Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Default Diamond X Downsizing

According to the Diamond X facebook page:
https://m.facebook.com/DiamondXDiscG...urce=typeahead

Never played the course, but was a destination for sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH

That stinks. Never been, but I,ve heard about the place and have seen pictures and videos. Place looks awesome.

Are they getting rid of a lot of signature holes?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 40
Unhappy

Yeah, pretty well heartbreaking for us locals. The holes that are being removed are the first 9 that went in, which includes the "famous" basket on the side of the cliff hole among a couple of other player favorites. Holes 8 & 9 of the Red Course(Right front 9 as you look at the big bowl) may also need to be relocated as well.

The tough deal is that the course was never approved to be in the park. Our Parks Dept understands that it's a destination, the superintendent had 1 traveler from WI and 2 from WV(?) show up the day they were closing it and he had to personally turn them away. I've been telling them for 2+ years, since I started a new club and began working to improve the local DG community, that Billings has something very special in Diamond X. Their issue is that the land was donated as a natural park with the stipulation of not developing it and the fact that the DG course was put in doesn't sit well with them.

Our club, along with the the help of a local civil engineering firm, is looking to design a couple of proposals to either create a new loop in a very unused area of the park that would connect to one of the top 9's or even work out a major redesign. While our hopes aren't high that we'll get anything major approved, we're going to fight to maintain what we can of one of the most unique and beautiful golf courses in the country. Our first goal is to make sure we get Red 8 & 9 taken care of. With that done we'll have the 1 front nine and still both back nines, which also contain a number of signature holes.

They were supposed to have it re-opened for play by next weekend, when Billings hosts the Big Sky State Games. I'll keep the course page and this thread updated as things progress. Feel free to PM or post with any questions and I'll do my best to answer. I appologize to anyone who was unable to play the X since it's closure in May.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 48

Super bummer. That has always been in my top-5 dream destinations!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:29 PM

That is a bummer. Probably the most unique course in the country and something I really enjoyed playing and played a ton back in the 2002-2006 time frame, and still in my top 5 of over 200 courses played. Not that it helps, but there is a lot of room up top on the blue side for more conventional-type holes, doubt that area gets utilized very much because its so far to get to it. When I helped run the Region 7 championships back in 2006, we put in 9 temps over there (starting right after blue 14 or 15 I think it was, and went west. Some killer par 4's in there and a monster par 5, and tied back into blue 16.

One thing I will say, is that that local club events (and even the pdga for sanctioning some of those events) has been playing with fire the past decade with safety, whenever utilizing holes like "scare tactics" and black 18. These holes incredibly fun to play, but are really unsafe for any player not used to this type of golf, or footing without decent balance. I think its probably been extremely fortunate that no one fell off something and got seriously injured (outside of Judd during his casual round quite a few years ago on scare tactics).
Old 07-11-2016, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 113

Well hell! I suppose there's no trip to Montana for me now. That's too bad. I should've made it happen.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 231

Glad I got a chance to play it before they ruin it.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNodland View Post
That is a bummer. Probably the most unique course in the country and something I really enjoyed playing and played a ton back in the 2002-2006 time frame, and still in my top 5 of over 200 courses played. Not that it helps, but there is a lot of room up top on the blue side for more conventional-type holes, doubt that area gets utilized very much because its so far to get to it. When I helped run the Region 7 championships back in 2006, we put in 9 temps over there (starting right after blue 14 or 15 I think it was, and went west. Some killer par 4's in there and a monster par 5, and tied back into blue 16.

One thing I will say, is that that local club events (and even the pdga for sanctioning some of those events) has been playing with fire the past decade with safety, whenever utilizing holes like "scare tactics" and black 18. These holes incredibly fun to play, but are really unsafe for any player not used to this type of golf, or footing without decent balance. I think its probably been extremely fortunate that no one fell off something and got seriously injured (outside of Judd during his casual round quite a few years ago on scare tactics).
Darrell, your extra 9 from that Region 7 tourney has been discussed as one of the possible adds to our re-design. It left a lasting impression on the guys that played who are still around and involved. If we end up using any of that and have questions, I hope you wouldn't mind if we reached out to you.

The part that bums me out about the whole thing comes down to what you say about safety. The city is closing what a geotechnical firm told them was the most dangerous part of the park when, really, the whole place isn't particularly safe. Anyone going into Phipps thinking they're going for "a walk in the park" is either misinformed or clueless. This isn't the first large rock slide out there since the course has been in. It's the first large rock slide to be blown up on social media so the city had to react. Closing off their exclusion zone doesn't guarantee any park user's safety. Countless areas exist where rocks can fall or have fallen and create unsafe ares to walk through, rattlesnakes, lack of amenities(I've known of multiple heat stroke victims), or the near unusable road system that had to updated after an ambulance couldn't get to a walker that fell and broke their leg a year or so ago.

Unfortunately, the situation has developed and the green front is being/is already partially removed. While I feel that it takes away a quite bit of the charm and some unique shots from the course, it was the easiest golf of the four nines. Hopefully if we can come to an agreement with the city, what come of this will improve the level of golf and quality of the course as a whole. Even if it remained with only 1 front 9 and both back 9's, The X will still be a destination.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 112

I hope so Brent. I need to get out there to play golf.

…maybe some foosball

Old 07-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkeyPuck View Post
I hope so Brent. I need to get out there to play golf.

ůmaybe some foosball
Paul, you make it to MT and I'll make the golf and foos both worth your while