Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Found my son's lie and this little guy was crawling along it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Those big furry caterpillars like that were everywhere on the courses down in Houston at Texas Women's last spring. People told me they are called "asps" and that they have a very painful sting.

Most memorable encounter I had was at US Womens this year, wading up a stream to retrieve a disc and seeing a copperhead floating and wiggling through the water towards me about 4 feet away. I didn't stop to take a picture.

Other snake encounters have included seeing a coral snake someone found at Am World Doubles last year in Wimberly. It was in a bucket when I saw it. I also encountered a rattler at Cedar Hill-Beaver on hole 3, down in the woods to the left. That course is on a poisonous snake preserve.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
Played night disc golf for the first time last week. On hole 20 (final hole) in crowley texas, I land in ankle high water. I walk down and see some reflective eyes with my flashlight. There is some sort of snake 5 foot from my disc. Just staring at me. Kind of ironic as I had hust threw my glow sidewinder. I have played this course for 6 years and its the first time I have ever seen a snake on the course.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
That course is on a poisonous snake preserve.
I ain't going anywhere near a poisonous snake preserve!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.6
Courses Played: 77
Saw the biggest woodpecker ever a few weeks ago at a new course in town. The bird must have been over 2 ft long from head to tail. Huge.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster View Post
Saw the biggest woodpecker ever a few weeks ago at a new course in town. The bird must have been over 2 ft long from head to tail. Huge.
Very cool! Probably was a Pileated Woodpecker as they are 16-20". They have a very loud and distinct call as well. They aren't super rare but I've only seen a handful of them.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 36

This sign is at the front of the park in Cedar Hill. Luckily, I've never seen a snake there...
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonT4 View Post
Yesterday, my brother in law, my buddy from work and I were playing a round at East Metro in Manor, TX. having a decent round when we got to hole 17, up near the basket looking for my disc that came up a tad short and faded over into the brush area my buddy walked up on a Rattlesnake, now this isn't the first time we have seen one of these out here, nor was it the largest one we have seen, but the snake was minding his own business and was startled by my buddy and coiled up and started the rattles going. I was about 15 ft away, and the sound of those rattles was extremely loud. My buddy backed away and myself and brother inlaw walked over and we watched as this snake sat coiled ready to strike for a good 10 minutes or so. A park ranger happened to walk up about that time and we watched as this snake calmed down and uncoiled then slithered away. Needless to say it really messed with my head the rest of the day. The area that the snake was in, I was freely roaming just a week earlier looking for an errant shot. This makes me want to rethink my shots for the future, as anyone that has played that course can contest, hole 17 is surrounded by cactus and a rattlers paradise.

Has this or similar happened to anyone else?
Not on the course. But believe it or not, the same thing happened to me in SE Michigan. At a park down the street theres rattlesnake signs that me and friends always thought were a joke. One day I saw a snake slithering sideways so I ran up to it. It went into the coil position, rattled its tail and hissed. Needless to say I jump a mile backwards. Couldn't believe what I just saw down the street from my house this far north.

Also at a local course I saw a family of raccoons walking STRAIGHT up a tree in the middle of the day.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 108
On the course: Also, woodpeckers, hawks, herons, turkey, possum, chicken, a stray kitten, slugs on my disc, and a skunk. Probably plenty more i forgot.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMittenDG View Post
Not on the course. But believe it or not, the same thing happened to me in SE Michigan. At a park down the street theres rattlesnake signs that me and friends always thought were a joke. One day I saw a snake slithering sideways so I ran up to it. It went into the coil position, rattled its tail and hissed. Needless to say I jump a mile backwards. Couldn't believe what I just saw down the street from my house this far north.

Also at a local course I saw a family of raccoons walking STRAIGHT up a tree in the middle of the day.
I've seen a few of the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnakes when I lived in the Detroit (used to hike out by Kensington and the Proud Lake area) area a couple of years back. From what I gathered, talking with the DNR out there, they really aren't super poisonous. They are also really small comparatively to the ones out West. I know the one I ran into at the HP course was a good 5' and 3" thick. Cute little rattlesnakes that live in Michigan. Also pretty rare. Very cool to have seen one.