Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
I'm no course guru but I'd say that the length of the hole would determine a safe distance. If it's a shorter hole the likelihood of a disc flying by over a 100' isn't that big, however if it's a long hole where players will be driving high speed discs the likelihood of a disc going 100' past the basket is much higher.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
What park? North Meck? Curiosity killed the cat and all that...
Francis Beatty
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 108
Ahh the colonel.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 189
In Va we have one course that has mountain bike trails in close proximity to the course. There really isn't an issue. I was involved in a course proposal on property with three different skill level bike trails. I didn't want any part of it. They offered us another park with even better land for disc golf. Then it got put on hold.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 38
The park I am looking at is Bass River Recreation Area. near allendale Michigan. The eastern portion of the property is not available. we are trying to fit the holes in the 6 miles of bike trails there. I have walked the trails and can see a number of holes where the trails aren't a problem just a few where the basket would come close to the path.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
is it possible to put netting up where the possibility of a disc going towards the trail is high?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrevo View Post
The park I am looking at is Bass River Recreation Area. near allendale Michigan. The eastern portion of the property is not available. we are trying to fit the holes in the 6 miles of bike trails there. I have walked the trails and can see a number of holes where the trails aren't a problem just a few where the basket would come close to the path.
I still worry about Renny #15. The mountain bike trail is about 45' behind the pin, mayabe a bit less. As the woods thin out more I worry more. I wish that I had at least 100' of buffer. Some drives do the crazy get through all the trees and hit nothing trick. Then disc golf wear and tear thins out the woods a bit and a potential conflict exists that didn't originally. It is important to try to take into account what 5-10 years of people breaking small trees and some dying off will do to your buffer. I didn't do a good job of that on Renny 15 which may necessitate a change at some point.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 108
I recall being at the Tarheel Trailblazers meeting back in the day when we discussed changes to the trail system to accommodate the disc golf course at Rennaisance Park. If I remember correctly, the trails had been in existence seven or eight years at that point. The trails were much improved with the changes, and you barely notice the disc golf course from the seat of a bike, so I'd say a masterful job was done by all. You may be met with a lot of cooperation if you seek it from the mountain bike community. It can and has happened.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 38
I don't think so. since the property is on state owned land i believe that they would keep everything as natural as possible without any additions like netting. due to the local birds possibly getting caught in the netting.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
I recall being at the Tarheel Trailblazers meeting back in the day when we discussed changes to the trail system to accommodate the disc golf course at Rennaisance Park. If I remember correctly, the trails had been in existence seven or eight years at that point. The trails were much improved with the changes, and you barely notice the disc golf course from the seat of a bike, so I'd say a masterful job was done by all. You may be met with a lot of cooperation if you seek it from the mountain bike community. It can and has happened.
Ya, Sam and I rerouted about 100' of trail for hole #15. So far no problems, but safety is always an issue and I would hate for a biker to get hit.