Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 28
Mt. Holiday DGC "Carly's Playground" being pulled for Zip Lines?

Carly's Playground DGC on Mt. Holiday

We gotta do something!

dgscene link Carly's Playground on Mt. Holiday to close?

FB link

Zip lines? For real?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32
Courses Played: 191
Throwing Style: RHBH
Beat me to this donnyv. Here are a couple address to get some feedback to. This is an exceptional course and would be a loss in many ways.

Address:3100 Holiday Road Traverse City, MI 49686

Phone: 231-938-2500

Fax: 231-938-2508

Executive Director: Theresa.Galante@mtholiday.org

Board of Directors: guestservices@mtholiday.org
Old 05-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Email sent.

It has recently come to my attention, that consideration, as to the fate of the Mt Holiday disc golf course, is being discussed shortly. I would feel remiss if I did not take the opportunity to express my opinion.

I am an avid disc golfer, playing for over three decades, living in the Metro Detroit area. My wife and I , in addition to several friends, make a habit of traveling throughout the country, playing disc golf as part of our vacations. Afforded the beauty and unrivaled natural wonder of our two peninsulas, those vacations are often “up north” here in Michigan. We have been making an annual trek up to Boyne Mountain around the 4th of July, and Crystal Mountain each fall, always making Carly’s Playground a part of that trip each season. This course is indeed one of the primary reasons we decide to spend significant portions of our entertainment budget on these trips. I would like to think the money pumped into the local economy by us is substantial. I would like to urge any and all board members to consider keeping this “up north” gem in place. Mt Holiday certainly benefits from the positive reputation gained in the disc golf community. This course is discussed and talked about often in circles of disc golfers, even out of the immediate area.

I understand that difficult decisions are often made, in the pursuit of the maintenance of profitability, in today’s ever challenging economy. But, this course represents significantly more, to many, than a monetary endeavor. It is my hope that the board members and concerned entities feel the same way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Email sent.

It has recently come to my attention, that consideration, as to the fate of the Mt Holiday disc golf course, is being discussed shortly. I would feel remiss if I did not take the opportunity to express my opinion.

I am an avid disc golfer, playing for over three decades, living in the Metro Detroit area. My wife and I , in addition to several friends, make a habit of traveling throughout the country, playing disc golf as part of our vacations. Afforded the beauty and unrivaled natural wonder of our two peninsulas, those vacations are often “up north” here in Michigan. We have been making an annual trek up to Boyne Mountain around the 4th of July, and Crystal Mountain each fall, always making Carly’s Playground a part of that trip each season. This course is indeed one of the primary reasons we decide to spend significant portions of our entertainment budget on these trips. I would like to think the money pumped into the local economy by us is substantial. I would like to urge any and all board members to consider keeping this “up north” gem in place. Mt Holiday certainly benefits from the positive reputation gained in the disc golf community. This course is discussed and talked about often in circles of disc golfers, even out of the immediate area.

I understand that difficult decisions are often made, in the pursuit of the maintenance of profitability, in today’s ever challenging economy. But, this course represents significantly more, to many, than a monetary endeavor. It is my hope that the board members and concerned entities feel the same way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
^^^^THIS

It's a shame that $$$ trumps all the hard work (and money raised for the course) that community did for the area and in honor of Carly. Who votes for these scums who ruin our country just for a buck?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyv View Post
^^^^THIS

It's a shame that $$$ trumps all the hard work (and money raised for the course) that community did for the area and in honor of Carly. Who votes for these scums who ruin our country just for a buck?
I guess I understand the greed part. But, I mean they could recoup some of the revenue with P2P. I did not put that in the letter, but I get the need to bring in some revenue in the off season for a ski resort. If you are going to have someone there to run, guide and take money for zip lines, have them collect some cash from golfers. I am guessing this would not be very popular with the local golfers, but how badly do they want to keep the course. It is a shame, regardless.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyv View Post
^^^^THIS

Pretty strong words, maybe if the disc golfers would step up and pay for the land usage this would help out, but rather you would vilify people for making a business and creating jobs.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Just recieved this response to my email.
After a long debate and deliberation over the safety concerns of our insurance carrier and summer construction schedule, our board had decided not to renew the lease agreement with CJL Playground. This was not an easy decision as we have enjoyed hosting disc golf since 2003 and are sad to see it leave Mt. Holiday. However, the time has come for us to expand into other activities. We have enjoyed working with CJL Playground and wish them luck with their continued mission.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 119
Quote:
After a long debate and deliberation over the safety concerns of our insurance carrier and summer construction schedule, our board had decided not to renew the lease agreement with CJL Playground.
Insurance/safety concerns somehow favor zip lines over disc golf???
Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
After a long debate and deliberation over the safety concerns of our insurance carrier and summer construction schedule, our board had decided not to renew the lease agreement with CJL Playground. This was not an easy decision as we have enjoyed hosting disc golf since 2003 and are sad to see it leave Mt. Holiday. However, the time has come for us to expand into other activities. We have enjoyed working with CJL Playground and wish them luck with their continued mission.
Wow! That really sucks. That is one of my wishlist courses. Well. Time to update my wishlist. Good effort on your part though ru4por.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
Insurance/safety concerns somehow favor zip lines over disc golf???
Two thoughts immediately came to mind:
1) How does ziplining not pose more of a liability risk than disc golf?
2) Disc Gollf and Ziplining can successfully coexisit... case in point: North Georgia Canopy Tours