Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 PM

Elver and Hiestand Park

Say I remember helping put these two courses in and they were Free . Now I see you have to "Pay to Play" ? Does anyone know when this happened ?

"http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/discgolf/"
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.9
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by damando_ed View Post
Say I remember helping put these two courses in and they were Free . Now I see you have to "Pay to Play" ? Does anyone know when this happened ?

Not sure when it happened, but it is my opinion P2P should usually be celebrated. Give funds to maintain and improve the course, often keep an undesirable element down, demonstrates to park systems that the game can be self sustaining and can be used to encourage new courses to be built.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 PM
.:Team Innova Crew:.

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by damando_ed View Post

It happened 2 years ago. At first I was disappointed, but they have actually been using the funds to improve the courses. Erosion control, new baskets, redesign, etc.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 91
And yet they're still fishing for volunteers to do work. 80 bucks to play all the courses in Madison is a bit out of control, IMO.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
And yet they're still fishing for volunteers to do work. 80 bucks to play all the courses in Madison is a bit out of control, IMO.
Madison Parks (Elver & Hiestand) went pay to play in 2013. $5 daily permit...$40 season permit

Dane County Parks (Token Creek & Capital Springs) have always been pay to play (Token Creek opened in 2001...Cap Springs in 2013). $8 daily...$48 season permit

Most state and national parks charge admission fees, yet still have "Friends of..." groups and volunteer days. Pay to play isn't a silver bullet.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:20 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
Madison Parks (Elver & Hiestand) went pay to play in 2013. $5 daily permit...$40 season permit

Dane County Parks (Token Creek & Capital Springs) have always been pay to play (Token Creek opened in 2001...Cap Springs in 2013). $8 daily...$48 season permit

Most state and national parks charge admission fees, yet still have "Friends of..." groups and volunteer days. Pay to play isn't a silver bullet.
I'll just stick to $5/day at Rollin' Ridge, I guess.

Pay to play is fine, but having to pay to use a course in a multi-use park has always seemed odd to me. They're not charging extra for the five year olds to use the monkey bars.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 750
Throwing Style: RHFH
I think 40 bucks for a season pass is fine. I mean you get two course for the price. It's double that for a season pass at the ridge though the price is warrented!!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuie View Post
I think 40 bucks for a season pass is fine. I mean you get two course for the price. It's double that for a season pass at the ridge though the price is warrented!!
So...

$80 gets you a season pass at a great 18 hole course

or

$88 gets you season permits to three very nice courses (Elver, Hiestand & Token Creek) and one decent (Capital Springs) course (81 total holes).

Both seem like good deals to me.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHFH
The price is fine if you live close enough to take advantage, don't know that I would do that at my local as it's still pretty far.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:52 AM

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 32
I moved away from that area a year and a half ago after the first summer of P2P (summer 2013). I haven't been back since, but I should be there this summer and I'm excited to check it out to see what the changes look like. A few things...

First, like stated, they are charging $40 for an unlimited seasonal pass to both Elver and Hiestand, which are city parks. As someone else mention they don't charge people to walk through the park if they aren't throwing a disc or charge them for playing a pick-up game of basketball, soccer, or baseball. I personally feel that a city park should remain "free" in all aspects of usage because we as a group are already paying for the park with our tax money.

However, I think the P2P is really great, if, and only if, all of the collected funds for disc golf passes go only to the disc golf courses. When I bought my pass in 2013 it was pass #2,XXX. So say 2,000 passes got sold in 2013 (less than what was actually sold) and that trend continued through 2014 and into 2015. We are at roughly 6,000 passes sold at $40 a pop. That is a total of $240,000. Split that between two courses and we are at $120,000 accumulated for each course as of now.

Did each of those courses need $120,000 in improvements? It seems a little outlandish. It seems like more of a money-making tactic to me. Tack on the fact that they aren't going to stop charging for those courses. If there is zero growth on the passes sold each year and we stick with a static trend of 2,000 a summer, that's an additional $40,000 for each course every year. Will they constantly improve the courses? In what way? What exactly is this money going towards? I know people are saying erosion control, benches, maybe new tee signs, install and maintenance labor,etc, but that stuff only costs so much money. Can the city post a public data file with what improvements they are going to make and what the projected costs of each task would be? That would help justify the cost of the pass in my opinion.

Some people say it's good because it keeps the hooligans away. I beg to differ. The amount of trashy people out there playing without passes was still high. Just because speeding is illegal doesn't mean every single person drives below the speed limit signs.

Again... I'll be back in the Madison area for a short period of time this summer and there better be some serious improvements. That's a lot of money to charge people, especially year after year.

Right now I'm living in an area saturated with top-notch disc golf courses that all blow away the courses in the Madison area away and none of them cost a penny.

I understand P2P has benefited a lot of courses around the US. I just want to say... surprise me Madison. I really hope I don't come back to minimal improvement, if any. If anyone can post pictures of where they are at with improvements I'd love to take a look.