Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Working on my first course

Quick run down. I got permission to work on a course proposal in my subdivision. I started walking the property 1.5 years ago to watch it through the seasons and taking notes. I local committee got permission to do a course no knowing that I was working on one. I went to the meeting, the love what I have done and now want me to take over, which is great because no I don't have to worry about doing a proposal, lol. They are wanting to order baskets asap, but I don't have a course laid out completely yet. Since this is my first, I talked to a guy to help me out since he has helped with other local courses in the past. That being said, we have walked out the property together last Wednesday and are bouncing ideas off of each other. The maintenance director of the subdivision is wanting to meet with me Saturday with a back hoe and dump truck to start pulling out some old things used for paintball at one time, and I want to get some other things pulled out since I'll have the equipment to get it taken out easily. My first question of many is, what can I go ahead and cut out and not worry about effecting a future possible hole. I know that thorn bushes will be gone, and dead branches on the ground, but is there really anything else. I want most of the honeysuckle bushes gone, me I don't want to get carried away and ruin some good spots. I want to clear out as much as possible now to help us see the overlay a little bit better since the guy working with me has only walked the property once. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Anything less than 1" ... clear. You will be amazed how fast it regrows anyway. Stack in neat piles at least 60' from any fairway. If you stack it all together you will be amazed how fast it breaks down, also you can say its is good animal housing. Once you cut you will open up space, other trees will grow into that space and fill up any space that the 1"ers used to in. Only thing I dont cut is holly, but I dont imagine you will have much in OH...I just like it. Cut stuff below ground level so you dont make punji stakes. If something is too big at the root to cut with loppers, cut it at least 2' up, you can go back and cut the stump with a saw later. This will keep you from forgetting and leaving the ankle turner... Remember with foot traffic, the soil will compact 2-3"...so all those stumps you leave at 2" tall will end up being 5' in a few months. Take the time do do it right first.

Once you get all that cut and stacked neatly off the fairway. Take an old mower and mow your fairways.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 70
It's impossible to give you good advice without knowing the land.

However, I can caution you to not be too eager to cut. Have a solid plan in place before you start knocking trees down. Once they're down, you can't go back and change your mind.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
There are quite a few experienced people in this area that can and will help with course design/installation.
Please look for local advice so they can see what you're working with.

Good luck and congrats!!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 186
There's a lot of collected k-nowledge on the subject here.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post

However, I can caution you to not be too eager to cut. Have a solid plan in place before you start knocking trees down. Once they're down, you can't go back and change your mind.
This.

Even if you're 90% sure something should come down. Just limb it up (if necessary), and wait.

We have a private course where we have complete freedom to cut. It's amazing how many times we've been "pretty sure" we wanted to remove a tree, only to leave it and later realize we're better with it. Heck, this weekend we limbed up a tree that we decided, 2 years ago, to cut down, but hadn't got to it.

Learn to identify tree species, and their structures. Some are more valuable than others, and made more valuable by giving them room to grow. Some drop a lot of branches or other debris; some have branching patterns that are useful, or detrimental, to the course design.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Noodle Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Anything less than 1" ... clear. You will be amazed how fast it regrows anyway. Stack in neat piles at least 60' from any fairway. If you stack it all together you will be amazed how fast it breaks down, also you can say its is good animal housing. Once you cut you will open up space, other trees will grow into that space and fill up any space that the 1"ers used to in. Only thing I dont cut is holly, but I dont imagine you will have much in OH...I just like it. Cut stuff below ground level so you dont make punji stakes. If something is too big at the root to cut with loppers, cut it at least 2' up, you can go back and cut the stump with a saw later. This will keep you from forgetting and leaving the ankle turner... Remember with foot traffic, the soil will compact 2-3"...so all those stumps you leave at 2" tall will end up being 5' in a few months. Take the time do do it right first.

Once you get all that cut and stacked neatly off the fairway. Take an old mower and mow your fairways.
Great advice!! Just what I was looking for, thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post

Yea, that was a concern, so I don't see myself cutting down too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
There are quite a few experienced people in this area that can and will help with course design/installation.
Please look for local advice so they can see what you're working with.

Good luck and congrats!!
There is a guy that worked on some local course that I have helping me now. Don't worry, this area isn't full of DGer's yet, but this course will change that, lol. I knew better than to do this alone with no experience.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Noodle Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
There's a lot of collected k-nowledge on the subject here.

Good luck!
I've read A LOT of threads on here as well as other articles, but thanks again for posting because now I'll keep that handy to look back on.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 130
Japanese Bush Honeysuckle is an invasive species so if I were you imagine it gone. Down the road the city may take it upon them selfs to clear it all out anyway. Don't design holes around it.