Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 112
MOON,
That could probably be done like a faux finish done on walls. You'd need to somehow make the dye 'gloppy' (with paint we added a glazing liquid) and then with a piece of plastic (we used disposable drop-cloths) over it you'd have to move and squish the mixture around to form these patterns.

One of the home improvement sites How-to videos on glazing faux finishes should help.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
If it's just a bunch of random cracks(red) on the cream colored background, there is an easy way to do it on a disc. Put a coating of wax on it, such as from a candle or hair removal, let it harden, then flex the disc until you get the desired cracking. Then apply the dye.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntneuron View Post
Another success with the iDye Poly, used black and red. This stuff really is vibrant and dyes very quickly. The red dip was about ~2 minutes, and the "grey" dip was about 30 seconds in black, and came out darker than I expected. I'm very impressed with this dye so far, the quality and color is much higher than RIT from the initial tests. It takes very quickly so you have to really watch them and make sure not to over expose. I had yellow to use on the eyes, but in my excitement to see how it turned out I peeled off the mask before I did them, so I'll test it out on something else.

Star Firebird - Ultraman

That is an awesome dye. I was thinking i could be the first to do a UM dye but I knew I'd have to get better skills before I attempted it.
Ultimately I wanted to do something like this...
ultraman1.jpg

I figured I'd start with something easier but after my first attempt I realized the lines were too fine for me to attempt.
ultraman2bw.jpg

I figure I'll go for something more like this....
ultraman shirt2.jpg
Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 34
Not if you use my line cutting tool. I swear i've mentioned it in multiple places.
Mini locking pliers + 2 exacto blades = instant fine line by hand. space with another razor or other flat piece of metal for wider lines.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPan12 View Post
Not if you use my line cutting tool. I swear i've mentioned it in multiple places.
Mini locking pliers + 2 exacto blades = instant fine line by hand. space with another razor or other flat piece of metal for wider lines.

I picked one of these up the other day and I'll be trying it out today on my first dye in months. I have steel washers of all thicknesses, so one of those should give me the right width. The only problem I foresee is that anything that comes to a point will have to be finished off with a single blade.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
I probably read something about a line cutter here and I have been mulling over the idea in my mind for a while. I am still overwhelmed by the actual artistic talent required to produce some of the great dyes I see here. I'm in no rush.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 97
Quote:
I tried your idea last night and it def did a way better job than I could have with a single blade. Not easy to use, though. Prob gets easier with practice. I'll post it when it's done.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 17
I'd love to do this if I could change the word sleep to putt. Anyone with artistic abilities and decent software want to try to change it for me and make it the correct size to cover a disc??
Old 10-12-2011, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer

Can someone give me a quote for this to be done?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31