Disc Golf Store
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticfalcon View Post
Here are a few I did last night. First chance to do some dyes since my plotter just came in

I am amazed just how Red that black can become.
If I am dyeing red over the top of black, I let my black sit for a long time in the hopes that it won't turn reddish.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by maansmit View Post
If I am dyeing red over the top of black, I let my black sit for a long time in the hopes that it won't turn reddish.
The black sat for 15 min and the Red for 8. The dye is iDye for both.
It actually looks kind of good like that with the 2 different shades of Red but I want to get it worked out better before trying something that matters more.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
The one red over black dye that I've done that didn't turn the black red was on an opaque disc that I sat in black at 140 degrees for 20 minutes. The same process on a translucent disc had the same issue as yours.

Does look sweet though.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM

hope i'm not in wrong place

hope this is ok to ask here.. i dye my own discs.. but i dont seem to get the vibrant colors that yall achieve, for example on the ponies. how or what do you guys to get the colors, temp, time, amount of water/chems. Please help, thnx

if the wrong place, my bad, point me into the right direction.. thnx
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzmx View Post
hope this is ok to ask here.. i dye my own discs.. but i dont seem to get the vibrant colors that yall achieve, for example on the ponies. how or what do you guys to get the colors, temp, time, amount of water/chems. Please help, thnx

if the wrong place, my bad, point me into the right direction.. thnx
How are you currently doing it? What type of dye are you using? What is your current mix?

I use one box/packet of RIT dye to 32 ounces of water. I heat the dye until it just starts to steam, remove from the heat, let it sit a few minutes and then float the disc. I don't check the temperature other than by feeling the sides of the pot (should be able to leave your hands on it without being burned). There are some good tutorials in the thread stickied at the top of this forum.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM

time

the heating is about the same for me... i've never measured the amount of water.. just kind of eyed.. it, I bet that is the problem... and when doing multi colors.. do the darkest first.. correct? lol
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzmx View Post
the heating is about the same for me... i've never measured the amount of water.. just kind of eyed.. it, I bet that is the problem... and when doing multi colors.. do the darkest first.. correct? lol
Do the darkest first is usually true. You may need to remask before doing multiple colors depending on the colors involved.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM

alright cool

i used to do a disc a night, but i moved to a new house and have only done one in the last 3 months.. people are starting to ask for more again lol.... havn't tried multi colors other than like pink and black.... thanks for the suggestions.. if i get some cool ones done i'll be sure to post
Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Just to add to the tip above, my dye recipe is one tbsp of Rit for every 2 cups of water. For a dip dye, I usually mix 2 tbsp RIT and 4 cups of water. Heat to 110-120 degrees. 5 minutes for light, 10 for normal, 20 for super dark, is usually the timeframe. Different colors and plastics change the equation, of course.

What disc/plastic are you trying to dye on?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
My latest one, Vern the turtle.
Closed Thread