Old 06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 79
Throwing Style: RHBH
Favorite Hole, Feature, etc. @ The Woodshed in Paw Paw

This idea may have been done before but it just came to me. I'm really interested to hear what other people have to say about some of the courses that I've played, while not being restricted to the constraints of a review.

I really want to focus on the courses themselves. For example: What is your favorite hole? What are your favorite holes? Or what are your other favorite or least favorite things about the course?

I'm going to start with the Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV. (Not the Whippin' Post at this time.) I'm really looking forward to hearing what other people have to say and hope to start an interesting discussion. Here we go.

Hole #13 is my favorite hole on the course. It's a 556' par 4. It plays over a grassy field to start and drops probably 40' down to the base of the valley where there's a narrow opening in a thick line of trees. This is some 400' from the tee. Depending on your position after your drive, you could have a clear shot through the opening in the trees or you could easily end up having to go over or through the trees. The pin is about 150' up the other side of the valley, probably gaining 30' in elevation to a clearing surrounded by trees on all sides. It's not the hardest hole on the course but it's a lot of fun. Even I've birdied it before.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Thread Revival

The following two current threads are to "blame" for me reviving this old one of mine. Plus, it never even got a single bite in the 4 1/2 years since it was started, so I'm going to try again.

Step Into the Played Courses Superlative Sharing Circle
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...oodshed&page=3

Best/Favorite Courses
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=113319

In the first, Cgkdisc mentioned "Among other interesting contrasts, I've never been a fan of Paw Paw from a technical design standpoint, however, aesthetics are great there."

In the second, biscoe says "The Woodshed is definitely one of my 3-4 favorite courses but there are huge design flaws in it that make it far from the best course i have ever played."

Regarding the Woodshed, I understand there are some crossing fairways that are always frowned upon. Navigation, maintenance, the tees, etc. are possible downfalls and I understand that. But I'd really like to hear other opinions specifically on the holes and design. Hopefully, Cgkdisc and biscoe will have some specific information for me. Disclaimer: I'm just very interested in hearing the different ideas and am in no way seeking confrontation. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:31 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 595
Yes, crossing fairways are an issue but more for tournament play than daily play when the courses are not loaded. My biggest technical issue is not blending the woods and open space on many more holes. The holes are either wide open or 100% in the woods. I think hole 2 is the only one I remember that has fairway segments both in the open and partly through the woods by the pin. This would be the perfect place to have par 4s where the first shot is in the open and second in the woods or vice versa. See holes 5 & 6 on Lemon Lake Gold for example. I also didn't recall any holes with well defined dual route fairways in the woods.

I was playing an event there and asked a local in my group why certain trees were removed and other obvious ones were not. And the local said the designer's philosophy is to take out the ones the player doesn't worry about and leave the ones in their way. That's from the school of punitive design versus strategic risk/reward design. Players do a good enough job messing up that the designers doesn't have to make it worse on wooded holes by leaving splitter trees, too narrow fairways, unnatural bends or unclear landing areas.

Note: I played these courses just after Whipping Post went in (late 90s?) so things may be more clear since then.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 02-26-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks for the super fast reply, Cgkdisc. I really appreciate you taking the time to indulge my curiosity! Plus I totally get what you're saying.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
pole saw $50 please Spencer
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 107
Holes 7, 12, and 17 are only the ones I'd call wide open. The other open holes require you to shape a shot to avoid hitting trees or landing in the pond, and land in the best open area to approach the basket tucked in the woods. Maybe a few of them feel wide open after the wooded holes.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

I do agree that some of the holes are really not very good due to
grooming and or just being too tight to be realistic
I was always told the contrast of wooded cramped tee shots and then the wide open tee shots was an intentional ebb and flow design element of the course
as for my fav holes....5,9,and 13 stand out
oddly the holes I consider the worst groomed and unfair are the holes I think about the most and what revenge on : circles and gauntlet etc
Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Chuck its not really much clearer lol
Old 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 78
Holes 8,11,12 are basically just distance contests- throw far enough and have a shot at a 2, boring 3 otherwise. Like playing the Memorial in the mountains. Years ago i used to say that holes Tony Ellis could reach and I couldn't were bad holes- these all fit that model.

Hole 14 is about 80% luck and really just mimics the shot choices on a lot of the wooded approaches. Start the disc in the right direction and hope it arrives.

Ditto what Chuck said about the lack of holes transitioning from open to woods. Hole 7 in particular could benefit from this.

That being said, a lot of what I consider flaws are simply manifestations of Spencer's goals in designing it.

I love holes 1, 4, 9, 13, and 18. Probably my favorite place to play disc golf all in all.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post

I was playing an event there and asked a local in my group why certain trees were removed and other obvious ones were not. And the local said the designer's philosophy is to take out the ones the player doesn't worry about and leave the ones in their way. That's from the school of punitive design versus strategic risk/reward design. Players do a good enough job messing up that the designers doesn't have to make it worse on wooded holes by leaving splitter trees, too narrow fairways, unnatural bends or unclear landing areas.
I haven't played Paw Paw, but I don't have a problem with having different design philosophies rather than a cookie-cutter approach to every wooded hole.
With names like Whippin Post and Woodshed, you should know going in that it's going to be punitive.