#1  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C Mike C is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,358
Houston Courses

Visiting my birth state and looking for reccomendations in the Houston area.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 PM
JRW III JRW III is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cypress, TX
Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 762
What side of Houston are you going to be on?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
allinpflop's Avatar
allinpflop allinpflop is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Visiting my birth state and looking for reccomendations in the Houston area.
I recommend that you drive the 2 hrs or so to Austin for good courses.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C Mike C is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,358
Hah, I'm here to visit family etc., just trying to fit in some DG while I'm here. Thinking about playing one close to the airport before I head to where I'm staying, looks like Milby Park is the closest.

Not sure which part of Houston I'm staying in yet, its a new place.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2014, 04:01 PM
jsc430's Avatar
jsc430 jsc430 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,363
Well, a soon to be welcome back then. When are you coming in?

The city is so big, its going to depend on what side of town you are going to be in. IMO most of the upper tier courses in Houston are in the North-Northwest corridor of the city.

First off, you HAVE to play Shawshank. Its a must play. Top 25 in the world. #3 in Texas behind the Selah ccouses. BIG personality(both the course and the owner). About a 90 minute drive from downtown Houston.

Second, Spring Valley is one of my favorite courses. Not super challenging, mostly tight finesse holes, but a really high fun factor. With SV in the N-NW corridor you also have Texas Army Trail, Windwood, and Northside Christian Church and A little farther north is Stone Bridge. All great courses. On the NW side of town there's also Oak Meadows but its private and they're super strict. Of those five I prefer

1. Spring Valley
2. Stone Bridge
3. NS Christian
4. Texas Army Trial
5. Windwood

Then you move to the opposite side of town South-South East and you have Jack Brooks park which is def worth a look. Two courses that are pretty much complete opposites. One wide open one uber wooded. And then with JB you have two relatively new courses Milby - rolling hills with mostly long open holes(but not too open) and Jenkins which is park style with a good mix. Of those four I prefer

1. Jenkins
2. JB - Hills Course
3. Milby
4. JB - Meadows Course

There's nothing on the NE side of town except a private course that they tow cars from. And SW part of town has some decent nine holers - one that just got redesigned into 18 - River Pointe Church - nice course.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C Mike C is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,358
I guess I'll be in zip code 77515 and 77566 which is further out from Houston than I expected.

I just got in from Charlotte. Think I'm going to hit up a course or two before heading out to where I'm staying.

JSC, thanks for the detailed info. I'll try to make it to Shawshank while I'm here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2014, 04:28 PM
JRW III JRW III is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cypress, TX
Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 762
If you make it to the NW side and want to play the private Oak Meadow, let me know. If it is at a time I can meet you out there I can bring guests.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2014, 04:52 PM
jsc430's Avatar
jsc430 jsc430 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I guess I'll be in zip code 77515 and 77566 which is further out from Houston than I expected.

I just got in from Charlotte. Think I'm going to hit up a course or two before heading out to where I'm staying.

JSC, thanks for the detailed info. I'll try to make it to Shawshank while I'm here.
No problem. LMK if you want to get a round in. I'm on the northwest side.

And theres, a mini on saturday at Shawshank, just FYI.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 PM
keltik's Avatar
keltik keltik is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Horneytown NC
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Visiting my birth state and looking for reccomendations in the Houston area.
I thought you were from Ohio.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Stevo's Avatar
Stevo Stevo is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc430 View Post
Well, a soon to be welcome back then. When are you coming in?

The city is so big, its going to depend on what side of town you are going to be in. IMO most of the upper tier courses in Houston are in the North-Northwest corridor of the city.

First off, you HAVE to play Shawshank. Its a must play. Top 25 in the world. #3 in Texas behind the Selah ccouses. BIG personality(both the course and the owner). About a 90 minute drive from downtown Houston.

Second, Spring Valley is one of my favorite courses. Not super challenging, mostly tight finesse holes, but a really high fun factor. With SV in the N-NW corridor you also have Texas Army Trail, Windwood, and Northside Christian Church and A little farther north is Stone Bridge. All great courses. On the NW side of town there's also Oak Meadows but its private and they're super strict. Of those five I prefer

1. Spring Valley
2. Stone Bridge
3. NS Christian
4. Texas Army Trial
5. Windwood

Then you move to the opposite side of town South-South East and you have Jack Brooks park which is def worth a look. Two courses that are pretty much complete opposites. One wide open one uber wooded. And then with JB you have two relatively new courses Milby - rolling hills with mostly long open holes(but not too open) and Jenkins which is park style with a good mix. Of those four I prefer

1. Jenkins
2. JB - Hills Course
3. Milby
4. JB - Meadows Course

There's nothing on the NE side of town except a private course that they tow cars from. And SW part of town has some decent nine holers - one that just got redesigned into 18 - River Pointe Church - nice course.

Exactly... While I would put them in a different order, these are the courses to hit in Houston. My opinion:

1. Shawshank
2. Milby
3. North Side Christian
4. Windwood
5. Spring Valley
6. JB Cedar Hills
7. Jenkins

There's also TC Jester, and north of Houston, but not as far north as Shawshank, there's McDade and Little Egypt. If you happen to be out Saturday, a couple buddies and I will be playing McDade/Little Egypt and stopping at B52 brewery in between.

Enjoy!

EDIT: looking at the ZIP you'll be in, check out Cornerstone Church in Lake Jackson.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.