Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Eagle Member

Default Post "growing the sport" disc golf

So let's say that we all "grow the sport" (whatever that really means) to the fullest extent. Disc golf is now a major pastime played by millions of Americans and millions more worldwide. There is a legitimate pro tour where our best players don't have construction jobs. Are all of us playing right now happy with that world?

With growth comes challenges. I live in MN where there is a healthy supply of disc golf courses. Already it is challenging to fit in a round during peak hours. With more players comes more pressure on courses, and there will come a point where we will need to charge players and set tee times just like ball golf.

Do I really want to pay $30 for a tediously paced 3 hour round of disc golf? Do you? Is there an alternative that avoids this problem?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Bogey Member

If there becomes more interest, then I would assume that means more courses/more holes per course. While I wouldn't see the number of courses increase evenly with the number of holes, I think it should increase enough where I wouldn't see it becoming as big of a problem as with ball golf. Mainly because ball golf courses take up HUGE amounts of space and require a fairly flat terrain and constant maintenance, disc golf only requires a handful of acres that can be around the edge of a park or in heavy wooded areas. And I think we're a decent way away from disc golf becoming really popular. In my opinion, we need to start young and put small courses at schools and get DG into PE classes. Once the kids get interested in something, so will the parents. I would love to see the sport grow a ton, but it shouldn't come with the problems of ball golf
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

There was a local news story here that talked about a big upgrade to a local park. A new disc golf course was a part of that "top priority" upgrade.

That will be course #36(maybe 40th?) in this area. (I keep losing count)

We be fine.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Bogey Member

Where do you live!?!? I'm in NY and we have a few nice local courses, but nothing like that!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
There was a local news story here that talked about a big upgrade to a local park. A new disc golf course was a part of that "top priority" upgrade.

We be fine.
Define "area" please.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 15

Bleh, so much to say about this, but for now I'll just subscribe and see what others have to say...

(FWIW, I'm in the camp of keeping disc golf a funky, niche thing to do, with the hope to keep the inevitable snobbery and entitlement that comes with growth to a minimum.)
Old 06-15-2016, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Define "area" please.
The Greater Cincinnati/Northern Ky area. All under the same disc golf club and has been for over 30 years.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post

We be fine.
So will you be fine in 20 years if playership grows by 20x? There would be a point where cramming in more disc golf courses will not be a sustainable model, and tee times will need to be implemented.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Eagle Member

For reference MSP has just under 3x more ball golf holes than disc golf (about 1200 disc golf holes). I am willing to bet that ball golf is many factors more than 3x more popular than disc golf. So currently we have less players per hole than ball golf and we have high wait times and overcrowding during peak hours. I cannot see new course construction keeping up with the new players.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
So will you be fine in 20 years if playership grows by 20x? There would be a point where cramming in more disc golf courses will not be a sustainable model, and tee times will need to be implemented.
What makes you think that?