Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Nathaniel's bag... because, why not?

Salutations, disc golf enthusiasts. I've decided to do a bag thread since I've been stuck indoors and need something to occupy myself. So let's get started...

Years playing/experience: About 10 years of disc golf
Throwing Style: Mainly RHBH, some sidearm.
Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Challenger: 170/220'; Buzzz: 230/260'; Teebird: 260/330'

Additional Information
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
I love my setup. I don't care to cycle discs and I have all my stabilities covered. Only real complaint right now is that my Champ Firebird is not so much a driver as it is a circular brick. I feel like it's too overstable for its own good (or my good).
Specific areas of desired feedback: I'm not really expecting much here, I just wanted to talk about my bag and maybe you guys could entertain me while I look out the window and long for nice weather. Perhaps some feedback on a few discs would help as I am on the fence about a couple molds.
Immediate and long-term goals: Right now I've got distance on my mind. I have never thrown incredibly far and I wish to hit 350' and beyond this year. I feel pretty good otherwise but I want to truly have some distance!

Discos:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
170 Star Teebird, (fairly beat) - Main driver. I love this disc. Mostly used for straight shots/slight fade.
172 Champ 12x Firebird, (like new) - OS driver. Not sure about this one because it's so incredibly overstable I can barely get any distance out of it. Maybe I'll find a use for its beefiness but so far I'm undecided on this disc.
170 Z Xpress, (fairly beat) - Understable driver. Decided to put this back in the bag and I actually really like this disc.
170 Champ Wraith, (new) - Distance driver. I know it may be too much for me as I don't throw 350'+ but I wanted a real distance driver. Initially wanted it under 170g but couldn't find what I wanted. I'm hoping to put this guy to use this year!

Mids:
176 Z Buzzz, (fairly beat) - Main mid. I love this disc and use it for most straight shots/slight fade just like my Teebird. I have my only ace with this disc and also a couple fairway aces.
177+ ESP FLX Drone, (lightly used) - OS beefy mid. Starting to love this disc more and get more use out of it. Still goes about as far as my FB
172 Proton Tangent, (fairly beat) - My other main mid. Have fallen in love with this disc and I reach for Tangie all the time. For straight shots and slight turns.
169 TP Tursas, (new) - Had another brand new Tursas that I lost and then replaced with my Tangent but still wanted a really understable disc. Got this new Tursas but haven't learned it yet. For those turns that absolutely need to go right.
173 Star San Marino Roc, (fairly beat) - Slightly OS mid. I haven't really given this disc a good trial so I figured I'd switch things up a bit this year. Not sure if I'll need it but I wanted to do the Pepsi challenge with Buzzz vs. Roc.

Putters:
175 ESP FLX Challenger, (beat) - My favorite disc. However, I have decided to relegate my Challenger to straight upshots in order to give my Ion a proper putting trial.
177 Neutron Ion, (fairly beat) - My new(ish) putter. I only had my Challenger for several years and decided to get another putter. Seems to be working fine so far.
172 ESP Zone,, (new) - Figured I'd get a Zone after all the Zone love here. Things sometimes get windy around here so I thought an OS putter would be helpful. Haven't thrown this much yet.

Honorable mentions:
155 Ti Ace Race Mantis, (like new) - I have been wanting to throw this thing around as a light bomber. It flies nicely and I would love to use it more but at the same time don't want to lose it and I don't really need it in the bag.

180 Champ Glow Roc3, (new) - Got this SWEET misprint/bottom stamp glow Roc3 and I have been dying to throw it. Haven't used it at all yet but I've been curious to try the Roc3 and this disc was too cool to pass up.

180 DX Roc, (like new) - Decided to join the cult and give the DX Roc a try, however I have not really thrown it much on the course. Not sure if I'll be initiated into the cult since I have those other Rocs but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. This will be the year of the Roc in my bag.

