#551  
Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 AM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 38.5
Posts: 428
By the way, wind should be a factor in hole direction, dogleg angles, distance to OB and pretty much every other aspect of hole design.
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM
texhop58 texhop58 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: dfw, texas
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
By the way, wind should be a factor in hole direction, dogleg angles, distance to OB and pretty much every other aspect of hole design.
Thank you. I did try to take wind in consideration on front holes, but the wind comes in from 3 different directions. So what is easy one day becomes a hard shot 2 days later. I appreciate the input and hopefully can convince my partner that we should shrink a hole or two.
Reply With Quote
  #553  
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
cgprush cgprush is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 12
John, having worked with you in preparing the available redesigned holes at Live Oak City Park for the Live Oak Summer Open, and reading this thread regularly, I have questions.
1. Were/are there any special or unusual conditions you had to consider when redesigning the LO courses?
2. What level (white, blue, red, gold) are the 2 sets of tees?
3. Do you try to keep a balance of holes on a course (lefty, righty, neutral)?
3. Have you had prior examples of a tournament played at a course you were redesigning and are you interested in hearing feedback from the tournament players?
4. Finally, what cool acronym will you come up with for a design element at LO to go with PITTSBORO and FROST?

Btw, walking a course in the middle of your redesign and hearing and seeing some of your design methods was a very interesting experience.

Corey
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 38.5
Posts: 428
Hey, Corey. Give me a minute here.
Reply With Quote
  #555  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 38.5
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgprush View Post
John, having worked with you in preparing the available redesigned holes at Live Oak City Park for the Live Oak Summer Open, and reading this thread regularly, I have questions.
OK, Corey, good to hear from you, and thanks for the questions.

Quote:
1. Were/are there any special or unusual conditions you had to consider when redesigning the LO courses?
I guess the most unusual part of this process is getting permission from four sets of landowners. But it's all been pretty smooth. What's most special to me about Live Oak is the opportunity to do new things, like building a rock-lined, elevated landing area. That's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Quote:
2. What level (white, blue, red, gold) are the 2 sets of tees?
Pretty much blue and red, so we can accommodate experienced and new players. Many holes will also have a longer pin option, so that the course can have a Gold setup, too.

Quote:
3. Do you try to keep a balance of holes on a course (lefty, righty, neutral)?
Absolutely. Not just L/R/S, but long/short, open/tight, OB right/OB left. etc. etc. Real balance can be pretty complicated.

Quote:
3. Have you had prior examples of a tournament played at a course you were redesigning and are you interested in hearing feedback from the tournament players?
Not really on prior experience, but always interested in constructive feedback. And absolutely interested in scoring data, so if you guys still have the scorecards, I'd love to review them. I did see a few comments on Facebook, which I appreciated. At this point, comments on holes that aren't finished don't necessarily do a lot of good, but I'm always willing to listen, especially when someone has suggestions on how we can make it better. Please let players know they can write to me directly: jrhouck@houckdesign.com. I will listen intently, virtually eternally -- opinions advance knowledge.

Quote:
4. Finally, what cool acronym will you come up with for a design element at LO to go with PITTSBORO and FROST?
Please see the previous answer.

Quote:
Btw, walking a course in the middle of your redesign and hearing and seeing some of your design methods was a very interesting experience.

Corey
That's good to hear. And thanks for your help and input. We still have a way to go, but my goals haven't changed: to make these the best municipal courses in Texas. Dee and I love Live Oak. Talk to you soon.
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM
cgprush cgprush is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 12
Listen Intently, Virtually Eternally -- Opinions Advance Knowledge - awesome!
Thanks, John!
I'll pass along your interest in "knowledge advancing opinions".
As always, any time you need asistance with any of the work at Live Oak, I'm happy to pitch in.
Reply With Quote
  #557  
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 PM
cgprush cgprush is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 12
Realized I didn't answer all of your questions. There were complaints about a couple of things: long walks between holes (expected, especially some of the temp holes) and Hole 8 (400' over the water and bailout areas).
But, overall, it seemed players were happy with the new holes. I was happy with how everything went especially considering the complications we had to work around.
Reply With Quote
  #558  
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Peterb Peterb is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 69
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Not really on prior experience, but always interested in constructive feedback.
LLLOOOLLL John. This is pure gold right here.
Reply With Quote
  #559  
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
whosnext whosnext is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgprush View Post
Realized I didn't answer all of your questions. There were complaints about a couple of things: long walks between holes (expected, especially some of the temp holes) and Hole 8 (400' over the water and bailout areas).
But, overall, it seemed players were happy with the new holes. I was happy with how everything went especially considering the complications we had to work around.
Yeah hole 8 has no good bail out area at all. Needs a little wider gap to get to the original tee box.
Reply With Quote
 

  #560  
Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM
whosnext whosnext is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 2
Is there supposed to be a drop box on Hole #18 of the Creekside Course at Selah? If you cant reach 318 feet or its just real windy are we supposed to just play to the left and try and drive to the short tee box??? What if there is no spotter and you cant tell from the long box if you crossed land or not on your 1st shot. Great hole but with a strong wind it is almost impossible.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.