Disc Golf Store
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Just did the ol' soap and water wash with my Trak, and it is griptastic! Thanks for the tips!

Is this worth trying with my soft Summit, or is the soft rubber too porous compared to the medium? (I don't know if that would even be a thing, but it would seem to me the soft rubber would be more prone to water damage than medium for some reason.)
Soap and water wash, eh?
I'll have to try this on an Ascent I got. Right now it's so slippery feeling that I put it up on the trade list.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 7
I used a citrus wash on all of my Vibram discs right out of the box. Definitely makes a huge difference once that slippery crap is gone. Dish soap should do It though.. Just need something to cut the grease.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Went out for my first Vibram-only round late this afternoon, and thought I would share my experience for mass consumption.

My local course has a few open holes, but most require tighter, more technical shots, so this setup worked pretty well. I brought:

-Medium Trak (off the tee for 10 holes, should have used it less)
-Medium Ibex (off the tee for 6 holes, plus midrange duties; should have driven with it more)
-Medium Summit (off the tee for 2 holes)
-Soft Summit (putting, get out of trouble approaches)

All in all, it was a fun, simple set of discs. My choices were limited, which meant I had to make the discs work for me. Most of the time, they did. When they didn't, I tended to blame myself more than the disc. A few observations:

1) Not sure I am clicking with the Trak yet. It is a bit more stable than I was expecting, and I like understable discs. That being said, it did get me comparable distance to the Roadrunner I normally take off the tee.
2) It took me about 2/3 of the round to really figure out the Ibex. I was trying to arm it too much to begin with, and it would track left and stay on that line most of the time. Once I figured out that it likes a little less arm and more snap, I was able to dial it in and hit some really tight gaps with it.
3) The Ibex is sneaky long. There were a couple throws where I went to my spot, and had to go another 15 or so feet ahead to get the disc. I like that.
4) I am not sure if the Ibex will take over the Buzzz spot in my bag for low lines yet, mostly because it took off on me when I wasn't snapping it well. I think if I get to learn it better, though, it will shine. It did get knocked around in some crosswinds, though, and I may need to add an Obex if I wanna keep the Vibram kick going.
5) The Medium Summit holds boomerang-shaped anhyzers without burning. Super useful disc.
6) The Soft Summit is my favorite disc in this group. Any time I was in trouble, I could use this thing to flick out of it for a nice, soft landing. It almost bounced off a bush and into the basket on a drive, and I nailed a tasty 60-footer to save par late in the round after I shanked the Ibex. Just a tremendous tool to have in the box of tricks.

I plan on sticking with this setup for a couple weeks, until the winds pick up more, to see what I can do with it. I like the simplification, but I am realizing I need to work on my snap some more to really unlock their true potential. Whatever happens, the Summit has a spot in the bag. The others might make it, but either way it is going to be fun to see what happens. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 45
I'm surprised you really like the soft summit that much for putting. I have a soft summit and if I hit the pole with it it will bounce straight back out towards me. Admittedly its the same consistency as a superball for me right now because of the temperature. Either way, I prefer upshots with the soft and putts with the medium.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Before i knew about vibram i was a magnet/challenger guy. I liked the stability of the challenger but i didnt like how it was so rounded with no finger groove. But i also like the magnet because of the finger groove but i didnt like the understability. Now i have met the perfect combination that is perfect: Vibram Sole. I picked up 2 from gotta go gotta throw, and im am now addicted. I also own a trak ascent and ibex as well and they are slowly but surely replacing discs in my bag because of their great plastics and durability
Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCasper View Post
I'm surprised you really like the soft summit that much for putting. I have a soft summit and if I hit the pole with it it will bounce straight back out towards me. Admittedly its the same consistency as a superball for me right now because of the temperature. Either way, I prefer upshots with the soft and putts with the medium.
I did have a chain out with the soft, but I hit a bad spot in the basket. It never looks pretty coming out, but I can just toss the softie nice and straight.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I did have a chain out with the soft, but I hit a bad spot in the basket. It never looks pretty coming out, but I can just toss the softie nice and straight.
Actually, do you spin put or push putt? I think it only may have been an issue because I only spin putt.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Birdie Member

Have any of the testers received the more stable Lace protos that Steve was talking about after the first protos came out way too understable? Or are these still being tweaked? Anybody know?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADman View Post
found a prototype vibram wide rim driver on ebay (lace).
Current price - $70+

Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
Where do you see that?

Haven't got the tweaked mold yet.
Closed Thread