#21  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Tree Magnet's Avatar
Tree Magnet Tree Magnet is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 73
DFW has some really nice courses. The DG scene has come a long way since we had to play the 9-hole course in East Plano back in the mid-90's. Still not a fan of that course, even with an extra 9 added in.

Best courses I've played:

Veterans
Towne Lake
Lake Lewisville

On my to-do list:

Harry Myers
Lester Lorch Coyote
Lester Lorch Beaver (both were closed when my buddies and I drove out there in early March)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
ZBoazMobster's Avatar
ZBoazMobster ZBoazMobster is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, 76108
Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Magnet View Post
Best courses I've played:

Veterans
Towne Lake
Lake Lewisville

On my to-do list:

Harry Myers
Lester Lorch Coyote
Lester Lorch Beaver
You must have made a mistake: Z-B is on niether list.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM
ntxdiscgolf ntxdiscgolf is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 18
Posts: 143
Harry Myers is my home course, so I can't help but be a bit biased there. However, If I had an out-of-towner, I'd make the trip out to Cedar Hill for Lester Lorch. All-in-all, it's the best dg atmosphere in the area with a great layout for all levels of ability.

Now, if I was to list my favorites, it would go as follows:
Harry Myers
Lester Lorch (both courses)
Towne Lake
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
ntxdiscgolf ntxdiscgolf is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 18
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoazMobster View Post
You must have made a mistake: Z-B is on niether list.
ZBoaz is a great course, but with it's issues. Too crowded and the punk factor is too high. A great course to play in the morning on a weekday.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
glustic's Avatar
glustic glustic is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Keller Texas
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 57
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxdiscgolf View Post
ZBoaz is a great course, but with it's issues. Too crowded and the punk factor is too high. A great course to play in the morning on a weekday.
That is exactly why Z boaz is not one of my Favorites anymore. Coyote at Lester Lorch is by far my favorite course of all time and the Beaver course is not that bad either. All and All you can't go wrong with Cedar Hill. I need to play Rockwall though.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
t i m t i m is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 214
Posts: 685
Add Turner Park in Grand Prairie to the list. I played there when I was back in Dallas recently for a wedding (see my review), and I was very impressed. Blew the doors off other new DFW area courses, IMHO.

(For the record, I'm pasting in links to my reviews of the courses -- not to garner thumbs up or down (don't need them/not worried about them), but to help folks who are interested in the courses... saves typing by repeating comments already posted there in far more detail.)

I learned to play disc golf in DFW in the late 90s, and have lived there more than anywhere else since then, so I watched the scene grow there. If I were going to rate DFW area courses, my top five would be:

Cedar Hill (both courses count together)
Turner Park
Veteran's Park
Harry Meyer
Z-Boaz

Of those, I freely admit giving extra points to Veterans for nostalgia factor. And extra points to Turner park for sheer "fun factor." I highly recommend getting out there if you are in the area; it surprised me a lot. I'm back in DFW once or twice a year, and I try to play at least two new courses each time -- whatever the hottest new courses are that have opened since the last time -- and I've got to say that Turner is the first one I feel deserves its rating. I was very disappointed with Towne Lake, Gateway Park, North Park, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
giles's Avatar
giles giles is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO
Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 147
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by t i m View Post
Add Turner Park in Grand Prairie to the list. I played there when I was back in Dallas recently for a wedding (see my review), and I was very impressed. Blew the doors off other new DFW area courses, IMHO.

(For the record, I'm pasting in links to my reviews of the courses -- not to garner thumbs up or down (don't need them/not worried about them), but to help folks who are interested in the courses... saves typing by repeating comments already posted there in far more detail.)

I learned to play disc golf in DFW in the late 90s, and have lived there more than anywhere else since then, so I watched the scene grow there. If I were going to rate DFW area courses, my top five would be:

Cedar Hill (both courses count together)
Turner Park
Veteran's Park
Harry Meyer
Z-Boaz

Of those, I freely admit giving extra points to Veterans for nostalgia factor. And extra points to Turner park for sheer "fun factor." I highly recommend getting out there if you are in the area; it surprised me a lot. I'm back in DFW once or twice a year, and I try to play at least two new courses each time -- whatever the hottest new courses are that have opened since the last time -- and I've got to say that Turner is the first one I feel deserves its rating. I was very disappointed with Towne Lake, Gateway Park, North Park, etc...
if you had played Towne Lake a few days later, you would have played a completely different course. Looking great right now.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM
dreadlock86's Avatar
dreadlock86 dreadlock86 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: denton, tx
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 207
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by t i m View Post
I was very disappointed with Towne Lake, Gateway Park, North Park, etc...

it seems the locals have been busy at gateway


no comments about saddle hills yet? course page says only 31 people have played it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-08-2010, 04:00 PM
dreadlock86's Avatar
dreadlock86 dreadlock86 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: denton, tx
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 207
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,398
in unrelated news, i just hit bronze reviewer status
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 05-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Donovan's Avatar
Donovan Donovan is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX, 76137, USA
Years Playing: 27.5
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,005
Send a message via ICQ to Donovan Send a message via AIM to Donovan Send a message via MSN to Donovan Send a message via Yahoo to Donovan Send a message via Skype™ to Donovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
I played around Fort Worth and Dallas with Donovan a while back, and I really enjoyed every course we played. I didn't get to hit all the good ones, but I was impressed with the ones I got to. I also enjoyed Donovan and the guys in his group. I have polayed most of the Charlotte, NC courses and think the Dallas/Ft. Worth has a similar quality oif DG to offer. It's different due to climate and geography, but it's really good. Since I didn't run into any slimey reptiles I'd say Lester Lorch was my favorite, but the others were good also. I can't wait to get back and try some more. Z Boaz and Veterans were really nice also.
I'm with you brother! Lester Lorch is hands down, the odds on favorite. Coyote over Beaver if I had to choose "THE ONE".

Harry Meyers, ZBoaz, Turner Park, Bicentennial, & Towne Lake(North of DFW) are all great choices and worth everyone's time.

The front 9 of Lake Lewisville is a beautiful visual experience and Saddle Hills is the one of the best 9-hole courses I have played.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.