Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Hole 1, on beginner course

I am trying to tweak a 9 hole course, first disc golf course in this area.

Hole #1 area has a few trees, so I wanted to take advantage of them. Though, should i make birdie a little easier? Or just try to go for more scoring spread?

I think so far, hole 1 should demonstrate that disc golf is not just point and shoot, but about risk reward. The unused baseball diamond is on the left, and I have classified it as OB.

The image attached of hole #1 is taken from the ground, by the very right edge of the teepad area. When you are standing square on the teepad, the tree on the left has the leaning trunk/branch and it makes it very hard to do a left hand BH hyzer or high right hand BH turning shot . As you can see, there is also a pine tree 7ft or so blocking the target, so even if you pull it off, you'll probably get blocked at getting an ace or easy putt.

Should I move the teepad over to the right a few more feet, and/or bring the target 5 feet closer, giving people a chance to ace the hole?

As it is now, a 3 is easy if you go for a three, but 4 and 5's are possible because of the OB baseball diamon. A three is easy if you aim way right from the baseball diamond, and shoot low and right of the tree 110 feet ahead.

Perhaps if I move the teepad and/or target closer and away from the guarding 7' pine tree, the point spread would increase? And to make the wide right hyzer a little dangerous, I could make the walking path and beyond OB too? So I make it more accessibly to get a 2, but punish people who overshoot 30 feet or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hole1.jpg (144.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg hole1bird.jpg (72.7 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2015, 08:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 174
Throwing Style: RHBH
Personally, saying that I'm not a fan of holes that:
a) are shoehorned in among other park activities
b) throw toward pedestrian traffic, rather than away from it.
... is putting it mildly.

That said, I'm not familiar with this park or the traffic there, and you do say the ball field is unused, so strictly from a "how the hole might play" perspective...

I'd say move the target a bit more to the right, but not necessarily any closer. That should keep the tree in play pretty prominently and reward a few more people able to hit a deuce. If they over drive by more than 30' on a 180' shot, they deserve to be OB. The other advantage I see is would be to make the ball field a bit less of a factor... 'cause having to hop the fence or walk all the way around to get your OB disc really suxxorz. Then again, you do say you want some risk reward.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck!

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Par Member

City/Park doesn't mind walking paths, because pedestrians have right of way and I teach people that. Landing OB in the field does suck, but it's easier to get than if it lands in the water, which is in play...

They were more concerned about shots landed on roads hitting cars more than anything.

I could design Hole 1 on the other side of the diamond, where there is no trees and it's wide open... that isn't challenging though.

Baseballs can hit pedestrians/spectators, just as easily as errant disc... Only difference is, baseballs have killed people, disc golf discs have not.

There is a city sidewalk and walking path within home run range, but a disc is a hazard to pedestrians?

Anyway,that field is only used 6 weeks out of the year apparently maybe a dozen games on it?... So, the city doesn't mind.

Also, maybe in warmer climates other sports have priority.... but why should disc golf courses be second to any other activity? Baseball diamonds cost thousands of dollars a year maintenance, and if your community is in a drought or has a tight fiscal budget, they are kind of wasteful for the amount of public participation you get...

Disc Golf courses should be equal considering how low cost and eco friendly they are. Why can't activities share the space?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCCourseSept27Protourn.jpg (158.7 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by BCDan; 03-29-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 48
It's just a matter of time before the first disc kill.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
It's just a matter of time before the first disc kill.
Unfortunately I agree with this.

No way on earth I would put a disc golf hole in that space.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 1
I think i would move the tee area back try measuring maybe 20' mark it then throw a drive. If that does not work try moving another 10' for a total of 30'. I know you are not trying to make it so it beats the tar out of beginners but it does not look like for the distance it is hard.

Not to beat you up but you posted the course map..... some of the holes look like they are on top of several others. I know you are only askig for comments on the first hole. but has there been any talk of maybe a all new layout to try and maximize space,challenge and make some of the holes safer? I know thats a big under taking and this does sound like it is more focused on kids. I am just not a fan of making a course only for beginners and having a pantom layout for "pros". why not have a good layout combination for starting players and for advanced "pro" players?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Stuff like that was done at a course around here- and the local parks and rec saw the risk and came by and pulled the baskets for the duration of softball season. 4 holes gone for several months. Better to design with no risk.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Unfortunately I agree with this.

No way on earth I would put a disc golf hole in that space.

Maybe in highly used parks , where there are blind corner, I agree.

But, this is a fairly unused park, that is why I put the course here.
In 6 games I've played, I've only spotted 6-8 people TOTAL walking the path throughout the park.

Most courses i have played in Canada at least, it's quite normal.

Many courses in B.C a least, have walking paths intertwined with holes. The course I spent the most time playing, was on Vancouver island, Bowen Park -- There are multiple holes with intertwined walking paths. Hole , 1, and 6 imaged below for example. And they have a lot more foot traffic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bowen6.jpg (80.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg bowen.jpg (98.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCrawford View Post
Stuff like that was done at a course around here- and the local parks and rec saw the risk and came by and pulled the baskets for the duration of softball season. 4 holes gone for several months. Better to design with no risk.

Thanks for heads up. The targets I have in place, I can remove and replant in 10 minutes, so when the 6 week baseball season hits, I can just relocate the hole to other side of the diamond and try to use O.B markers for a challenge.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHFH
Since the field is unused for most of the season, I think the way you have the hole set up is fine. It doesn't look insanely easy or hard. I'm sure once baseball season hits, there will be plenty of traffic in and around the field. I would say to try to relocate the hole during the baseball season like you said. Make sure you add good signage on where the hole usually is so there is no confusion for regulars