Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Trying to get a hill custom-made for a basket location. Need ideas and examples.

I have a chance to make a really unique, really sweet hole happen.

I am getting a new course installed this month. This is the signature hole: it is the most beautiful hole aesthetically, and it plays great with lots of options [and danger] for your drive. The landing zone off the tee is 200' across a river and behind a huge and wide clump of trees: you have a hyzer or anhyzer route- both of which are through 40' wide windows- to give you a 50' approach shot, or a super easy layup to give yourself a 120' approach. The basket will be elevated, with a 30' green and danger all around the green. Here is a picture of the basket location- the grey rectangle with the pink cross is the current tone pole. It is about 25' up and 35' away from where I was standing when I took the picture.

You can see that the hill is slumping. Right behind the orange barrier, there is a road, so this is getting fixed ASAP. The whole hill is getting re-graded. Well, my thinking is, if they are already re-doing the hill, it wouldn't be too much more money to custom make a sweet basket location on it. I am going to meet with the engineer in charge, and see if he can do something sweet for me. The problem is, I don't know what sweet things to suggest. It could be a flat peninsula that pops out of the hill. It could be a mound that comes up the top. It could be a dip. I really don't know what to ask for. But I want to ask for something. Got any ideas? Or any examples where a hill has been custom-designed to make an awesome basket location?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by aardvarkious; 07-23-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: messed up the image link
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 25
what can you use materials wise? just dirt? or could you afford to use some logs, landscaping stones/rocks etc?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Birdie Member

Just dirt. The idea is that they have to bring in loads of dirt and the heavy equipment to sculpt the hill anyways, so sculpting the dirt a different shape probably (hopefully) isn't super hard or expensive.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 AM

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
I like the peninsula idea
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW5379 View Post
I like the peninsula idea
Me to, just no simple mound or volcano shapes.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
dont do anything too dramatic that would promote erosion issues....that being said I like the idea of a peninsula or even mounds surrounding the basket either 2 on either side or even just one massive one or even 4 surrounding it.....
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 106
Make a cave on a mound!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 24
any chance you can find some materails to build up a small wall to support that sloping hill? just a suggestion im sure it could get expensive but it would look great
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg T53l4.jpeg (62.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Birdie Member

No, it needs to be redone. You can't see it here, but the whole slope is in bad shape- their are huge gorges and cracks running all down it, and a bunch of mini sink-holes. Pluss the top of the hill is a sheer drop ~2' away from the road- I am surprised the road hasn't cracked yet.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 213
it sounds like this course may have future safety issues if erosion is that bad. Are any other holes in jeopardy at this time?