Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I picked up a soft Summit today from my local shop, and it is awesome. There are some precarious greens at my course, where there are drop offs if you overshoot the basket and a lot of slick ground around them, and this thing just wanted to stop where it landed. It was also fun for flicking out of trouble. I even putted with it for the whole round, and while it looks ugly coming out of the hand and flopping toward the basket, it wanted to find chains the whole time. I plan on picking up a medium in the very near future to drive with.

While I am on Vibram, I have a question about the Ibex: What can it do that my Buzzz can't? I have really been clicking lately with my ESP FLX Buzzz, especially on low lines, but I wanna check out an Ibex. Does the Ibex hold low lines well, or does it like height? Can the two coexist, or is it going to be a waste for me to check out the Ibex if the Buzzz is staying in the bag? Last question: My Buzzz is 171 g I think. Should I stick around the same weight for an Ibex, or a tick lower? I recall reading that the Ibex needs a bit more oomph to go, so I wasn't sure where I should go with weights.

Holy cow, that was a lot of stuff to talk about. Sorry. Thanks for reading.
My FLX Buzzz got kicked out of my bag over a year ago by my favorite disc ever, the Element in E HPP plastic. Less fade (meaning zero!) for me for the Ibex compared to a Buzzz, and although FLX ESP plastic is tough, the Ibex is friggin' bulletproof, figuratively speaking. I use it wherever there are trees, and I've found that if I'm not worried about my disc getting banged up or tacoed from a tree, I usually miss the tree. A bit of a confidence boost of sorts. Ibex will also put the brakes on quick when it lands, just like any other Vibram mold. I throw all 175 for putters and mids, so I can't really comment on weight.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Thanks Kutz, this all sounds awesome. Any weight preference compared to a Buzzz?
I use them in pretty much the same weights, but my Ibexes tend to run close to max weight than my Buzzzes do if that's any help. My main Buzzz is 170g and I can get it out to about 350 fairly consistently; my main Ibex is a medium firmness and 176g.

EDIT: I also have a 173 Ibex that I will throw in the bag on occasion. The same is true about it as my 176g Ibex. One thing I forgot to mention before is about Ibexes in the wind... Compared to a Buzzz, they don't like headwinds quite as much, but they hold their lines much MUCH better in a crosswind.

Last edited by kutz167; 10-15-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Thanks guys. I decided to pick up a medium Ibex, 170 grams, which is a tick or two lower than my FLX Buzzz. Hoping I can get the Ibex up to speed, since that is the knock I read on it in another thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 94
Quote:
Thanks guys. I decided to pick up a medium Ibex, 170 grams, which is a tick or two lower than my FLX Buzzz. Hoping I can get the Ibex up to speed, since that is the knock I read on it in another thread.
You'll probably like the Ibex. It's a great disc. Give it the dish soap wash as soon as you get it. Medium Vibrams are great in wet and cold conditions.

Note: I haven't noticed a problem getting the Ibex up to speed.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Ok great! I also got my Trak in the mail today (I went a little Vibram crazy in the last week or so) and took it out to the field for a few tosses. It's just point and shoot, I like it a lot. Couldn't hyzer flip it yet though. But it will be fun to throw at the local course. I did feel it was slower than I expected, though. Not sure if that is due to actual speed, or just being able to see multiple colors spinning through the air (I always think tie dye discs look slow, too).
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
take some windex to your discs, that removes the grease and oils and makes your discs grippy as heck.
My 1st run Summit is impervious to this. I've tried Borax, windex, pretty much every degreaser I can think of. Just reverts back to dusty slick in no time. It's kind of crazy.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
My 1st run Summit is impervious to this. I've tried Borax, windex, pretty much every degreaser I can think of. Just reverts back to dusty slick in no time. It's kind of crazy.
my comment was mostly about other plastics, but i did notice what you said to be true also. I gave my trak and ibex multiple washes course time etc to no evail. Found a trak on the course one day no name/number and it was grippy as all get out. I did not keep them around for long because of this too.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 64
I have a Ti Buzzz, a Z Buzzz, a KC Pro Roc, and a XG Roc+ in my bag. I've been hearing a lot about the Ibex and I want to give it a shot. With such a selection in my bag, should I still look into the Ibex to possibly boot 1 or 2 disc out of my bag?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Just wanted to show off my sweet Trak that came in the mail yesterday:

IMAG0285 by Steve@RattlingChains, on Flickr

I am drinking the Vibram Kool-Aid, and so far it is delicious. I am way late to the party.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Just wanted to show off my sweet Trak that came in the mail yesterday:

IMAG0285 by Steve@RattlingChains, on Flickr

I am drinking the Vibram Kool-Aid, and so far it is delicious. I am way late to the party.
By my own experience, I would say vibram is the premium manufacturer when it comes to consistency and quality of molds. No one else seems to always make winning discs like Vibram. If I could only throw Vibram and still meet the slots I want in my bag, I would.

Sweet Trak btw.

Last edited by kutz167; 10-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Closed Thread