Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahawk View Post
winthrop gold, and some other courses i've seen and played have used bricks to frame an elevated basket, just something to consider since you have access to lots of bricks. just google "winthrop gold photos", and you will see the basket on #9 that i am talking about.

this would be a great visual feature, and by elevating the basket, it may add a little bit of a different challenge.

also, not sure how much they would cost to install, but sand traps are a nice visual feature that are used on courses in my area. they are played as OB, so they do add to the challenge, as well as the look and feel of a hole.
I know people are divided over elevated baskets, but I really like them a lot. My home course, Tyler State Park has several and they do add a different dimension of difficulty. They can be especially useful to change up a otherwise simple hole. So I would also recommend possibly incorporating an elevated basket or two.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
The best thing to improve in my opinion is more tees and if possible ones that actually change the character of the holes not just make them longer. Elevated pins can be neet on a few holes.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: LHBH
Well, since the goal is to do it on the cheap, and you said you had a hookup on free bricks, Alt tees with two painted bricks to mark the front seems like a no-brainer. For the cost of a can of spray paint and a sharpie marker, you could take a shovel and do Alt tees on the whole course in one afternoon.

Might be a good, safe idea to start with that. If you still want to do more serious stuff like elevated baskets, planting trees or landscaping holes, then do that too, but (to me) it makes sense to start with the easy, cheap solution and see how far that takes you first