Old 05-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHFH
Lightbulb your perfect nine

The recent 5 disc review of a 9 hole course got me thinking if it is possible for a 9 holer to be worthy of a 5, which lead me here. Then I was bored and decided to dream up what would be my perfect 9.

hole 1: warm up bomber, 400ft open field to basket in a tree jail.
hole 2: tight tree line ace run at 200ft, drop off behind basket.
hole 3: tree lined water hazard from 170ft to 275ft. then basket up on a hillside at 350ft. (rollaways back to the water)
hole 4: top of the world with a wide fairway shrinking toward the basket at 500ft.
hole 5: 450ft over the valley shot with a stream at the bottom and low ceiling w/some openings for over/across the valley shot.
hole 6: 1000ft dogleg with 325ft risky water route.
hole 7: over the hump shot, basket on downslope at 375.ft.
hole 8: mostly open to 300ft, then tight fairway to basket at 425ft.
hole 9: ace run to an elevated basket at 200ft

These are designed with me in mind (uncontrolled max throw @ 400ft.). Now would I give it 5 discs?: the way it plays in my mind, yes.

Let's see you design a 9 hole course. (TerryC's is pretty good, but a little gimmicky)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 119
Here's one that can actually be played---as a loop on an existing course. This is one idea of what a 9-holer could be, though if all you had was this land, you'd probably build an 18-holer of modest length:

#1 - 580', Top of the World shot down a power line right-of-way, with basket tucked into woods on left at the bottom of the hill, with an O.B. creek running behind it.

#2 - 167', tight wooded shot angling uphill, with a dropoff just left of basket and O.B. at the bottom of the dropoff.

#3 - 281', drop-in-the-bucket shot, steep downhill down a narrow fairway to an "island" green.

#4 - 325', level, with a dogleg right to a creek, and a hanging basket barely beyond it.

#5 - 714' tee uphill under an archway, across a open level and then downhill area, then 100' into the woods, with O.B. on 3 sides.

#6 - 235', somewhat uphill with hard dogleg right, and drop-off behind the basket.

#7 - 608', double water crossing, tees to an "island" landing zone, then back across to basket.

#8 - 760', tee off platform high on a hilltop, down fairway with water running along the entire left side, cutting across the corner at the end where you can pick how much water you want to carry, to a basket with a steep drop behind it.

#9 - 498', out a tunnel, across an open area, to a choice of gaps between trees, then across O.B., to a basket on a high mound.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 751
Throwing Style: RHFH
My ideal 9 hole course is Shu Pond, check my signature for details.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...d=2628&mode=ci

Mason Sports Park in Mason, Ohio, is without a doubt the best 9 holer I have played. It has gotten several 4star ratings. If it had another 9 as good as the first it would be close to challenging some of our more famous Cincy area courses.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Here's one that can actually be played---as a loop on an existing course. This is one idea of what a 9-holer could be, though if all you had was this land, you'd probably build an 18-holer of modest length:

#1 - 580', Top of the World shot down a power line right-of-way, with basket tucked into woods on left at the bottom of the hill, with an O.B. creek running behind it.

#2 - 167', tight wooded shot angling uphill, with a dropoff just left of basket and O.B. at the bottom of the dropoff.

#3 - 281', drop-in-the-bucket shot, steep downhill down a narrow fairway to an "island" green.

#4 - 325', level, with a dogleg right to a creek, and a hanging basket barely beyond it.

#5 - 714' tee uphill under an archway, across a open level and then downhill area, then 100' into the woods, with O.B. on 3 sides.

#6 - 235', somewhat uphill with hard dogleg right, and drop-off behind the basket.

#7 - 608', double water crossing, tees to an "island" landing zone, then back across to basket.

#8 - 760', tee off platform high on a hilltop, down fairway with water running along the entire left side, cutting across the corner at the end where you can pick how much water you want to carry, to a basket with a steep drop behind it.

#9 - 498', out a tunnel, across an open area, to a choice of gaps between trees, then across O.B., to a basket on a high mound.
^ Hard to top this... has an wide range of all types of variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...d=2628&mode=ci

Mason Sports Park in Mason, Ohio, is without a doubt the best 9 holer I have played. It has gotten several 4star ratings. If it had another 9 as good as the first it would be close to challenging some of our more famous Cincy area courses.
From my review of Mason:
Quote:
Mason really had me thinking about ratings, especially since I haven't awarded anything higher than a 3.0 to a nine basket course - and both of those have dual tees offering different looks at the pin... Mason doesn't. If Mason had another nine holes as good as the ones it already has, I'd give it a 4.0... but it doesn't.

IMHO, Mason's definitely better than "good." I say that because walking back to the car, I realized I'd rather play two rounds at Mason than one round at most 3.0 courses, but don't think I'd choose it over a truly excellent course… that's how I arrived at 3.5.
While it's the best niner I've played to this point, I can't see adding another 9 holes of similar quality quite elevating it to the level of Idlewild or Mt. Airy. If the majority of the theoretical add'l holes took things to another level, then maybe. One drawback is the way the parking lot and walking paths can come into play. IMHO, 4.5 and 5.0 courses really can't have that.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 05-15-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:10 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
Let's see you design a 9 hole course. (TerryC's is pretty good, but a little gimmicky)
Lulz, TerryC is a super solid dude, and one of the most fun & hilarious people I've had the honor to disc with...if you ever get a chance, definitely throw a round with the guy!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 43
Ugh I just erased a long post talking about using holes 1-4 14-18 (4345ft if all were in long positions) at Mt Airy as being an awesome 9holer. I am pissed so I will not redo it.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 211
Well, this got me thinking, they might not be my perfect nine, but what if I could play nine of my favorite holes as a course? There are lots of great holes, but I threw together nine that come to mind for me where they each have me take a breath of appreciation or apprehension each time I get to play them. Wouldn't this make a fun course in your 'back yard'?

A: Coyote Trace #13 - 642' S shaped fairway through beautiful woods to a tricky basket position,
B: AJ Jolly #2 - only 200', but water carry, beautiful lake & usually windy,
C: Lincoln Ridge #20 - 270' through left to right woods gap (or sky hyzer, you big arms!),
D: Mason Sports Park #8 - 360' over blind-from-the-tee creek,
E: The Goat Path #8 - 205' ace run down off a granite boulder outcropping,
F: Simsbury #4 (long) - 468' snaking through a wooded lane to a knoll-top green,
G: Hoover Reservoir Westside #17 - 335' off the dam to an island green, with unique elevation and wind to challenge you,
H: Pike Lake #12 - 540' beauty shot off the point of a ridge, through the ravine and finishing to the right,
I: Idlewild #11 - 441' through the 'Y mando' past creek to landing zone and then postage stamp sized island green back beyond the creek again.

Total distance for nine holes is 3461 feet, but there are some friendly downhill shots in there! (funny how I didn't include any uphillers...)
Old 05-15-2015, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 119
Ah, the All-Star Course. Don't worry about the missing uphill shots; just install a chairlift.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Ah, the All-Star Course. Don't worry about the missing uphill shots; just install a chairlift.
Now you're talking!