Old 08-09-2016, 05:59 PM

Default Harder Courses for worlds?

Ok, is it just me or are the courses they pick for worlds not hard enough for the top pros? McBeth finished -15 after one round and is probably on his way to another -90(small exaggeration) worlds. I don't know if the remaining courses are as easy as Jones East but if so whats the challenge? At this point they are just playing each other and not the course. Just my thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8

I think a wise person once said if the baskets were smaller (comparable to how hard putting is in golf) you would have a lot less people shooting shooting 10-15 down all the time and there would be less scoring separation.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 115
Throwing Style: RHBH

Or they're just that fu˘king good.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpmnz View Post
Ok, is it just me or are the courses they pick for worlds not hard enough for the top pros? McBeth finished -15 after one round and is probably on his way to another -90(small exaggeration) worlds. I don't know if the remaining courses are as easy as Jones East but if so whats the challenge? At this point they are just playing each other and not the course. Just my thoughts.
Agreed. I know there is a desire to show off the distance drives, but a lot of courses are too easy for the top MPO pros. Smaller baskets would have to be imported; I'm not sure we want permanent smaller baskets for casual players and beginners, etc. The great equalizer is the wooded courses. Pros would still dominate, but their skills would be challenged more. Having said that... It is the point to play each other and not just the course. Who cares what McBeth shoots?... except relative to Wysocki, etc...
Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpmnz View Post
For the most part I agree. The problem is that you need people with harder courses to be putting bids in. When DD wants to host a worlds on less then great courses, you pretty much have to give it to DD because they know what they're doing.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39

Jones East is plenty hard. Those guys are just crazy good.

Not every course is Iron Hill.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH

Mechanically, score relative to (posted) par is much less important than actual scoring spread. Basically, the function of a hole in tournament play is to (fairly) spread out the scores of the competitors. A 'good' hole, then, is one that is effective at producing a variety of scores among the competitors.

Looking at the MPO leaderboard (with 55 players on it), for example, I noticed the following:

Hole 2: 74.5% of players took 2's. That's way too high.
Hole 3: 72.7% of players took 3's. Again, slightly too high.
Hole 14: 74.5% of players took 3's. A little high.

There are other metrics to look at too (and you'd really want to look at the full field). Here are simple descriptives, for example:

Descriptives.png
Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 129

I am against the idea in general, but for top world's competitions you may have to change the pars to reflect actual difficulty in relation to pros' abilities. You may have to use Par 2s. In the end, total scores will remain the same, as will scoring separation, but you will see less -45s.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
I am against the idea in general, but for top world's competitions you may have to change the pars to reflect actual difficulty in relation to pros' abilities. You may have to use Par 2s. In the end, total scores will remain the same, as will scoring separation, but you will see less -45s.
I don't really understand the obsession with trying to make the scores higher relative to par. Just because stick golfers don't shoot -15 in tournaments doesn't mean disc golfers shouldn't.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Par Member

^^^what would that really accomplish tho? Even if you make a birdie a par, a 2 is still a 2. Changing the par wouldn't do anything except make the number smaller