So there you have it. This is all I can do while the snow melts and the ground dries out. My listed distances are unofficial, I am not really sure how far those discs are going. These are educated guesses. Also I know I had a bag thread from last year but it's old so I decided to start fresh.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 25
Very nice bag! If the champ is too much, the FB is much more manageable in star. Also the CPD good fill that slot. And I think we throw similar distances and the wraith in Pro bombs past the champ with tons of glide. Whatever the case it's a nice bag!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 33
Pick up a Renegade. It is basically the same speed as the Wraith, but it has a little more turn to it.
The rim seems as small as a ten speed and it flies amazing. I am getting much better D by switching to this disc. It is not to fast to handle.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmer2303 View Post
Very nice bag! If the champ is too much, the FB is much more manageable in star. Also the CPD good fill that slot. And I think we throw similar distances and the wraith in Pro bombs past the champ with tons of glide. Whatever the case it's a nice bag!
Thanks! I have actually been wanting to try a Star FB instead of my Champ. The thing goes left immediately out of my hand and it's a hard disc to really utilize. I also originally wanted to try a Star Wraith because I saw a guy at the Memorial last year bombing a beat Star Wraith and it was a mold that I always had in the back of my mind. I have also heard good things here about Pro as you have just recommended, so it looks like I'll have to really figure out what works best for me in the long run. So many discs, so little time...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
Pick up a Renegade. It is basically the same speed as the Wraith, but it has a little more turn to it.
The rim seems as small as a ten speed and it flies amazing. I am getting much better D by switching to this disc. It is not to fast to handle.
Nice Is there any certain plastic you recommend? It seems like people here are talking a lot more about DD these days. I've never thrown any of their stuff but I have that Tursas and a GL Saint.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
Thanks! I have actually been wanting to try a Star FB instead of my Champ. The thing goes left immediately out of my hand and it's a hard disc to really utilize. I also originally wanted to try a Star Wraith because I saw a guy at the Memorial last year bombing a beat Star Wraith and it was a mold that I always had in the back of my mind. I have also heard good things here about Pro as you have just recommended, so it looks like I'll have to really figure out what works best for me in the long run. So many discs, so little time...!

Nice Is there any certain plastic you recommend? It seems like people here are talking a lot more about DD these days. I've never thrown any of their stuff but I have that Tursas and a GL Saint.

Thanks for the replies!
I have been using the Biofuzion because I caint seem to get enough spin on the lucid to make it turn like it should. I am using a 171g I believe. I was a consistent 320' thrower until I started using the renegade. Now I have hit 380 consistently and 400 a couple times. Even though it is a faster speed than I prefer it seems to fit and feel right in my hand.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Eagle Member

Awesome. I'll have to check it out! I dream of the day that I throw 400'. Hopefully I can pick up some distance this year and I'm always down to try new discs.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Well I am a bit heartbroken that I n00bishly left my Tangent on the course yesterday so in light of things I am rethinking a few slots in my bag. Here is my amended bag as of 4/29/14:

Champion Wraith
Champion Firebird
Star Teebird
Z Xpress

ESP FLX Drone
Champion Glow Roc3
TP Tursas

ESP Zone
Neutron Ion
ESP FLX Challenger

Decided to kick the Buzzz out of the bag for a while in favor of the Roc3. I only got to throw my Roc3 a couple times yesterday before we left but man did it fly beautifully! Since I've been wanting to give the Roc a true trial I decided to put the Buzzz away.

I'm sad to be missing my Tangent but at least now it will make me focus on learning my Tursas which hasn't seen much use. I would like to get my Tangent back as it was a favorite but we must look forward to the future. Now I will not only focus on a select few molds but I will also trim some weight in my bag . Hopefully this rain dries out soon so I can get back out there and throw some plastic!

Edit: I am still in consideration for switching up my distance driver. I was thinking of trading in a couple discs. Might not be for a short time but the Champ Wraith is up for review. Same as my FB. I want a more workable OS driver so he's on the chopping block right now.

Last edited by Nasty Nate; 04-30-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 AM
Bogey Member

I get a nice straight shot with some good D with my beat in champ beast 175 I'm more comfortable with
Stable discs I picked up a new gstar wraith but it hasn't made the bag yet it seems to close to my valk but
I bomb the valk farther out
Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

A light DX Firebird is still rather OS and laughs at wind, makes a great FH disc too. My DX Banshee I do laughably bad FH throws, but it's a nice straight disc w/plenty of fade. Might consider both of those. I like lighter discs so a lot of what I throw is actually 150 class, but they've been pretty nice to me. Always lots of positive comments on here about the PD and how it's basically a longer Teebird. Between the S, C and P plastics, you certainly have options.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
A light DX Firebird is still rather OS and laughs at wind, makes a great FH disc too.
Beat to the punch. I have a DX Firebird that I put in the bag for windy days. Sorry to hear about the Tangent. I often hand one over to newer player since they enjoy how straight it is. It is good for very accurate shots, too. Have you thought about a Stingray? I really like it as my left-to-right midrange disc and I have about as power as your.