#1  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Kenny53691's Avatar
Kenny53691 Kenny53691 is offline
Noodle Arm
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West of Dayton, OH
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,680
Working on my first course

Quick run down. I got permission to work on a course proposal in my subdivision. I started walking the property 1.5 years ago to watch it through the seasons and taking notes. I local committee got permission to do a course no knowing that I was working on one. I went to the meeting, the love what I have done and now want me to take over, which is great because no I don't have to worry about doing a proposal, lol. They are wanting to order baskets asap, but I don't have a course laid out completely yet. Since this is my first, I talked to a guy to help me out since he has helped with other local courses in the past. That being said, we have walked out the property together last Wednesday and are bouncing ideas off of each other. The maintenance director of the subdivision is wanting to meet with me Saturday with a back hoe and dump truck to start pulling out some old things used for paintball at one time, and I want to get some other things pulled out since I'll have the equipment to get it taken out easily. My first question of many is, what can I go ahead and cut out and not worry about effecting a future possible hole. I know that thorn bushes will be gone, and dead branches on the ground, but is there really anything else. I want most of the honeysuckle bushes gone, me I don't want to get carried away and ruin some good spots. I want to clear out as much as possible now to help us see the overlay a little bit better since the guy working with me has only walked the property once. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM
1978 1978 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charlotte, Nc
Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,797
Anything less than 1" ... clear. You will be amazed how fast it regrows anyway. Stack in neat piles at least 60' from any fairway. If you stack it all together you will be amazed how fast it breaks down, also you can say its is good animal housing. Once you cut you will open up space, other trees will grow into that space and fill up any space that the 1"ers used to in. Only thing I dont cut is holly, but I dont imagine you will have much in OH...I just like it. Cut stuff below ground level so you dont make punji stakes. If something is too big at the root to cut with loppers, cut it at least 2' up, you can go back and cut the stump with a saw later. This will keep you from forgetting and leaving the ankle turner... Remember with foot traffic, the soil will compact 2-3"...so all those stumps you leave at 2" tall will end up being 5' in a few months. Take the time do do it right first.

Once you get all that cut and stacked neatly off the fairway. Take an old mower and mow your fairways.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 AM
bradharris's Avatar
bradharris bradharris is offline
Banned From the Trilogy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Merrimack, NH
Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 70
Posts: 4,119
It's impossible to give you good advice without knowing the land.

However, I can caution you to not be too eager to cut. Have a solid plan in place before you start knocking trees down. Once they're down, you can't go back and change your mind.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,237
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
There are quite a few experienced people in this area that can and will help with course design/installation.
Please look for local advice so they can see what you're working with.

Good luck and congrats!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Jukeshoe's Avatar
Jukeshoe Jukeshoe is offline
<------ your ad here
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 186
Posts: 6,199
There's a lot of collected k-nowledge on the subject here.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
It's impossible to give you good advice without knowing the land.

However, I can caution you to not be too eager to cut. Have a solid plan in place before you start knocking trees down. Once they're down, you can't go back and change your mind.
This.

Even if you're 90% sure something should come down. Just limb it up (if necessary), and wait.

We have a private course where we have complete freedom to cut. It's amazing how many times we've been "pretty sure" we wanted to remove a tree, only to leave it and later realize we're better with it. Heck, this weekend we limbed up a tree that we decided, 2 years ago, to cut down, but hadn't got to it.

Learn to identify tree species, and their structures. Some are more valuable than others, and made more valuable by giving them room to grow. Some drop a lot of branches or other debris; some have branching patterns that are useful, or detrimental, to the course design.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Kenny53691's Avatar
Kenny53691 Kenny53691 is offline
Noodle Arm
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West of Dayton, OH
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Anything less than 1" ... clear. You will be amazed how fast it regrows anyway. Stack in neat piles at least 60' from any fairway. If you stack it all together you will be amazed how fast it breaks down, also you can say its is good animal housing. Once you cut you will open up space, other trees will grow into that space and fill up any space that the 1"ers used to in. Only thing I dont cut is holly, but I dont imagine you will have much in OH...I just like it. Cut stuff below ground level so you dont make punji stakes. If something is too big at the root to cut with loppers, cut it at least 2' up, you can go back and cut the stump with a saw later. This will keep you from forgetting and leaving the ankle turner... Remember with foot traffic, the soil will compact 2-3"...so all those stumps you leave at 2" tall will end up being 5' in a few months. Take the time do do it right first.

Once you get all that cut and stacked neatly off the fairway. Take an old mower and mow your fairways.
Great advice!! Just what I was looking for, thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
It's impossible to give you good advice without knowing the land.

However, I can caution you to not be too eager to cut. Have a solid plan in place before you start knocking trees down. Once they're down, you can't go back and change your mind.
Yea, that was a concern, so I don't see myself cutting down too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
There are quite a few experienced people in this area that can and will help with course design/installation.
Please look for local advice so they can see what you're working with.

Good luck and congrats!!
There is a guy that worked on some local course that I have helping me now. Don't worry, this area isn't full of DGer's yet, but this course will change that, lol. I knew better than to do this alone with no experience.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Kenny53691's Avatar
Kenny53691 Kenny53691 is offline
Noodle Arm
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West of Dayton, OH
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
There's a lot of collected k-nowledge on the subject here.

Good luck!
I've read A LOT of threads on here as well as other articles, but thanks again for posting because now I'll keep that handy to look back on.
Reply With Quote
 

  #9  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 PM
DSmith's Avatar
DSmith DSmith is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greens-bro North Cacka-lacka
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 130
Posts: 644
Japanese Bush Honeysuckle is an invasive species so if I were you imagine it gone. Down the road the city may take it upon them selfs to clear it all out anyway. Don't design holes around it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.