Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
I love the Stephenville course, it has 2 of my favorite holes that I've played at any course.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 29
Sounds like a good excuse for some Hard Eight BBQ!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Valk View Post
Sounds like a good excuse for some Hard Eight BBQ!
No doubt. The pork chops there are legend.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 33
Awesome. That's on my way to the deer lease in Comanche!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
The new course were putting in down here will be in Keene on SWAU property, the student park. This is where we originally wanted to put a course when we got Carver Park in, but couldn't get the university to ok it. Right now were putting in 9 holes, we have permission for the big area behind the pond, but they haven't ok'd the wooded area behind the dam. The have safety concerns about snakes and the like, we talked a little bit about it with them, that snakes will be largely driven out, and that a popular park nearby has two courses literally on a poisonous snake preserve. We're hoping to add another 9 with a second loop later. The woods are going to be the best holes. Our tentative layout has a few good holes (as well as a few generic holes). At least the open holes will require much less work. We think we can likely get it in by the end of the year, but we have no hard date set. If we have it far enough along I may incorporate it into the ace race in running at Carver.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 33
Awesome news Jeremy. Jarrett texted me a couple days ago to start looking for ways to help get funding for it. I thought having a putting competition at a local restaurant would be a good idea. They could sponsor a hole and we could pay them in food sales if we got enough people there. It's worth a shot to ask around.

If you could find the numbers for how many people play a tournament level course a day, you could show them how many people would see that cheap advertising on a daily baisis. Heck, just go sit at Crowleys #1 teebox all day and keep a tally of how many people come through.(obviously on a Saturday or Sunday)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Jarrett had another discussion with the guy from SWAU. We're cleared to do fundraising, have a bit more of an idea what the a University will throw in monetarily. We've gotten prices for signs, teepads, baskets and the like, so we have a better idea what our budget is. And we've gotten a few commitments for hole sponsors, so things are moving nicely.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 92
Notorious21 reviewed Gateway this past week and confirmed my worst concerns. The course is 40 miles from my house, but I play in a group with some members on the west side. We liked Gateway when it was being maintained. It's sad to read about where it is today.

A course the size of Gateway has to have a lot of maintenance performed by the City. Apparently, it's not high on Fort Worth's priorities to make Gateway a world class park. Too bad. It could be.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
Notorious21 reviewed Gateway this past week and confirmed my worst concerns. The course is 40 miles from my house, but I play in a group with some members on the west side. We liked Gateway when it was being maintained. It's sad to read about where it is today.

A course the size of Gateway has to have a lot of maintenance performed by the City. Apparently, it's not high on Fort Worth's priorities to make Gateway a world class park. Too bad. It could be.
It stayed pretty decent for a while but ever since they closed the back 9 and re-opened, it hasn't been the same. Not sure whats going on, haven't heard a whole lot about it. Still A LOT better than it was a couple years ago though. A ton of work has gone into it.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Eagle Member

I was really hoping that things would be good when it opened back up. I never saw any maintanance problems there, just the other well known issues and the various articles left over from that. I thought that if that got run off it could be a good course, but if it's not being maintained, that's too bad. I kind of thought the reason for cleaning it up was to make it a good park. Really dissapointed.