Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
It's probably just me, but Cyclones seem to continue to penetrate forward as they fade. There are a lot of times where I throw a hyzer shot and walk up to where I saw it land, only to have it 5-10' up from there with me wondering "What the Hell is it doing up there?" That was why I used them over Gazelles most of the time back in the day. The X's don't seem to do this for me and are shorter for me in general, but the ESP's have me back on the Cyclone bandwagon.

Was the Cyclone you tested domey or flat?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I
Was the Cyclone you tested domey or flat?
I don't really like flat discs in general (with the exception of my wind beating C-PDs) as it seems to sap glide. I picked the only ones we had that were on the heavy side (175) and had a decent dome. They don't have big poppy domes, just a nicely sloped shoulder to the circle stamp and flat on top. The forward penetration on the fade that you referenced above is the exact reason that I love my PDs, and the Cyclone is like a mini-PD to me (I'm sure you'd say that the PD is a mega Cyclone).
Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm not a fan of flat discs either. I just have heard some people extolling the virtues of the flat Cyclones. Personally I think they must be on crack, but to each their own.

I just had the same "descriptive difference" over the Comet. The other guy called them huge Aviars, I called them small Zephyrs. It just depends on your point of view.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Elephant View Post
Keep us posted, I've been toying with the idea of adding a mold between PDs and mids (although I throw Comet/Roc) and wondered if the Cyclone would be a good addition.
Today I became a full-on ESP Cyclone convert. The disc is awesome, exactly like a mini-PD, but it's even more controllable due to it's slow speed and awesome glide. Despite great glide, it performed reasonably well in 5-10mph winds today.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Is it more like a Buzzz that you can crank on it and it flies decent on low lines or is it finicky like a Comet?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Is it more like a Buzzz that you can crank on it and it flies decent on low lines or is it finicky like a Comet?
Much more Buzzz than comet.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
I swear I'm going to block you, you make me want to buy too many new discs.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I swear I'm going to block you, you make me want to buy too many new discs.
I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick out some Cyclones for a couple DGR buddies...Let me know if you want something.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
If you're wanting to increase your FH throwing options, have you tried a Wasp? I found I had trouble getting a Buzzz to not flip on me over 150' and tried a Wasp. It flies very similar to the Buzzz (obviously with the family lineage, I know) so there's a minimal learning curve and flips a lot less when you really throw it. The Zs are my favorite and have been incredibly reliable up to 275' so far.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
If you're wanting to increase your FH throwing options, have you tried a Wasp? I found I had trouble getting a Buzzz to not flip on me over 150' and tried a Wasp. It flies very similar to the Buzzz (obviously with the family lineage, I know) so there's a minimal learning curve and flips a lot less when you really throw it. The Zs are my favorite and have been incredibly reliable up to 275' so far.
I have a decent amount of WASP experience in the past. I get much more consistent releases with the Buzzz as beaded discs just don't come off my hand clean FH (The Ion being an exception, but the bead is small). I throw my Ions FH up to 150'-200' and I have no trouble adding a little hyzer to my Buzzz to keep in on line if I need to throw it a little farther.

One disc that is an excellent FH midrange and that I may add to my bag in the future is this year's Ace Race disc. I think that disc is better than the Wasp in every way and may well eventually replace it in Discraft's lineup. I've found the Wasp to be one of discraft's least consistent mold as some fly overstable, but others just fly like slower Buzzzes.