Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
What are the benefits of owning a championship level course?

I recently bought a 25 acre tract and decided to install a disc golf course on it. The initial idea was to build the best championship level course we could using the entire property. It's a beautiful piece of land and I think we could have put a great 8500 ft gold level course on it.

The property happens to be located though in a fairly populous area with a large number of local amateur players. So in the end we decided not to go with a championship level course and instead install two 18 hole "fun" courses. The large one will have red/white/blue tees with a max distance of 6500 ft and the smaller will be a 2000 ft par 2 pitch and putt type course.

I absolutely think we're making the right decision based on the demographics in our area, but I've always wondered what we're going to be missing out on by not installing the championship level course. Can NT's bring in a lot of money or prestige to a course? Do pros only play gold courses? Just what are the benefits of owning a championship, gold level course vs a shorter, amateur type course?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblambert View Post

I absolutely think we're making the right decision based on the demographics in our area, but I've always wondered what we're going to be missing out on by not installing the championship level course. Can NT's bring in a lot of money or prestige to a course? Do pros only play gold courses? Just what are the benefits of owning a championship, gold level course vs a shorter, amateur type course?
An NT can bring prestige but a disc golf course is never going to bring in a lot of money....if money is what you are making your decision on then a disc golf course is probably the last thing you should invest in....as far as pros they will play any course that has enough of a prize pool......but typically that is an a tier or nt which more often than not are at least blue level and more and more at least a tourney gold level layout.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 115
Which would you rather play? Is there a Championship level course in your area? If you are going to be the one working on it and playing it the most, you should design it in a way that fits your life. I have 40 acres but have opted for a shorter fun course that I enjoy playing because I do all the work and play by myself most of the time. I also have optional layouts if I want it to be longer but they take a lot more work. The last two sanctioned events here brought in over 70 players each. Holler in the Hills is right down the road, so if I want to play a bigger course I can go there. Also over time as trees grow or fall you may have new lines open that you didn't see before.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Courses Played: 595
It might be complicated to do this but I wonder if you would be able to design a gold level overlay layout that could be configured temporarily that would use selected tees and pins among the two layouts you are planning?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:38 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 104
That was actually a thought I was trying to put into words lol. Basically the 2 18's become 1 championship level course playing 1 tee to 2 basket and so on. Seems like you could have best of both worlds that way and and not have the gold course take up a ton of land.

The 2 "fun" 18's is a winner IMO. if you can get 100 people per day to come play at $5/pop you will be aiiiiiiight. Now getting that kind of traffic might be hard to do' Seems like leagues and other smaller events are of a greater impact to private courses around here.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 12-30-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It might be complicated to do this but I wonder if you would be able to design a gold level overlay layout that could be configured temporarily that would use selected tees and pins among the two layouts you are planning?
Great idea, except the small course is filled with big metal sculptures, sunken baskets, lighthouses, roller ramps, etc which would all get in the way. Also, the greens on the small course are scaled for ~ 100' holes and would be way undersized for a gold course. Good idea, though!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 117
How are you defining "championship course"?

I think Goatman's advice to design the course you most like to play is excellent. That, and take what the land gives you---don't try to force a gold-level course where it'll be just a mediocre gold-level course.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 117
An 8500' gold course squeezed onto 25 acres sounds like you'd have to use almost every inch of the property, instead of using the best parts and leaving the rest.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I think this is a great option. Who says a course has to only have 18 holes. That's what I love about Stoney Hill. You play a really long 18, then 24+ish holes the next round. Similar overlaying layout. Some are the same hole just spilt up or different baskets on same hole...etc...

Old 12-30-2014, 12:09 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Courses Played: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblambert View Post
Great idea, except the small course is filled with big metal sculptures, sunken baskets, lighthouses, roller ramps, etc which would all get in the way. Also, the greens on the small course are scaled for ~ 100' holes and would be way undersized for a gold course. Good idea, though!
You wouldn't play very many of the existing holes when using the overlay layout and maybe none of the short course holes. Maybe three short holes combined would be a gold hole but that would mean planning both permanent courses so that a temporary gold 18 overlay could be configured without too much extra fiddling around.