Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 199
Well, you did a good job Sadjo. That's a cool little course.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
This is really the way to go with a heavily wooded course. We did this at Shaver Rec in Seneca SC. We bought additional sleevs and o ver time added 2nd pin placements on 7 holes. One of those required a bridge...and that was a big project.

Doing it this way allowed the course to be played sooner and allowed to see what was working and what wasn't.
I love that idea when it's well planned and executed. I've seen some situations where a long position was added later and made the hole more interesting and challenging but I've also seen later changes that simply added a pinball finish or something like that to make it tougher without being a good overall hole design.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 199
^^^All to often it is done poorly.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
OK, now that the proprietary cat is out of the bag, "Yes-No-Yes" is basically right.

Now, let me see if I can think of an appropriate secret of Chuck's to spill. Hmm. Can't really think of any. Help me out here, Chuck.
I can help you with that question. Eenie meenie mynee moe.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Hey John,

I posted this in a different thread and wonder if you, or anyone else listening, had ever had anything lke this happen to you. It will require a good deal of redesign.

(after my team had built 8 holes that were either totally in the woods or that required some measure of cutting) My park department contact notified me that they were going to build 2 playgrounds, one restroom with bays large enough for 10 picnic tables, one 6000 sq ft barn for party rental, expand two parking lots and build a double decker tree house in the woods that would be ADA compliant to use for weddings and stuff !!!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan McDaniel View Post
Hey John,

I posted this in a different thread and wonder if you, or anyone else listening, had ever had anything lke this happen to you. It will require a good deal of redesign.

(after my team had built 8 holes that were either totally in the woods or that required some measure of cutting) My park department contact notified me that they were going to build 2 playgrounds, one restroom with bays large enough for 10 picnic tables, one 6000 sq ft barn for party rental, expand two parking lots and build a double decker tree house in the woods that would be ADA compliant to use for weddings and stuff !!!!!!
Holy cow -- that exact thing happened to me. We used the roof of the tree house as a tee that threw over the barn, through the window of the restroom, and around the parking lots, where every light post was a mando (safety first!). The playground was OB (obviously), but the basket was at the bottom of the slide and blocked on three sides by those horsey things on a spring -- you had to lay up the playground, and putt up to the top of the slide, so your disc would slide down into the basket...

Seriously, I've been thrown some curveballs in mid-project, but nothing like this. Possibly worse, I've had a couple courses cancelled after I did the design. I think Chuck addressed this type of thing in his interview on DG Talk Radio recently, where he said that you just never know until the last tees are poured. We used to have a t-shirt that covered it, too: "It Ain't Over Until the Fat Lady Putts."

So sorry to hear that you have to deal with all that -- I know you'll make lemonade out of the situation. Good luck with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 143
I have an idea for a green /design that I'd like to bounce off some other people. Imagine this...

You have a nice 300 ft par 3 with three distinct lanes to the basket.

Lane #1. 300 ft dead straight low ceiling tunnel shot. OB lake threatens on the left side and skinny OB creek threatens along the right side of the fairway. Trees outline the narrow fairway threatening to kick errant shots toward OB. This is the shortest, but most technical route to the basket.

Lane #2. There is a gap 100 ft down the fairway on the right side, about 30 ft wide. It is possible to throw out this gap, over the OB creek and then hyzer your shot back (once again over the creek) onto the green. This adds roughly 30-50 ft of distance to the hole but is much less guarded by trees, provided that you actually hit the initial 30 ft gap. The ceiling is also higher, allowing you to air the disc out a bit more.

Lane #3. "Out and around" huge anhyzer/forhand/lefty route that goes out over the OB lake. This route significantly lengthens the hole, playing about 360-400 ft. There is no longer any threat of trees to deal with, but you are obviously flirting with the OB lake.

The green. The green is basically a U with an up-side-down V ("U" with "^" on top) shape. The basket rests in the center of the V with thick bunker trees surrounding the V part of the green as well as a slight drop off/pitch to the ground rolling toward the OB creek and lake on either side.

The thought process behind the hole.

The hole offers options to various players.

The dead straight tunnel shot is the hardest/tightest line to hit, but also has the most forgiveness on the green because of the ^ at the back of the green.

The hyzer shot, while still requiring some accuracy is a notably easier line to hit, but requires more power and risks the OB creek coming into play. Sticking the shot on the green is also more difficult because the shot is more likely to skip off the back of the "^" unless intentionally laid short to the "U" where a better putt is required.

Finally the anhyzer/lefty/forhand shot is by far the most open, but also requires the most power and involves the largest risk of OB. Like the Hyzer shot, it is also prone to skip or cut-roll of the green into a difficult position unless, once again, purposely played short and requiring a longer putt.

Ok. That was a lot. I got the inspiration for this hole earlier today while I was out hiking and came across a unique piece of land. This "U" with a "^" on top green could work in several other instances as well. Let me know what you think.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 31
tee design

I'm curios about trends in current tee design.

I know the PDGA says "Cement or Asphalt tees are preferred" but lately it seems the trend in new course development is to use stay mat on tee pads, sometime placed on top of cement, pavers, or right on top of the ground. One course in our area, recently redesigned, used a combo of Stay Mat placed upon leveled out crushed stone that was bordered using 4x4's or larger stones.

What have you seen as the desire of disc golfers, course owners, and is stay mat where it's at?

Thanks!

forgive me if this was answered, it's a long thread and read most of it...
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 143
Hi again. This is another design idea I've been working on. I have a great course I've been working on for the last year in Saipan, a small island in the Pacific Ocean near Guam. Unfortunately, it's in a National Park, so I doubt they'd ever let me permanently install the course. As of now, I've been playing with a few friends weekly carrying my portable basket as we go.

I was very inspired by your article on designing Par 5's and have been trying out different ideas. This is my current design on hole 18 at the park. It is meant to be a gold level hole.

Sorry for the poor quality picture, I just drew it up in Microsoft Paint.

Feedback and critiques are what I'm looking for the most. I don't have many fellow Disc Golfers out here on the islands. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hole 18 AMP.jpg (75.8 KB, 43 views)

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
It looks to me like the player with an "eagle" arm might just as well lay up short of the OB hex and try to reach the pin from there rather than try and hit the 430 area. But I might be off based on the scale of your drawing. Even then, it looks like there's enough landing room on the approach that it still might be a safer combination of throw for everyone. My point is I'm not sure anyone would find it worthwhile to use the eagle landing area even though it's a cool concept.