Old 01-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 52
Send a message via Yahoo to skottyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkyrie Kid View Post
This is a little off the track from what has been talked about but in my most humble opinion, some of the cheapest upgrades (if it's needed) to any course are signs and pointers to help with navigation. Everything from;

1. A spoke painted on the basket that points to the next tee

2. Simple little arrows and signs in the ground pointing to the next tee, showing distance and par, etc.

3. Painted numbers and directional arrows on concrete tee pads

4. Easy to read maps available

5. The hole number written in sharpie on the pole of the basket

None of these especially help the local player but newbies and visitors will appreciate any and all of them. Unless you're lucky and have one of thoses rare courses that just flows and is easy to follow.

Thanks, we already have this covered. The course is very thorough with its signs.. I agree that signs pointing to the next basket are great, I wish other courses would do this as well. Cheap, easy, and effective.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Disc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERicJ View Post
This has been well debated in another thread already, but I think alternate tees are a more valuable addition than alternate pin placements.
For cost effectiveness... $35 for a new sleeve & cement, or $600 for a new tee.
IF you have concrete tees to begin with. Or even if you do, nothing says the alt tees need to be concrete as well. A 4x4" toeboard in the ground works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Disc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERicJ View Post
I think the use of OB & Mandos to increase the challenge of a course is a perfectly valid thing to do. And actually when done to increase the difficulty of a hole works well because the skilled players can choose to play with the OB/Mando rules while recreational players can opt not to use them. That's something you can't really do with basket placements or a single set of tees.
You would probably agree though that perhaps a redesign of the hole could infact be a better option than adding an OB or mando just for difficulty sake. There would really be no need to add OB if its just for difficulty, during a tourney the TD could establish OB or Mandos if necessary and rec players can continue to play as usual.
Why would you need to redesign the hole if it's a perfectly good hole to begin with? Again, an OB region might just add additional difficulty for the better players. Why restrict that to only tournament play?

ERic
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: LHBH
Since you have a hookup for free bricks, you could add alt tees to the holes. As ERicJ said, they dont need to be concrete. Obviously players who prefer the concrete tees can shoot form them as normal, but this way players craving a little variety can choose to use the alt tees instead, or play from both to make 18 into 36, or 9 into 18.

The best way to do it would probably be to sink two bricks into the ground, naturally with parks dept mowing crew permission, to form the front of the tee. Paitn them a bright color so they will be seen, and put the hole # and distance on the bricks. You could even put the par, if it changes from the regular tee, in case you get real crazy with the alts (add or subtract 200ft from distance)

If you have room to add a more challenging tee to all/most of the holes, do it. Note adding distance doesnt always mean added challenge, since it can sometimes open up the hole more and create mroe options. Also, a shorter set of tees for beginners is an easy addition (since they are likely in the middle of the fairways) and a welcome one for newbies
Old 01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Here's some pics of the quick little bricks I installed at one park where we didn't have permission to put in any upright visible tee markers:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ericjubi...QuailValleyDGC
Just spray paint and Sharpie on those.

Here's some other pics of much nicer bricks that I did for another park where I had permission to install markers for a set of Alt tees that I designed:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ericjubi...MarkerStencils
Spray paint for the base color and the stenciled lettering. I printed the custom stencils from the computer with a stencil font and then cut them out. That took a while, but made the painting process go much faster.

Generally P&R departments are agreeable to flush bricks because they aren't visually obtrusive and they can mow right over the top of them when necessary.

ERic
Old 01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Eagle Member

Woah.. !!! snake !!!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottyb View Post
Woah.. !!! snake !!!
Several herpitologists at the Houston Zoo ID'ed it as a Diamondback Watersnake:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamondback_water_snake

There were two of them in that same tree at the tournament on Saturday. I could have gotten much better pictures but didn't have my camera with me... They're big ones, at least 3' long.

ERic
Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Eagle Member

I'm not afraid of snakes but if I encountered one of those on the course I'd sh!t myself!! haha.

We do have a family of skunks (they like to play in the fairway), and 2 bald eagles that stick around our local course...

That could be a whole different topic in itself... what type of animals do you encounter on the course.

by the way, I like the Alt Signs.. are those strictly signs?? grass teeing area?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
by the way, I like the Alt Signs.. are those strictly signs?? grass teeing area?
Thanks. Most of the Houston area courses are grass/dirt/natural tees. Concrete tee pads are not very prevalent here. The reasoning I've heard is that the Houston Parks & Rec Department won't approve them and their reasoning is that it'd be a hassle to mow around them. It falls on deaf ears when you point out they have just as many concrete picnic table bases that they're already successfully mowing around. They just can't seem to view them as concrete picnic table bases without the tables.

ERic
Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Hello, I am wondering what type of upgrades too a course would be a good idea...

Any thoughts suggestions.. of course being $$$ friendly is key...
you could try planting some trees right in front of the hole. this is done on two hole sat my local course and frustrates some of us. plus its just another obstacle.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 50
winthrop gold, and some other courses i've seen and played have used bricks to frame an elevated basket, just something to consider since you have access to lots of bricks. just google "winthrop gold photos", and you will see the basket on #9 that i am talking about.

this would be a great visual feature, and by elevating the basket, it may add a little bit of a different challenge.

also, not sure how much they would cost to install, but sand traps are a nice visual feature that are used on courses in my area. they are played as OB, so they do add to the challenge, as well as the look and feel of a hole.