Old 10-06-2016, 12:48 PM

Courses Played: 4
Default Course Suggestions

So I'll be traveling a lot in the near future for residency interviews, and I will get to see a lot of new cities. With that comes new DG courses, and I am on here just looking for a few suggestions for places to hit up while I'm moving around. Here are the places I'll be/be around:

Memphis, TN
Nashville, TN
Knoxville, TN
Atlanta, GA
St. Louis, MO
Birmingham, AL
Charleston, SC
Winston-Salem, NC
Durham, NC
Raleigh, NC
Richmond, VA
Charlettesville, VA
Cleveland, OH
Baltimore, MD

I should be at any one location with enough time to knock out a round either the day before or after my interview. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 107
Throwing Style: RHBH

Cleveland: I haven't played very much in NE OH, but Roscoe Ewing in Medina or Lakeshore Park in Ashtabula are both decent courses. Roscoe is the first course in OH, a Steady Ed design (only 1 hole has survived over the years, however, #4 short tee), and 3 world champions cut their teeth on that course (both Jenkins and Wysocki).

Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottDenney View Post
So I'll be traveling a lot in the near future for residency interviews, and I will get to see a lot of new cities. With that comes new DG courses, and I am on here just looking for a few suggestions for places to hit up while I'm moving around. Here are the places I'll be/be around:

Memphis, TN
Nashville, TN
Knoxville, TN
Atlanta, GA
St. Louis, MO
Birmingham, AL
Charleston, SC
Winston-Salem, NC
Durham, NC
Raleigh, NC
Richmond, VA
Charlettesville, VA
Cleveland, OH
Baltimore, MD

I should be at any one location with enough time to knock out a round either the day before or after my interview. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
The map and courses features on this site lets you narrow down your searches for courses based on a number of criteria. Chances are you'll want to focus on course ratings, which will show you the top courses in these markets.

Make sure to play Memorial Park when you're there.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: LHFH

Walnut Creek in Charlottesville, VA was a good time. If you're that close, consider looking at Spotsylvania. Hawk Hollow might be available, Lorriella is respectable, and the Blockhouse is fun (contact them ahead of time for permission).

Knoxville has a bunch of courses, and Harmon Hills is fairly close as well.

Cedar Hill and Seven Springs were fun in the Nashville area. They're on opposite sides of town though. Jones Family Bark Park is a mini course in the area if you're looking for something different. It's a short play too.

You really should play around with the course search page and find courses. This thread will probably be hard to manage with all the areas you have listed.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 29

Charleston: Trophy Lakes

Atlanta: Perkerson Park, make a trip out to North Georgia Canopy Tours in Lula, and then Little Mullberry park in Dacula is also a gorgeous and fun course
Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 52

Don't know what your time line is, and what part of Baltimore you'll be in, but if I got that close to Iron Hill, I wouldn't pass on the chance...

Old 10-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 12

I live in Greensboro, NC about 30 miles east of Winston Salem. Two courses we play a lot are Johnson Street Park in High Point, which is pretty close to WS and The Patriot DGC in Kernersville, even closer. I haven't played any courses in WS. Johnson Street gets crowded but Patriot usually isn't. Hit me up if you want to play a round. Good luck with your interviews.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM

Memphis- Bud Hill
Atlanta- The Sinks (actually Chattanooga but real close)
If you ever go near KC go to Waterworks
Old 10-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 51

If you travel through St. Louis, check out Sioux Passage and Briscoe Woods. 36+ holes in the same park. Sioux is probably my favorite course in StL. If you find yourself farther south, Jefferson Barracks and Wilmore are a couple of solid 18 hole courses. Either way, there are plenty of solid courses around here.. I'm sure the Valkyrie Kid has reviewed all of them.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHFH

While in Atlanta depending on what part of town you are in can bring you in contact with some great courses.

Downtown Perkerson is the only course, but it's a really good one. 18 holes though woods and elevation with great teepads and some minimal water.

if you go west of the city, Boundary Waters, Hunter Park and Deerlick are all really closely packed and you could easily play 2 or all three in a day. I think Boundary Waters is great.

Also Hobbs Farm is good too, but getting further from the city.

If your to the south, JP Mosley and McCurrey park are both really good plays.

North of the city, where I do most of my golfing you have Wills park(the first DG course in DG), East Roswell, White Oak and Oregon park. All of which have their charms and if you play on a weekend you will have to PM me.

The only other course that I have played in one of your target cities is Johnson Street park in High Point very close to Winston-Salem, NC. I go up there for tradeshows every year and we have played glow out there a few times and it's been fun. Not easy though. You would probably have more fun playing in daylight lol.

Good luck and have fun!