Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
I agree with you on the Ace Race disc when max power is involved. It's very stable but full of glide. I'll take a Wasp any day when powering down is involved, though. I didn't find the same thing to be true with the AR disc. It's the same reason I have a Comet in the bag instead of an Impact. I love the grip on the Impact, but it's a one-trick pony. Anything less than full power, and you're looking at some serious fade at unpredictable times. The Comet gets there slower but is more consistent at all speeds. Too bad about the beads. Speaking of that disc, have they even begun seeking approval with this year's Ace Race disc? The Focus at least had a name (as well as certification) months before my local event took place last year.

I know that the ESP Wasps are terribly inconsistent with flights, but I haven't heard/experienced that with the Zs. I have only thrown them for about a year or two though. I hope the mold lives on, even if just in Z. It's incredibly underrated and overshadowed by the Buzzz, which is definitely a great disc. It's just not as FH-friendly.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

I haven't thrown too many ESP Wasps, but the Zs are the ones I was talking about being inconsistent. I was throwing them in '07-'08 along with my Buzzzes, but every time I needed something more overstable than the Buzzz, like in wind or on hyzers, the Z Wasps I kept trying were failing on me. The bead slows them down SO much in headwinds that even if you get a stable one that doesn't flip, it goes 25% shorter into the wind. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of Buzzzes that are as HSS as any Wasp I've had except some very early Z's back in like '03. My friend is sponsored by Discraft and throws FH on 90% of his throws, and he feels the same way. He throws FH with the Buzzz and Drone, but recently switched his Drone out for the Ace Race disc (he's the one who showed me those).

Anyway, throwing style dictates what works for you, so love your Wasp, there are certainly good ones out there. I just strongly prefer the Buzzz and have a natural hyzer on my FH which makes it stable for me. If I need more overstable I bump up to my C-PD.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Interesting about the Wasp's inconsistency. Personally, I like them, but may have had a limited sampling.

But I've not heard of similar inconsistency with the Buzzz, yet the Buzzz is a "modified Wasp" they only difference is the bead, right? Maybe the Buzzz mold is different enough to fix some process problems.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothyfish View Post
Interesting about the Wasp's inconsistency. Personally, I like them, but may have had a limited sampling.

But I've not heard of similar inconsistency with the Buzzz, yet the Buzzz is a "modified Wasp" they only difference is the bead, right? Maybe the Buzzz mold is different enough to fix some process problems.
I think it is because the Wasp is supposed to be an overstable disc, so when they vary from overstable to straight to a little flippy, it really confuses people when they buy it to be their overstable mid. The Buzzz is supposed to be straight. There is variance among Buzzzes...they rang from slightly overstable, to straight, to a little flippy. However, since those buying Buzzzes are looking for a straight disc, it almost always fits the bill. Besides this I think the Buzzz wing does mold more consistently without the bead. I think almost all beaded discs are more variable in terms of stability...The bigger the bead, the more true this is.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
I wonder if this is the reason for the new ace race disc. Then I wonder if they will make a modified (Buzzz version) of it.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
I wonder if this is the reason for the new ace race disc. Then I wonder if they will make a modified (Buzzz version) of it.
The Storm/Impact would both kind of fit that bill.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
The Storm/Impact would both kind of fit that bill.
Hmmm, I will have to check this new one out eventually but the Impact is just not that impressive to me. Newer throwers shouldnt ignore them though.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 43
I see you've joined up on the Cyclone bandwagon

It's a fun disc to throw. Yesterday I met up with someone who's brand new 175g Star Wraith I found. Handed it to him and he stacked it on top of his sonic and Destroyer, the only other 2 discs he threw. I finished the rest of the course with him and his friends and let him try out my Buzz and Cyclone, and he really took a liking to both and instantly noticed how much easier they were to control.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Just curious, what disc do you roll?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I see you've joined up on the Cyclone bandwagon

It's a fun disc to throw. Yesterday I met up with someone who's brand new 175g Star Wraith I found. Handed it to him and he stacked it on top of his sonic and Destroyer, the only other 2 discs he threw. I finished the rest of the course with him and his friends and let him try out my Buzz and Cyclone, and he really took a liking to both and instantly noticed how much easier they were to control.
Yeah, I'm totally enamored with the ESP Clone. I love how it fades so predictably and forward...From the teepad I see it fade and think it's either going to be short or too far to the left. Then I get up to my disc and it's pin high and 20' to the left.