Disc Golf Store
Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Has the bag changed at all? Also, what about a comet instead of a fuse? Aren't they supposed to be awesome?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Elephant View Post
Has the bag changed at all? Also, what about a comet instead of a fuse? Aren't they supposed to be awesome?
I've got a tournament this weekend...I'm still deciding on exactly what I'm going to be carrying for the courses I'm playing (one open, the other wooded) and I'll post it before the tournament.

I went through a little Comet affair about a year ago. They are nice, but they are really different from most other golf discs. It requires a much different release than my Buzzz, which I didn't like. I base my game around the Buzzz. It is why I need a good driving putter, why I can skip slower drivers and go with just the PD, and why I need a midrange that flips. So the Comet just doesn't fit with the Buzzz imo. The Comet is also NOT a flippy disc. You can torque it over or throw it turned over, but you can't throw a touch shot that flips unless you get one beat. The Fuse flies like a flippy Buzzz, so I have to change less form wise to be successful with it.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

175 Medium Proto Red Ion--Putts, approaches, short/straight drives.
174 Medium Ion-- Stable drives and upshots
175 Soft Ion--Shots that need to turn more either directions, including putts

177 Goldline Fuse--anhyzers, turnovers, touch shots
177 Glo Z Buzzz--workhorse of my bag
177 2FR Buzzz--longest and straightest Buzzz, almost a FWY driver
177 Opaque Green Z Buzzz--More stable for wind/true hyzers
175 XXX--overstable, wind, utility
173 XXX--Like broken in version of other XXX, glides better and skips less

174 P-PD--beat for turnovers/rollers/tailwinds
172 P-PD--stiffy--dead straight
175 S-PD--seasoned, all sorts of glidey hyzers/S shots/straight distance
175 S-PD--newer, yet not more stable...better glide and less fade
175 C-PD--overstable for wind, open hyzers, S shots

175 FR Star Destroyer--Control D (little bit flippy)
174 Echo Star Destroyer seasoned--Max D driver
174 Echo Star Destroyer---new for some wind/stable shots
175 Champ Destroyer--super domey and overstable for wind/hyzers
Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 24
Hey DS,

Some questions for you about your disc selection:

Why do you choose the destroyer over something like the boss? I am in love with the E*boss (lots of glide and predictable fade) and can get an easy 400' hyzer line shot out of it at 80%. A friend has an E*destroyer and loves them. He throws much longer than I do (600'+ measured) and doesn't like the boss much. I'm trying to figure out why a lot of people don't like it vs the destroyer. I'd appreciate any thoughts you could give on the boss vs destroyer.

What distances do you use your PDs out to? About the limit of mine is 350-375', because beyond that the Ps get a little squirrely and I haven't figured out my S (Xmas stamp) out yet. (Just had my second child Wednesday, so I've been a bit preoccupied!)

Do you push putt or spin putt? Another way to ask this question is which do you like better--the soft Ion or the medium Ion? I understand they do different things, but which do you like better? I like my medium, as it's stable, but not over- and isn't "stiff."

Thanks! I agree with your assessment of the Buzzzes as well. I don't have any 2FRs, but I do have one FR left and it is on the shelf to not get lost!

Daniel
Old 05-28-2010, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
Hey DS,

Some questions for you about your disc selection:

Why do you choose the destroyer over something like the boss? I am in love with the E*boss (lots of glide and predictable fade) and can get an easy 400' hyzer line shot out of it at 80%. A friend has an E*destroyer and loves them. He throws much longer than I do (600'+ measured) and doesn't like the boss much. I'm trying to figure out why a lot of people don't like it vs the destroyer. I'd appreciate any thoughts you could give on the boss vs destroyer.
Daniel
There are many reasons I choose the Destroyer over the Boss/Nuke/Katana. Mainly, although those discs do go forward faster than the Destroyer, it is not by a whole lot. They do however move right and left faster than the Destroyer and are more sensitive when turning in either direction. I can also throw the Destroyer with different angles and get different flights. With the faster discs I feel like I always have to release them either flat or with just a touch of angle in either direction. They are very sensitive and either a little too much hyzer/anhyzer and the shot totally fails. For the Destroyer to fail, I have to make a bigger mistake. Also, the faster discs are more height sensitive. For example, if I'm out in the wide open and I crush my Destroyer with a little height, if I'm 5' too high or too low, the distance I'm going to achieve is only going to be slightly affected and the flight path and landing area will be the same. If I throw a faster disc too high or too low, it affects the flight much more. Too high and they stall and fade hard. It cuts off distance and the line/landing area is greatly affected as well. So you must throw them low, which also increases the chance of throwing right into the ground and cutting your drive in 1/2 or 1/3.

The faster discs do have their advantages. They can go farther on a lower line, and they can go straight farther and still fade hard at the end. In my game, these are not situations that occur much, certainly not enough to deal with the increased sensitivity of the faster discs.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

What distances do you use your PDs out to? About the limit of mine is 350-375', because beyond that the Ps get a little squirrely and I haven't figured out my S (Xmas stamp) out yet. (Just had my second child Wednesday, so I've been a bit preoccupied!)
Daniel

First of all, I only use my P-PDs for anhyzers, low power shots, and shots that cannot fade. I mainly use my S-PDs, which are a little less touchy at the 350'-400' range (mine are all the newer mold). Under 375' and I'll throw them on just about any line. Approaching 400', I'm only going to use the PD for a laser straight shot or an anhyzer.

BTW, I have a 2 month old daughter, so I know how that goes. Congrats!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Hey DS,

Do you push putt or spin putt? Another way to ask this question is which do you like better--the soft Ion or the medium Ion? I understand they do different things, but which do you like better? I like my medium, as it's stable, but not over- and isn't "stiff."

Daniel
I have a combination style, but I think I lean a little toward the push side. I spin the disc just enough so there is not so much drop in the flight and I get a smooth flight (most push putters throw up wobbly shots). I have a straddle putting stance.

I prefer putting with the medium Ions as the softs require a little more spin than I like to use. I still haven't had the mediums long enough to solidify what each does in my bag, but after a month I should have a real good idea.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
First of all, I only use my P-PDs for anhyzers, low power shots, and shots that cannot fade. I mainly use my S-PDs, which are a little less touchy at the 350'-400' range (mine are all the newer mold). Under 375' and I'll throw them on just about any line. Approaching 400', I'm only going to use the PD for a laser straight shot or an anhyzer.

BTW, I have a 2 month old daughter, so I know how that goes. Congrats!
That's exactly what I was thinking for the PDs.

Congrats to you as well! I have two boys, so at least I know what I'm getting into--none of that unknown territory with girls!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Are the freak stamped S-line PD's better than the other S-lines?

Old 05-29-2010, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

I have never thrown a Freak S-PD.