Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Bogey Member

Review Your Gateway Discs

I'm looking to get some publishable reviews regarding your favorite Gateway discs. I'd like to know the situations that make you reach for one particular disc over another, but specifically Gateway plastic. This is your chance to brag about your faves so let's have all of the details; weight, model and plastic type. Anything at least one sentence will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
S Demon, 168g-

This is my go-to wind mid and where I want some glide with my fade. A comfortable disc in hand and has a wing more like a small driver than a midrange. I use this when my Sinus AP won't reach or the gator would have me in the brush on the side of the fairway. I highly recommend this disc as an overstable short fairway or long midrange in your bag.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 18
175g Demon Sure-Grip (Red) - Overstable Pig. A little bit faster than a Pro/R-Pro Pig, and a whole lot more overstable. The tacky grip is great and feels somewhat like a SS Chalky Wizard. Not very durable though; I nailed a brand new Demon on a tree which completely warped the wing of the disc, and I couldn't mold it back.

175g Demon Sure-Grip (Black) - Much slicker plastic than the above disc, but still enough grip that I can get a great hold.

Numerous Wizards -
1. SSSS (really floppy SSS) is good for putting, but if you hit a tree or two on drives, you'll completely warp the flight plate.
2. SSS is my tied for my favorite version; it's great for driving, putting, upshots, etc. And they are very durable.
3. Chalky SSS is pretty much the same as above but with an even better grip, and has a firmness somewhere in between the SSSS and SSS.
4. SS is good, but a little too firm for me as far as putting is concerned, but is a great driving putter.
5. Organic SS/SSS is the other half of my tie for favorite putter. I personally like the SS version a little more as mine is a little softer than the SS, and a little firmer than my SSS's. And the grip is the bomb; the best description I can provide is that it feels similar to an eraser, and still works phenomenally when wet.

Warlock
1. SSS is good, but I like the Wiz better.
2. SSS, but is firmer and should be a SS. Great chalky grip, flies nicely. Will be trying it again today.

Magic
1. SSSS that I have is the "Flesh" color and insanely floppy, and my friends and I have nicknamed it "The Fleshlight". Straight flying putter, but due to it being soooooo soft, it can be difficult to drive straight with it. It always hangs to the right.....
2. SSS Magic is my third favorite putter. Absolutely amazing. Same firmness as my SSS Wiz, but GREAT for straight drives where I don't want any fade, or anny drives. Also is a stellar backup putter.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
I redid a couple as I reread that you wanted publishable reviews....sorry.

1. My 175g black Organic SS is my favorite all-purpose putter. I personally like the Organic SS version as it is the perfect firmness for my style of putting and driving. And the grip is the bomb; the best description I can provide is that it feels similar to an eraser, and still works phenomenally when wet. It's my Go-To putter for any putt, straight drives into the wind, upshots, or drives out to 300' where I have a little height that I can work with.

Magic
1. My 175g SSSS Magic is the "Flesh" color and insanely floppy, and my friends and I have nicknamed it "The Fleshlight". Straight flying putter, and due to it being soooooo soft, it will hit a tree and literally taco and drop straight down. This disc doesn't know the meaning of tree hate....
2. My 175g SSS Magic is my third favorite putter behind the Organic Wizard and SSS Wizard Absolutely amazing. Same firmness as my SSS Wiz, but GREAT for straight drives where I don't want any fade, or anny drives. Also is a stellar backup putter that produces a great amount of glide.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
176 E Element, white: This is a dependable long midrange driver that starts at a perfectly workable stability and beats into a perfect S line and eventually beats into a wonderful understable disc. This disc can be used for many short drives, middling shots and long approaches. The Element will fade back predictably throughout its lifespan and will slowly become a very dependable anny disc. If you'd like the disc to remain more stable, simply add a touch of hyzer angle and watch as your element flips flat and comes down right where you wanted it to!

177 Clear Gummy E Warrior: Have you found yourself needing and overstable midrange disc that is still controllable and without too much high speed stability? Do you want a midrange disc that you can really put your weight into without turning it over, but can still hold a straight line until it slows down? If so, you need a Gateway Warrior. This disc works perfect for shots between 140' and 320' in my experience and can be used to fight slight winds. I use this disc for powering down open fairways and for hooking around obstacles on hyzer lines. The warrior is insanely predictable!

\/\/
Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 31
178 Evolution HPP Element-

A predictable understable midrange. When thrown flat with enought height, it will turn right and always fade back for a nice S curve. Thrown low, it will hold an anny line and won't roll when it hits the ground. I love it for a straight and incredibly accurate hyzer-flip that a distance driver would be too much disc for. Great all-around disc. My favorite disc in the bag.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 10
Send a message via MSN to valkyrie
I think ths would be the perfrct place to post a 10 page review on the Gummy Voodoo
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Gateway S Series SS Voodoo - 173g Blue, Ice Bowl 2009 Stamp - Very pretty!
Gateway S Series M Voodoo - 174g Bright Red, Dinner plate, - Pretty shade of red!
Gateway S Series M Wizard - 174g White, dinner plate, small stamp. Does not look bad, white is plain.
Gateway S Series S Warlock - 174g Dark Red, Not that pretty, stamp is creepy - dude needs to trim his nails

I rated mine based on how aesthetically pleasing they are.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
SSS 175 Black Magic, my finesse putter for approaches and putts where I need to go anny around obstacles and floppy enough to sit on the ground on fast greens where roll-aways could be a killer. Also floppy enough to tag my buddy with when he won't shut up during my throw.

S 175 Orange Magic, my go-to putter, stiff enough to give me consistent releases, tacky enough to be grippy in all conditions. Also a solid upshot disc, especially if I'm lobbing it at the basket.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
Thumbs up Keep rawk'n that website, Junior!

Gateway Apache:
The Apache is my go-to long range driver for 300+ feet fairways. Starts out mildly overstable and works in straight after some use. Thrown low and flat, the disc cruises with mild low speed fade, lots of glide, and an added skip. I prefer this disc in HPP plastic between 167 and 172 grams. For more stability, try 175g.

Gateway Sabre:
The Sabre is quickly becoming my choice fairway driver for 225-275 feet shots. This disc is easily controllable for both hyzers and anhyzers, holding the line of release with impressive speed for the amount of glide accompanying it. I prefer this disc in Evolution Pro-Line plastic at 172 grams or heavier. For less stability, try 170g or below.

Gateway Demon:
The Demon is my go-to hyzer meat-hook mid-range and is great for sweeping flex shots around trees. This disc has secured a permanent place in my bag. I prefer this disc in Sure Grip plastic at 175g or heavier.

Gateway Element:
The Element is my go-to anyhyzer mid-range and is also great for low, flat, straight tunnel shots. When thrown with slight hyzer release, the Element will snap flat and finish straight. This disc has secured a permanent place in my bag. I prefer this disc in HPP plastic at 175g or heavier. For more stability, try 180g.