Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

View Poll Results: Makes it worth a trip to play DG
Anything is good 12 21.43%
9 mimimum 19 33.93%
12 minimum 1 1.79%
15 minimum 1 1.79%
18 minimum 9 16.07%
18 preferred 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 54
Default Make it worth my while

I am curious as to the minimum number of holes a course needs to warrant a trip to the course. Assume you have options to play other nearby courses (all within 10 miles) of similar quality but with 18 holes.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 116
Throwing Style: RHBH

Ive played some great disc golf holes on weird courses. You might not find the entire course to be the best time ever but some of the odd ball courses with lower ratings can have a really fun hole or 2. Maybe cool view or feature of the park etc also sometimes can be surprising.

Ill never pass up playing a course if im close enough.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30

I have never run across a course with less than 9 holes but I know as far as I am concerned a decent 9 hole course is worth a trip. I just play it twice through! Sometimes the 9 holers are more simple and nice break from "serious" disc golf. Other times they are just less packed during the busy times of the season and its nice to not have to wait at the tee pad every single hole.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 22

Im not much on traveling (i hate driving and riding in a car)but when I do im pretty much only playing the best course with 18+ holes.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: LHBH

If I'm making a trip specifically to play disc golf (defining trip as at least an hour's drive), then my destination has to have at least 18 holes. If it doesn't, and it's not a tournament, I'm not likely to make the effort.

However, if I happen to be passing through or am in town for some other purpose and have time to kill playing disc golf, then any course will do. Well, any well designed and cared for course. I've played some ****ty 18+ holers that weren't worth the time to play even if they'd been in my backyard.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 34

It's more about the ratings for me. I have no problem running through a short course twice. But if it sucks I don't even want to play it once...
Old 01-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 39

This is hard to answer without a bit more info. Generally speaking i'd swing by just about any 9 hole course I was passing by if playing others in the area. But if we are talking about making a (long-ish) trip just for that 1 course...I'd likely want a full 18 or that 9 would have to be special and played a few times through.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 1233

I've traveled significant distance to play 9 holers, some of which I will gladly make the trip for again - Lambs Creek @ Pioneer Grill is 9 holes, and I'll occasionally travel the 1.5 hours to go out for lunch and play a round or two.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo View Post
This is hard to answer without a bit more info. Generally speaking i'd swing by just about any 9 hole course I was passing by if playing others in the area. But if we are talking about making a (long-ish) trip just for that 1 course...I'd likely want a full 18 or that 9 would have to be special and played a few times through.
Yeah, OP needs to word this a bit better. Within 10 miles is nothing, I'd make a visit to a 3 hole course on the side of Mordor at least once, just for giggles.

Now to play a course regularly with similar 18 holers in the area, it would just have to offer something different than those other courses (wooded/open, length, not busy, etc). I'd play a well designed 9 holer just as easily as a mediocre 18. <18 holes doesn't bother me if it's good enough for practice rounds, almost more beneficial really.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 58

Usually anything less than nine holes is an elementary school or KOA campsite that offers nothing other than baskets in some generic flat-lands, so that's why I voted the way I did. Nine holes being the standard, I wouldn't go out of my way to play it unless it offered something unique. However, I'd play any course with any number of holes if it offered a really exceptional layout or rare terrain. It's about the journey, not the destination.