Old 10-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 94
Inscribing Lifestyle into Underutilized Landscapes

DISC GOLF COURSE DESIGN: Inscribing Lifestyle into Underutilized Landscapes
By Michael G. Plansky

Just got an email to check out this book. Looks like it is coming from a highly academic approach to course design. 388 pages!

Anyone read it? Thoughts, comments? Thinking I will get a copy, the abstract reads well, I think I will like his writing style.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/michael-g-p...-21536550.html
Old 10-15-2014, 10:12 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 193
Looks interesting. What does MLA stand for?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Throwing Style: RHBH
MLA perhaps is Masters in Landscape Architecture?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Yea, looks like it was his thesis project for his masters.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Eagle Member

I caved in and made the purchase. I heard back from the author, he is offering free shipping today only and $5 less than the Lulu cost here.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Consider me piqued.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 317
We've had a guy named "curly" start an account just to make a post on both the Kansas and Nebraska disc golf forums in the last few days, simply to tell us about this disc golf thesis. Considering the OP found out about this via e-mail, I hope this isn't someone's back alley way to sell an otherwise boring book.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 317
Appears he hit the Iowa boards too...

http://www.iowadg.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9661

and the Cincinnati boards....

http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/De...=posts&m=38205

and Reddit....

http://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/com...lly_good_read/

Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 AM

Yes, I'm Curly

"I hope this isn't someone's back alley way to sell an otherwise boring book"

I am the author of this book. My nickname when I deal blackjack (in Tahoe) has been "Curly" for the past 10 years. I've been inspired to professionalize and advance disc golf course design and disc golf culture since I began playing in 1997. I spent the better part of two years delving into the disc golf phenomenon while earning my masters in landscape architecture at cal poly pomona.

The Disc Golf Course Designers group (many of the most respected and experienced designers) fittingly states that a landscape architect is the best professional credential for course design:

http://www.discgolfcoursedesigners.o...itle=Main_Page

My thesis not only contains literature reviews (short summaries) of all existing academic work focusing on disc golf (there have been several), but also seeks to understand its broad attraction and exponential growth rate by examining the trajectories of other "lifestyle" sports in order to more intelligently guide future growth directions. The concept of "PLAY" is fully explored, as well as lessons from ball golf. I know fewer and fewer people have the patience to sit down and read for extended periods of time these days (my book/thesis is actually only 212 pages double-space in the main body, the appendix includes complete interview transcriptions etc...), but I challenge anyone truly passionate and interested in disc golf as a contagious phenomenon to come away "bored" from reading my book... Scarpfish? Have you read it? How do you know its boring...I'll send you a copy at my cost if you like?

As far as joining forums as a "back alley" way to promote my book, I'll just say that after going into huge debt to get my Masters later in life, with ominous student loan payments, I have to be as frugal as possible in my marketing! I initially posted my thesis for free here on a dgcourseview forum:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...bing+lifestyle

You'll see that I got lots of positive responses. I also got positive responses from from landscape design forums. This encouraged me to self-publish, to get some recompense for my grad school expenses over 3 years... Is it so bad to join a forum "just" to share a unique resource to disc golf with others who love the sport? I strive to be part of the "global" disc golf community.
By the way, two of the four southern California courses where I did site analysis and interviews were two of the first permanent courses ever installed: Oak Grove & La Mirada... a valuable historical bookmark. I have paid for an ad here on dgcoursereview and was encouraged by Tim Gostovic (webmaster) to post threads in other forums here. I also pay for an ad on Thesisabstracts.com.

You may very well find my book "boring", and anyone is welcome to pull my forum memberships, but I am prepared to be responsive to ANYONE whose forum I have posted in (many) to continue discussion of the topics I address once my book has been read, making me an active contributing participant in the evolution of disc golf. "esdubya" said he liked my writing style in the "abstract" and was looking forward to reading more. So, judge for yourself?

I prefer to think of my marketing approach as "grassroots" or "front-door", not "back-alley" in today's world of digital mayhem. But I am sorry if you feel I intruded on your forum, and I apologize. Cheers.