Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 52
Send a message via Yahoo to skottyb
Yes it is actually in a state park... they do a great job with maintenance so we'd like to keep them as pleased as possible..

We do have a local hook up on free bricks... we were thinking about painting the top of these white and digging them into the ground to create an OB line.. I am not sure if this has been done before..
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 18
If the park people are okay with the bricks that sounds like a good idea. The value of a good working relationship with the parks dept. cannot be overstated.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Oh tell me about it!!!

Thanks for the input..!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottyb View Post
Yes it is actually in a state park... they do a great job with maintenance so we'd like to keep them as pleased as possible..

We do have a local hook up on free bricks... we were thinking about painting the top of these white and digging them into the ground to create an OB line.. I am not sure if this has been done before..
I know that the course at Tyler SP, they enacted an OB by simply delineating a mow/no-mow area. It is quite clear that the higher no-mow area is OB and that the mowed area is in play.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 18
You're welcome. Let me know if you ever venture south to Charlotte.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Disc View Post
Hands down the best "improvement" would be to add additional sleeves for alternate placements, there by eliminating any potential safety conflicts and may eliminate the need for OB or Mandos.
This has been well debated in another thread already, but I think alternate tees are a more valuable addition than alternate pin placements.

ERic
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
IMO, don't just put an OB in just to make it harder. I think that OB should only be used for safety concerns and for protection of areas that need to be off limits.
I think the use of OB & Mandos to increase the challenge of a course is a perfectly valid thing to do. And actually when done to increase the difficulty of a hole works well because the skilled players can choose to play with the OB/Mando rules while recreational players can opt not to use them. That's something you can't really do with basket placements or a single set of tees.

Quote:
If you want a visual OB, survey stakes work well painted white or yellow.
I agree there. White stakes in the ground every ~100' work well for defining OB lines and are very low cost and low maintenance. For casual rounds you just eyeball whether the disc is beyond the imaginary line between the stakes. For tournaments you can use string from stake to stake to mark a definitive OB line.

ERic
Old 01-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERicJ View Post
This has been well debated in another thread already, but I think alternate tees are a more valuable addition than alternate pin placements.

ERic
For cost effectiveness... $35 for a new sleeve & cement, or $600 for a new tee.

"I think the use of OB & Mandos to increase the challenge of a course is a perfectly valid thing to do. And actually when done to increase the difficulty of a hole works well because the skilled players can choose to play with the OB/Mando rules while recreational players can opt not to use them. That's something you can't really do with basket placements or a single set of tees."

You would probably agree though that perhaps a redesign of the hole could infact be a better option than adding an OB or mando just for difficulty sake. There would really be no need to add OB if its just for difficulty, during a tourney the TD could establish OB or Mandos if necessary and rec players can continue to play as usual.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 683
This is a little off the track from what has been talked about but in my most humble opinion, some of the cheapest upgrades (if it's needed) to any course are signs and pointers to help with navigation. Everything from;

1. A spoke painted on the basket that points to the next tee

2. Simple little arrows and signs in the ground pointing to the next tee, showing distance and par, etc.

3. Painted numbers and directional arrows on concrete tee pads

4. Easy to read maps available

5. The hole number written in sharpie on the pole of the basket

None of these especially help the local player but newbies and visitors will appreciate any and all of them. Unless you're lucky and have one of thoses rare courses that just flows and is easy to follow.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERicJ View Post
I think the use of OB & Mandos to increase the challenge of a course is a perfectly valid thing to do. And actually when done to increase the difficulty of a hole works well because the skilled players can choose to play with the OB/Mando rules while recreational players can opt not to use them. That's something you can't really do with basket placements or a single set of tees.
ERic
Thanks for your input, thats kind of how I took it too. It's mostly for safety but the seasoned players really like the difficulty.. especially since the hole is only 210, with a tight fairway and a low ceiling cover...