Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 15
Need help for great OH and WI course--PLS

planning a disc golf trip from MA to MN. I have the courses i want to play in NY, MI and MN but would love a little advice for a course in OH and WI.

In Ohio we are traveling on 90--would love to find a good course somewhere near cleveland, toledo area---basically not a huge drive off 90 or my wife wont go.

For Wisconson,,we are playing flip city then taking the boat shuttle across lake MI from Muskegon i believe. So a great course in middle of WI but toward lake michigan would be great.

would really love some help...ive spent a few hrs looking through courses but i bet any local that plays could tell me exactly where to go.

ty in advance.

dukduk
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Looks like the ferry from Muskegon goes to Milwaukee. In that part of WI near the lake, your best bets are Dretzka & Brown Deer. Dretzka is usually pretty crowded as it is more recreational-friendly while also offering a great playing experience to accomplished players.

On your way to MN, a little further west are 3 courses in Madison that are pretty cool courses - Elver, Hiestand, and Vallarta-Ast/Token Creek. I have played almost all courses in the area you will be and I think those are your best bets. Can't speak for other courses further west than Madison.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you are really taking the lower lake ferry to Milwaukee, consider the Justin Trails complex of two courses in Sparta. Your wife might like that it's also a very nice B&B. If you are really taking the northern ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc, then consider Winter Park (haven't played it but Superberry will jump on here if not mentioned anyway) and the two courses at Tower Ridge near Eau Claire.

There's not too much near Toledo off I-90 . If you're coming back thru Chicago, consider dropping down off the Indiana Turnpike to play the Lemon Lake complex where Pro Worlds will be held at the end of July.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 07-07-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Looks like the ferry from Muskegon goes to Milwaukee. In that part of WI near the lake, your best bets are Dretzka & Brown Deer. Dretzka is usually pretty crowded as it is more recreational-friendly while also offering a great playing experience to accomplished players.

On your way to MN, a little further west are 3 courses in Madison that are pretty cool courses - Elver, Hiestand, and Vallarta-Ast/Token Creek. I have played almost all courses in the area you will be and I think those are your best bets. Can't speak for other courses further west than Madison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If you are really taking the lower lake ferry to Milwaukee, consider the Justin Trails complex of two courses in Sparta. Your wife might like that it's also a very nice B&B. If you are really taking the northern ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc, then consider Winter Park (haven't played it but Superberry will jump on here if not mentioned anyway) and the two courses at Tower Ridge near Eau Claire.

There's not too much near Toledo off I-90 . If you're coming back thru Chicago, consider dropping down off the Indiana Turnpike to play the Lemon Lake complex where Pro Worlds will be held at the end of July.

awesome,,,exactly the advice i was looking for thanks. Anyone in the cleveland area or nearby I-90 with a course? Pretty much looking for just one more to fill the road trip.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 94
there is a good course in Euclid/Ashtabula OH, right off 90, Sims Park, not an epic course necessarily but it you are sticking close to 90 that would be your best choice.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukdukgolf View Post
Anyone in the cleveland area or nearby I-90 with a course? Pretty much looking for just one more to fill the road trip.
here is one in that area that has not been reviewed if you are into that sort of thing.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1304
Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 59
You could try this one.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1323

I just played a tournament here and it was a pretty nice course around a reservoir park about 6-7 miles off the turnpike. Course seemed extremely challenging but unique and fun.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 92
I think the ferry out of Ludington to Manitowoc is significantly cheaper than the Milwaukee ferry, with only a slightly longer trip time. If you opt for that route, play Silver Creek in Manitowoc, and like Chuck said (and like superberry WOULD say--I think I can safely speak on his behalf here--"Winter Park is a great course, super balanced and favoring accuracy and precision game over just bombers. Lots of woods, elevation, water, and open."), Winter Park in Kewaunee. I'm just south of Manitowoc about 10 miles and would be more than happy to accommodate you at LTC Cleveland for a relaxing round before the other more difficult courses pummel you!...PM me if you so desire; I may even be able to meet up with you at Silver Creek.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 111
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula is going to be the best one on your route in Ohio. Its a very nice course, well maintained, multiple tee pads and basket placements. The park is very nice, has restrooms, snack shop, and is located right on Lake Erie.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Probably a bit of a stretch but I think you might be surprised by Pymatuning just south of Erie PA....a great course next to a glorious Lake......probably PAs most underrated course.