well.
I agree, black numbers on a yellow field are by far the easiest to see. They don't make traffic signs like this way for nothing

Old 12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by borndasaur View Post
The larger ring around the chain hangers of a Discatcher deflect shots that may be good in a Mach III or a Chainstar. Both designs have their rewards and punishments for borderline shots.
So you are saying that the Mach III is ten times more friendly since it has something on the top to stop errant high throws and doesn't have that nasty ring to knock high throws down to the ground to roll away.