Old 11-04-2012, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
IMO long walks are not a big deal as long as the paths are cleared and well marked. Sometimes a long walk is better than a crappy filler hole. I've had some long walks, gotten to the next pad and thought, yeah I get it. That works. Plus if it a private course on your land, screw what others think.

Can you make the down hill walk another short hole, or is that tee pad in the way? Maybe some thing to plan for.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDK27 View Post
Hi, John! I'm designing a private 9 hole course on some family land and it is mostly open with a few interesting features that I would like to include. However, to do this I have what I feel like others may view as long walks from a hole to the next tee area. I was wondering if there a distance you feel is too long for this situation? It is about a football field worth of zig-zagging down a hill and around another tee (which is for the previous hole).
Jim, I'm sorry I never got to this. Over the years, I've made plenty of courses that include walks between holes of 100 yards or more. I've done enough that some people have said it's one of my signature features. (Pretty sure they didn't mean it in a nice way.)

I absolutely value a better hole over a short walk. Some people don't. There are those who think that flow and/or short walks are much more important than having great holes. That's fine; we just disagree.

In any case like this, you need to decide if what you're sacrificing justifies what you're gaining. And you need to accept ahead of time that, whatever you choose, some players will be OK with it (like my new friend Mr. Sloppy), and some players will be disappointed.

In your particular case, you mentioned walking around the previous tee. That's a big psychological hurdle to get over. Players like to feel that they're moving forward, not backward. Unless it's very clear why you had to do it, and the unless the two holes involved are really special, I would go back to the drawing board and see if you can find another way to make it work.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 101
I helped with a design of a course back in 2009. The course is on private land and the owner said we couldn't remove any trees and all baskets needed to be at least 20' from the nearest tree.

The property is larger with some interesting feature and a lake. To get from the nearest parking to the lake and interesing features required some really bland holes or long walks. We opted for the long walks.

If he would allow to have baskets closer to tree and for some trees to be removed, the design would have worked better but its still on of the prettiest courses anywhere.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
Send a message via AIM to superium
Hey John, just curious whats your honest opinion on the courses in the Buffalo, NY area. Knowing you once resided in the area, I wanna know what improvments the courses could use other than the desperate need of concrete tpads.
Thanks, Mark
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
john, my hometown has just got approval to build a 9 hole. I have floated the idea of an island hole out. After reading opinions on this site. I see people seem to be against them. I've seen a couple and like the idea of making someone play technical. Do you think it is a good idea to install one, if its done nicley. We have talked about "rocking" off the island and puttng a couple of trees on the island. Making it about a 185ish shot
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superium View Post
Hey John, just curious whats your honest opinion on the courses in the Buffalo, NY area. Knowing you once resided in the area, I wanna know what improvments the courses could use other than the desperate need of concrete tpads.
Thanks, Mark
Hi, Mark. I left Buffalo for good after college, and that was a long time ago. Most of my visits have been over Christmas -- not the best time for disc golf. So I really don't know much about the Buffalo-area courses, other than Beaver Island. I've walked 2-3 others, but I've never played any, other than the one in Tonawanda in about 1980, and Joseph Davis once or twice.

I did work with Paul Stevens a bit on the redesign of Beaver Island, so there are some holes there I had some input on.

Other than that, all I can say is that I think Chestnut Ridge has (or maybe had) one of the most dangerous holes I've ever seen, and I mentioned it to Doug shortly after the course went in.

If there are courses that need concrete tee pads, that would obviously be a good start. Other than that, I can't really tell you much. Maybe one of these years I'll get a chance to play some more courses up there.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Hey John, I live in Aubrey Tx. I have a friend that has a 9 hole course on his property. Did you by chance design and install this course. I remember him saying that the guy that designed it is the same one that designed Rockwall.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljjdye View Post
Hey John, I live in Aubrey Tx. I have a friend that has a 9 hole course on his property. Did you by chance design and install this course. I remember him saying that the guy that designed it is the same one that designed Rockwall.
Hmm. I am the guy who designed Rockwall, but I've never designed a course in Aubrey. Does your friend maybe live somewhere else? I have done a 9-holer on private property, but it's in central Texas. Not sure what to tell you...
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
I posted this earlier on the forums and was told that here might be a good place to post as well(:

I am currently in the process of getting a disc golf course in the southern san diego area. I have scoped out an area that i believe would be nice (what do i know). But i have emailed the city and they told me that the area was dedicated open space and i would have to work around the regulations of the MHPA. I looked up the MHPA and they state that in dedicated open space there may be low impact activities such as hiking, biking, equestrian (really? horses are low impact?) , etc. Have any of you guys built courses on low impact lands? How can I work around this? Any ideas on my disc golf course progression or next steps is appriciated! Thanks.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Birdie Member

Hey John, I heard awhile back that you were going to design a course in Kemah. Is this happening? I'm very interested as it would be my new home course. Thanks!