Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 AM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.5
By the way, wind should be a factor in hole direction, dogleg angles, distance to OB and pretty much every other aspect of hole design.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
By the way, wind should be a factor in hole direction, dogleg angles, distance to OB and pretty much every other aspect of hole design.
Thank you. I did try to take wind in consideration on front holes, but the wind comes in from 3 different directions. So what is easy one day becomes a hard shot 2 days later. I appreciate the input and hopefully can convince my partner that we should shrink a hole or two.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Courses Played: 1
John, having worked with you in preparing the available redesigned holes at Live Oak City Park for the Live Oak Summer Open, and reading this thread regularly, I have questions.
1. Were/are there any special or unusual conditions you had to consider when redesigning the LO courses?
2. What level (white, blue, red, gold) are the 2 sets of tees?
3. Do you try to keep a balance of holes on a course (lefty, righty, neutral)?
3. Have you had prior examples of a tournament played at a course you were redesigning and are you interested in hearing feedback from the tournament players?
4. Finally, what cool acronym will you come up with for a design element at LO to go with PITTSBORO and FROST?

Btw, walking a course in the middle of your redesign and hearing and seeing some of your design methods was a very interesting experience.

Corey
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Hey, Corey. Give me a minute here.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgprush View Post
John, having worked with you in preparing the available redesigned holes at Live Oak City Park for the Live Oak Summer Open, and reading this thread regularly, I have questions.
OK, Corey, good to hear from you, and thanks for the questions.

Quote:
1. Were/are there any special or unusual conditions you had to consider when redesigning the LO courses?
I guess the most unusual part of this process is getting permission from four sets of landowners. But it's all been pretty smooth. What's most special to me about Live Oak is the opportunity to do new things, like building a rock-lined, elevated landing area. That's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Quote:
2. What level (white, blue, red, gold) are the 2 sets of tees?
Pretty much blue and red, so we can accommodate experienced and new players. Many holes will also have a longer pin option, so that the course can have a Gold setup, too.

Quote:
3. Do you try to keep a balance of holes on a course (lefty, righty, neutral)?
Absolutely. Not just L/R/S, but long/short, open/tight, OB right/OB left. etc. etc. Real balance can be pretty complicated.

Quote:
3. Have you had prior examples of a tournament played at a course you were redesigning and are you interested in hearing feedback from the tournament players?
Not really on prior experience, but always interested in constructive feedback. And absolutely interested in scoring data, so if you guys still have the scorecards, I'd love to review them. I did see a few comments on Facebook, which I appreciated. At this point, comments on holes that aren't finished don't necessarily do a lot of good, but I'm always willing to listen, especially when someone has suggestions on how we can make it better. Please let players know they can write to me directly: jrhouck@houckdesign.com. I will listen intently, virtually eternally -- opinions advance knowledge.

Quote:
4. Finally, what cool acronym will you come up with for a design element at LO to go with PITTSBORO and FROST?
Please see the previous answer.

Quote:
Btw, walking a course in the middle of your redesign and hearing and seeing some of your design methods was a very interesting experience.

Corey
That's good to hear. And thanks for your help and input. We still have a way to go, but my goals haven't changed: to make these the best municipal courses in Texas. Dee and I love Live Oak. Talk to you soon.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Listen Intently, Virtually Eternally -- Opinions Advance Knowledge - awesome!
Thanks, John!
I'll pass along your interest in "knowledge advancing opinions".
As always, any time you need asistance with any of the work at Live Oak, I'm happy to pitch in.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Realized I didn't answer all of your questions. There were complaints about a couple of things: long walks between holes (expected, especially some of the temp holes) and Hole 8 (400' over the water and bailout areas).
But, overall, it seemed players were happy with the new holes. I was happy with how everything went especially considering the complications we had to work around.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Not really on prior experience, but always interested in constructive feedback.
LLLOOOLLL John. This is pure gold right here.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM

Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgprush View Post
Realized I didn't answer all of your questions. There were complaints about a couple of things: long walks between holes (expected, especially some of the temp holes) and Hole 8 (400' over the water and bailout areas).
But, overall, it seemed players were happy with the new holes. I was happy with how everything went especially considering the complications we had to work around.
Yeah hole 8 has no good bail out area at all. Needs a little wider gap to get to the original tee box.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Courses Played: 5
Is there supposed to be a drop box on Hole #18 of the Creekside Course at Selah? If you cant reach 318 feet or its just real windy are we supposed to just play to the left and try and drive to the short tee box??? What if there is no spotter and you cant tell from the long box if you crossed land or not on your 1st shot. Great hole but with a strong wind it is almost impossible.