Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeaslee View Post
To those of you using Traks, do any of you use (or used to use) Rivers too? How do the two compare for you, do they overlap, do you use both?
I'm currently going through this shakedown myself. I've got a 175 M Trak, a 170 GL River, and a 176 Opto River. I got a little fairway driver happy with these discs. IME, which isn't very long, my Rivers will beat the Trak on glide, while the Trak will stick landings. I played a course yesterday where I threw the Trak and 170 GL River from the tee and both were pretty straight for me and flew similar paths - it was the landings that differed. When I want and can afford a skip, I'll throw the River. When I want a stuck landing, I'll throw the Trak. I'm still trying to figure out which River I should keep throwing, though. So far, they both have a place in my bag.

I have an Ibex that I'm testing against my Buzz, but I haven't been playing at many courses where I'll have to take them out or throw from the tee.

I also have a summit (175 F) and Ridge (175 M) that I'm trying to work into my driving or P/A putters. Currently I've got an Omega SS that's doing most of my putting. That may change if I can get a hold of some Soft X-Links.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomex View Post
I'm currently going through this shakedown myself. I've got a 175 M Trak, a 170 GL River, and a 176 Opto River. I got a little fairway driver happy with these discs. IME, which isn't very long, my Rivers will beat the Trak on glide, while the Trak will stick landings. I played a course yesterday where I threw the Trak and 170 GL River from the tee and both were pretty straight for me and flew similar paths - it was the landings that differed. When I want and can afford a skip, I'll throw the River. When I want a stuck landing, I'll throw the Trak. I'm still trying to figure out which River I should keep throwing, though. So far, they both have a place in my bag.

I have an Ibex that I'm testing against my Buzz, but I haven't been playing at many courses where I'll have to take them out or throw from the tee.

I also have a summit (175 F) and Ridge (175 M) that I'm trying to work into my driving or P/A putters. Currently I've got an Omega SS that's doing most of my putting. That may change if I can get a hold of some Soft X-Links.
When I first got my Ibex, I also tested it against my Buzzz, and it almost beat it out of the bag. I really like the Buzzz's flight path, and for me, my Buzzz's fly slightly faster and further. When it comes to slow speed approaches and control shots, my Ibex is money.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutz167 View Post
When I first got my Ibex, I also tested it against my Buzzz, and it almost beat it out of the bag. I really like the Buzzz's flight path, and for me, my Buzzz's fly slightly faster and further. When it comes to slow speed approaches and control shots, my Ibex is money.
I felt the same way for a while. But once my ibex got a little wear on it, it I started to notice it gliding more and carrying farther than the buzzz. It has now completely knocked the Buzzz out of my bag.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 35
I am still patiently waiting for my Obex. I am really looking forward to trying it out.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Thanks for the input on the trak/river. Anyone have any pain/fuse vs ibex/obex combo opinions?

Also, i'm not sure if I missed something, but my older medium vibrams definitely have a different feel to the rubber than the newer ones. The older ones felt more rubbery and the newer ones have more of a satin feel to them, and not quite as grippy or rubbery feel to them. I like the old ones a lot better
Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutz167 View Post
What plastic firmness did you get? I have had three different traks now (two medium and one firm), and my firm one was by far the less stable of the three. It would hyzer flip pretty easy for it. The mediums I have if thrown level and nose down will glide a LONG ways with little to no hst and only a touch of fade. My 169 medium has traveled 405-410 ft with no fade or hst at all before.
I have a 172 M Trak. After playing a round at a middle school yesterday with just my trak, eagle and a putter throwing both the trak and eagle on every shot I am finding differences. The trak does glide forever. And after some practice it's holding annies better. I have a big bag and have room for it so it will stay and I'll keep working with it.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeaslee View Post
Thanks for the input on the trak/river. Anyone have any pain/fuse vs ibex/obex combo opinions?
>snip<
Depending on how fast my order from DGC gets here (I ordered two discs and they're sending by USPS), I will have a 158 M Ascent and 158 M Obex to add to my Vibram collection. I'm still trying to figure out what weight works well for me (with all my discs not just Vibram), so I'll have quite a few Vibrams when I'm done. I'll test out my Ibex vs Buzzz today on some holes, but from what I remember, my Ibex (178 M) doesn't fly nearly as far or fast as the Buzz.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Having made the transition from Colroado down to North Carolina for Worlds and now back to Colorado, I have learned a few things about the stability of Vibram discs. It will be different at different altitudes so lets be kind in the way we review these discs.

There has been a lot of talk about the Trak. Here in Colorado it is a very straight disc and a slow consistent fade at the end. In North Carolina the Trak is a consistant understable disc. It is very easy to predict the high speed turn and you are not likely to see any fade at the end.

The Ibex has a lot of the same characteristics as the Trak in both places.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 12
Has there been any news on the vibram high speed driver as of late? Or has anyone here held one/thrown one?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic cannon View Post
Has there been any news on the vibram high speed driver as of late? Or has anyone here held one/thrown one?
I fondled the prototype at Worlds and was confused as to why it wasn't given away at the Fly Mart (it was advertised as a prize).

I'm also wondering who won the tester team spot from the Fly Mart... I suppose I'd have heard by now if it was me.
Closed Thread