Disc Golf Store
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 11
I feel like right now any faster and my timing goes to hell, but you're absolutely right.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

If you're comfortable living with mediocrity, sure barely breaking 300 is good distance. But, the X step is by far the part that people don't suffer with. Proper technique is where they suffer, and speed is definitely not what gives you distance. Joe, that's not very good advice, you're doing the right thing already.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I guess what I've heard is that timing/technique comes before speed, which is what I think rockwell is talking about. I've spent the last 3 months working away from my faster/stronger is better x-step that got me through the last 3 years of mediocre playing.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Well, speed in your X step doesn't translate hardly anything to your throw. If you watch a lot of the long throwers they have a slow, but very deliberately executed X step. Speed in your arm is only good from acceleration once you're into the pec area. Because, forward momentum isn't what propels the disc, it's rotational force.

What the X-step does is a precursor for your body positioning, it's what sets the body into the positions needed to generate power, or better generate power. Which equates to more rotational force. Everything leading up to the disc being tucked into the right pec is all body positions and doesn't require you to exert any real force with your upper body. This is where EVERYONE messes up, and doesn't stay loose in their upper body. They take the body positioning out of the equation and start the whole process too soon. This is why I stress that you do the Right pec drill JUST AS it's described in the video, because this is very key that you utilize the rotational power generated. Though it's limited more in that position, it's just showing you how to institute that key timing that will come from that rotation, with pulling from the pec area. Then translate that to wrist extension and you'll multiply the force coming out of your hand onto the disc.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Well, I went out and played with my Dad yesterday at a course by their house, and had a great day. I overshot the two longest holes on the course, both in the 470 or so range by about 30-40' with no problem, and was hitting 350 with my rocs on bullet-straight lines. That said, today I went out to the field in an attempt to replicate it, but was woefully unsuccessful. I've never had much luck with field distance (which I think has to do with not having something to aim at/my lack of ability to aim at things not in my range) but I was feeling MUCH more nose-down and effortless, just as I was yesterday. I was hitting around 390-400, and just couldn't eek any more d out. It didn't help that it's 97 and 100% humidity here, of course. I've been working on hitting hard with my hips and really getting my grip down, and that's the only thing I feel like was new yesterday. Anyway, here's a throw or two to look at I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5jJPHE5Jf0
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 78
But gentlemen, he is already throwing 500 ft. And 420 with accuracy. I'm not telling someone with 300' distance to work on speed, I'm telling someone who is already knocking them out there with good form to work on speed.

Watch a distance contest, people aren't walking up and throwing. They either have quick light x steps(with a hop thrown in) or big quick 360 turns.

In my opinion it's a great looking throw, and basically all you'll need for golf courses. But if you are still worried about getting more D, work on getting quicker and using a hyzer flip.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM

While it is true that I've hit 500 several times, and have spent weeks with 450 or so at my command, I'm RIDICULOUSLY inconsistent. That's what I would like help with at this point more than anything. Like you said, if I can get a handle on the d that I have (sometimes) I obviously have more than enough d for the vast majority of golf shots. It's just that I was barely hitting 400 today, after throwing basically the same way/with the same form and crushing 500 yesterday. And that's damn odd, and more than a little aggravating.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 78
At that point I just blame it on the discs and wait for tomorrow.

Hopefully you watched some of the U.S. open yesterday and it made you feel better.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Get that right shoulder lower on reach back for hyzer plane.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
But gentlemen, he is already throwing 500 ft. And 420 with accuracy. I'm not telling someone with 300' distance to work on speed, I'm telling someone who is already knocking them out there with good form to work on speed.

Watch a distance contest, people aren't walking up and throwing. They either have quick light x steps(with a hop thrown in) or big quick 360 turns.

In my opinion it's a great looking throw, and basically all you'll need for golf courses. But if you are still worried about getting more D, work on getting quicker and using a hyzer flip.
I don't care how far he's throwing, whether 200' or 700'. Forward momentum does **** for you in technique. Forward momentum does not make you throw farther. ROTATION speed is what you're equating, yes they have fast acceleration in their power zones. That's what makes power, not forward momentum in their run up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChill View Post
While it is true that I've hit 500 several times, and have spent weeks with 450 or so at my command, I'm RIDICULOUSLY inconsistent. That's what I would like help with at this point more than anything. Like you said, if I can get a handle on the d that I have (sometimes) I obviously have more than enough d for the vast majority of golf shots. It's just that I was barely hitting 400 today, after throwing basically the same way/with the same form and crushing 500 yesterday. And that's damn odd, and more than a little aggravating.
There is only one thing that will help with consistency and that is practice my friend. I commend you on your throws, but the only way to get it is practice. Practice till you can't practice anymore, nothing builds muscle memory but practice. Without muscle memory nothing becomes second nature, make it feel like that disc is an extension of yourself. When you can do it without thinking about it, you'll excel.

You mentioned not having a target in your post above the quoted one, the problem here is you're not focusing on the target. Yes, you need to look through your Apex, for your determined line, but if you can't make lines in an open field without a "target" you're severely limiting yourself. What you need to do is focus on throwing THROUGH the apex, then through the targeted area's the disc should be after the apex. Then finally come to rest in your target area. Visually plotting lines, whether there is a target there or not is your key. There is no target when you plot an apex, so targeted descent line after won't have a visual target either. But, you need to be able to visualize those area's, so that you can have something to visually aim for. If you're not focusing on your Apex during your throw, you're not focusing power, and aiming in the right direction. You're throwing with pure muscle memory and luck. When you can pick an apex in the sky, THROW THREW IT, with an intended flight path to an intended target area. That's true line shaping. The target area can be a place on the ground, but those key aspects of visual aiming in the sky is where your energy is focused so you can achieve correct angles to achieve the correct flight path, to make it to the intended target area. Once you learn to manipulate the angles of a disc; pitch and roll. The entire flight path can be manipulated to where you want, determined by your apex.

Most people look at it as if there is a starting point, and an end point. They have to aim for the end point to make it there, but where does that leave everything that's happening in between? Do they leave it to chance, yes. This is why they struggle with line shaping. And, everyone that says they need some sort of aid in keeping the disc straight, or to get the disc in a certain area. Or need a physical target to aim at in open areas, (trust me you're not the only one) drive me absolutely nuts. It has to go correctly through the ENTIRE flight, to make it to the end and be where you want it. Learning to manipulate that entire flight, is true line shaping. Not always relying on what is going to happen once the disc leaves your hand, because a whole **** ton of things can and will happen if you just leave it to chance. Learning to line shape is not easy though, I know that. But, if you don't dedicate time to it like anything else in field practice. YOU, can have the advantage when it comes down to the wire.