Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
While building Nevin, I'd be out at 7am as the sun rose. I saw a fox or number of fox come trotting down the new path. They seemed to appreciate the ability to move more freely in the woods. I only have one problem with the fox, one unanswered question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

Hopefully this video explains it better for everyone with the same question.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
baby squirrel at lakewood hills in MN clambered up onto my shoe while i was on the teepad. one of our cardmates took a DNF so he could take it home. obviously abandoned by the mother.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 45
A herd of armadillos. Lightly skipped a disc under one and it jumped about 3 feet off the ground lol. Also on hole 1 today I was putting about 50 ft away from 3 deer. They just stood there and watched for about ten minutes.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 16
Saw a fledgling Meadowlark at Eagle Ridge in Oswego, IL on Saturday. Really pretty bird.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 44
Played Stafford Lake County Park DGC yesterday for the first time. After 6 holes of getting rained on, the sun peaked out and we 12 holes of beautiful Northern CA weather.

Saw two of these guys on hole 14 or 15:

Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 55
Always steer well clear of these guys when I see them out on the course (or on my lawn)

We call them cow killer ants here in Georgia but they are really a form of wasp.

You can step on one of these things (with shoes on of course) and as long as the ground is not pavement or solid like a rock they are very tough and will spring back almost instantly. I've heard that they are really painful if they sting you.

Always solitary insects, be mindful when picking up your tee shots in the south.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman View Post
Always steer well clear of these guys when I see them out on the course (or on my lawn)

We call them cow killer ants here in Georgia but they are really a form of wasp.

You can step on one of these things (with shoes on of course) and as long as the ground is not pavement or solid like a rock they are very tough and will spring back almost instantly. I've heard that they are really painful if they sting you.

Always solitary insects, be mindful when picking up your tee shots in the south.
Indeed. You can take a stick, hold them down and they will squeak/hiss. I've never been stung by one, but know someone who has. That person said it was like getting poked w/ a red hot needle.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
I was watching a cow killer ant crossing a fairway at Stoney Hill when, as it passed a broadleaf weed, a black widow pounced from underneath and ambushed it. Monster wars, on a very small scale.

Allegedly, the reason they're called "cow killer ants" is not that they kill cows, but that the pain is so bad that it "hurts enough to kill a cow".
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 54
Had a red corn snake shake its tail at me yesterday to imitate a rattler. Never saw a red snake before.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 97
Had a small snake nearly slither into me it realized it then slithered and nearly ran into my friend before going away. Almost stepped on another black snake right after leaving a tee pad. Seen several deer on a college campus course just yesterday and lots of squirrels and bunnies and stuff.