Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Talking Favorite Aspect of Wooded Par 3

What is your Favorite Aspect of a wooded Par 3?

We will be expanding our 12 hole course this fall, eventually to 18 holes. We have a moderately wooded area with mature trees, underbrush, etc. and the land is flat.

Looking to add a loop out and back in the woods, with 2 or 3 holes that can fit and they will be Par 3 Length.

Do you like certain tree positions, basket positions, odd things line a fence, island, longer, really short, huge dogleg, anything. Can be technical, can be something silly or odd. This course is very remote so it's nice to have a little of everything on the course!

Looking for ideas to add a couple fun, unique holes!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2015, 02:13 PM

Courses Played: 12
Not only for par 3's but any woods hole in general I think there needs to be an intended path or paths. Not just throwing a basket behind some trees and hope your disc snakes its way through. If there is an intended path then players know that its on them that they didn't hit the line/path.

Probably some basic knowledge but thought I'd throw that in there.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Discing View Post
Not only for par 3's but any woods hole in general I think there needs to be an intended path or paths. Not just throwing a basket behind some trees and hope your disc snakes its way through. If there is an intended path then players know that its on them that they didn't hit the line/path.

Probably some basic knowledge but thought I'd throw that in there.
^^^^ This!

I LOVE playing wooded courses, but there are wooded courses that absolutely stand above the rest. I think designing a hole, as stated above, to HAVE to be played down the intended path with no short cuts, is the way to go. Defined fairways that reward good shots, rough and trees outside the fairways that punish bad shots.

First course that comes to mind when I think of this type of course is Blue Ribbon Pines. That is a course I Dream of for woods play. Beautifully maintained fairways reward good shots, tough/interesting greens, trouble outside the fairways. Perfection!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 122
I'm partial to window holes---holes where the fairway is wider in places, narrower in places, where there's a point in the fairway where it pinches and there's a gap you have to hit. You can come at it with a slight hyzer or anhyzer or straight, but there's that bit of time that you're watching the disc fly through the wider fairway, wondering if you're going to get through that gap.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 16
There is a local course near me that has a poke and pray hole. Literally for FH and BH. It is a total bummer to play because its truly a good luck chuck tee shot.

Give it a true gap with a path that the thrower can see.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 75
Make a defined fairway, but if it's possible, also make a local route. Don't try to force only 1 line if you can avoid it.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
Make a defined fairway, but if it's possible, also make a local route. Don't try to force only 1 line if you can avoid it.
Me too. I prefer multiple lines to the basket. It keeps the hole from getting old if you have at least a couple of different throws you can attempt. The main fairway should be fair, but other routes can be tighter and more difficult but with a potentially greater reward (ace line perhaps).
Old 07-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
Tons of woodsy par threes around here, the ones I like the most have multiple routes but they are all shots that aren't used much, forehand anhyzer flexes for example. I'm not a huge fan of holes where there isn't a clearly defined line. Hitting what you think is the line, and still praying to not hit trees kind of sucks.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 111
Holes with options for FH or BH anny... Low skip fade or finesse hyzer etc.

Make me throw a shot and execute.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHFH
A clear and well defined fairway. If it's possible for a "local route" that's icing on the cake. And if there's some unique feature that just adds some decoration to that icing. But one clearly defined fairway is critical.