Disc Golf Center
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Birdie Member

xjohncandyx: 2k14

It's that time of the year again! Keeping it simple this time around.

Years playing/experience: 5 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, limited FH/OH but progressing (distance getting better, accuracy still work in progress)
Golf Distance: Averages - Pure: 200; Truth: 250; Teebird: 300' (need to update these)

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps: None
Other sport proficiencies: Well-rounded but don't play anything regularly.
Additional Information: Play 1-3 times a week in good weather, making progress every year.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I like the minimalism/simplicity. I shouldn't be second-guessing myself. I like limited mid-ranges as I'm kind of all over the place there historically but there still might be some overlap. No real distance drivers yet...don't see enough distance increase to really warrant it.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Missing pieces.
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to round out my form and push my average drive to 350'. My big project is weight transfer. I'm already seeing some progress: my standstill throws are going as far as my run ups were previously in field work. I need to play with height on some shots to get more distance. Extend putting comfort zone to 15-20'.

Drivers:
150g Star Teebird - new, hoping to season the stability out, pretty straight
170g pre-flight DX Teebird - used, stable/understable, straight shot (temporary until Star seasons)
171g Brinster Teebird - still pretty stable after a season of use
175g Glow Champion Teebird - flat, borderline overstable
168g GL River - seasoned, flippy
164g Opto River - nice turnovers, controllable lines

Mids:
175g Lucid Truth - workhorse, slight turn when flat, workable lines
177g Classic Truth - a tick more stable, no turn
174g Classic Suspect - borderline overstable

Putters:
176g Opto Pure - drives, dead straight
174g ESP Zone - overstable, forehand shots, utility
175g GL Pure - approaches/upshots
176g EZE Pure - putts only
Old 01-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
I would definitely look at getting some drivers. you have played for 5 years i would go with at least a speed 12 disc in the bag. maybe a tern, destroyer, krait
Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Birdie Member

I think the highest speed I own is 10, a few PDs. I have a couple Escapes too but they're only 9.

Last time I threw a Destroyer it was kind of a joke...

Like I said in the bio, I'm not too sure if I have the arm yet to get a lot more out of the high speed stuff. Maybe I'll look into the Trespass again, it's Destroyer-like without dealing with a dozen different runs to weed through.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

look at a tern. the tern i s a great control disc for distance. hard to say how far your throw but hard to win tournaments if you can only hit 300 feet. unless you are super accurate at 300 feet all the time.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Birdie Member

Would you recommend Star or Champ? Any specific runs?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

well there in the first run of terns. champ is stable. and will flip over slightly. star is flippy. 12 6 -4 2 and champ is 12 6 -2 2
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Birdie Member

Not quite a Tern but I grabbed a seasoned Fuzion Trespass to try out. If I did my research correctly, it should be similar to a seasoned Destroyer.

Also preemptively booting the DX Teebird. The Star turned out to be less stable than expected and should perform well as a stable/understable fairway.

Working on my form has already added some distance to my throws, so I'm very curious to see the Trespass fly. By the time the arctic weather is gone I should be ready for the season.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Eagle Member

I had a champ teebird for about a day. it was way to overstable for a fairway driver. i needed something stalbe with distance.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 68
If you're comfortable with Teebirds, don't worry about the high speed stuff. In my experience, I didn't have a use for high speed drivers until I was consistently getting my Avengers past 400'. Yes, I did try a Tern, and it didn't do anything for me. It wasn't as understable as I thought it would be, and it didn't fly any farther than my Avengers (this was when I was throwing between 340' and 390'). However, one day, out of the blue, I was suddenly "able" to throw high speed drivers, and I now bag a couple of Nukes and a Force.

Basically, I would advise you against being pressured into throwing fast drivers. I think you'll lose accuracy and control, and the distance you gain will not be significant. You'll know when you're ready for the warp speed stuff.

As far as filling holes in your bag goes, do you have a true overstable driver for headwinds, flex shots, and skips? If not, and if you like the Teebird/River rim size, I would suggest trying a Champion Banshee. Also, is there a difference between your Opto and GL Pures? If not, I would suggest you try beating up a ZH Pure for understable/touch shots.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
I think you'll lose accuracy and control, and the distance you gain will not be significant. You'll know when you're ready for the warp speed stuff.
This is pretty much why I've been avoiding them. I'll screw around with the Trespass for kicks at home and see if anything has changed every few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
As far as filling holes in your bag goes, do you have a true overstable driver for headwinds, flex shots, and skips? Also, is there a difference between your Opto and GL Pures? If not, I would suggest you try beating up a ZH Pure for understable/touch shots.
I have several Firebirds (sweet, FAF, pearly 12x) to choose from for OS duties but chose to leave them out and give the Glow TB a good workout. I don't deal with a lot of wind (mostly wooded course) and I truly think that TB is stable enough for everything else...for now anyway. Booting the DX Teebird freed up a slot and I considered throwing a Firebird back in there. I'm comfortable up to about speed 10 (PDs), then things get weird.

The GL pure is kind of a hypothetical right now, I won't have it for a few days but it looks like it does fly similarly. I just wanted to keep drives and approaches separate. I'm weird like that. Also I hate ZH. Tried it last year, I think my pick would be medium. I do have a few practice EZE/TM2 Pures that are decently seasoned so one of those could work. I'll have to try some out.

Thanks for the tips. I don't think I'll solve the distance driver issue until I can get some reliable measurements. And 10"+ of snow isn't gonna help that.