Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
My take on the Laces I have...

I bought 3 of these things, two of which are 175, and the third is 170, which is what I will usually throw for a max distance shot.

First thing I look at is always consistency between the discs. Between them, the 170 and one of the 175's are identical in stability as far as I can tell. These are definitely Destroyer-like in terms of speed, and matching an average Destroyer's stability. The other 175 is slightly less stable. Not flippy, mind you, but probably only bag-able for me as a tailwind max D disc. It also was useful on max distance anhyzer shots, because it didn't want to fight out of it as much as the other two did. This isn't actually a shot I end up needing a lot, but it's there, and this Lace did it very well.

In my limited sample, I'm ready to call this a reasonably consistent mold. Even the least stable among them wasn't drastically, weirdly different or anything. Certainly at least as consistent as some recently released drivers from another company everyone is talking about...

In dry conditions where grip was not an issue, I'd probably say they'll fly about as far for you as a Sword/Destroyer type disc. I really hate playing in the rain though, and anything that helps me get a more secure grip in wet conditions is welcome. The medium X-Link plastic is always very good in this respect, and in the wet conditions I was testing in, the Laces were longer than Swords, probably partly by virtue of the excellent wet weather material they are made of.

I am a 450' thrower, and these were matching that distance, which is impressive given the weather.

As far as "fit and finish," I've found Vibram to be hit and miss, and these were no exception. All 3 of mine had an excessive amount of flash around the rim that I removed before throwing them. It isn't a big deal, but if you aren't careful you could screw up your new discs, and that would be unpleasant. I think Vibram just kind of gave up on removing flash at the factory, because the last 6 or so I've seen have been this way, and I don't know why. You are honestly never going to wear off that amount of material naturally, especially given the durability of the stuff. This is more a criticism of Vibram than the mold, but I wish they would remove flash, since we're paying at least 2 or 3 dollars more per disc.

Bottom line, I'd recommend these to anyone who can make good use of a Destroyer. They fly at least as long, come in a great material, and seem possibly more consistent in stability across discs. I have seen Ascents that fly more overstable than Firebirds though, so there is no guarantee that a given Lace will be exactly like I'm describing. I am not a fanboy of any company, but I really appreciate Vibram discs, and these are a fantastic addition to their lineup.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
So, this topic has been brought up a bunch in this thread, but I'm gonna bring it up again... We really need Vibram disc golf apparel. I know that Vibram won't put out anything that won't improve performance but I want a way to further represent Vibram. I talk up their discs to everyone who will listen on the course and let people test out my discs whenever they'd ask, but I feel like I could really spread more awareness with a black drifit with the Vibram logo and the words Disc Golf underneath it right in the middle. Plus, it would look rather awesome.

Just saying, I'd love to be able to spread the word about Vibram discs while/by wearing some awesome Vibram apparel.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
So, this topic has been brought up a bunch in this thread, but I'm gonna bring it up again... We really need Vibram disc golf apparel. I know that Vibram won't put out anything that won't improve performance but I want a way to further represent Vibram. I talk up their discs to everyone who will listen on the course and let people test out my discs whenever they'd ask, but I feel like I could really spread more awareness with a black drifit with the Vibram logo and the words Disc Golf underneath it right in the middle. Plus, it would look rather awesome.

Just saying, I'd love to be able to spread the word about Vibram discs while/by wearing some awesome Vibram apparel.
I wholeheartedly agree with this! I am like a volunteer Vibram spokesperson out on the course and I would love to have a couple Vibram polos to help me spread the coolness of the brand!

see here:http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ht=vibram+polo

I'm sure they'd sell enough to make a profit off of fanboys like me.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 20
I'd also purchase some vibram gear
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 26
I'd probably as well. I'm Vibram only in my bag (except my night gear) and have turned many of my friends onto their discs.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Birdie Member

They've made shirts before so I don't see why they couldn't make a bigger batch.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 87
I bought a dry-fit off Dana a little while back and it is my favorite shirt. It should be something they produce more of. I would definitely buy some.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 275
I bet Steve will reply to this request but what he told me this summer when I urged him to make Vibram apparel is that Vibram won't just slap their name on a Hanes shirt for example. If they're going to sell a shirt/hat/etc as a regular stock product they're going to fully develop that base product from start to finish and they really want to concentrate on shoes and discs. I completely understand what he's saying but OMG, who DOESN'T want a Vibram shirt, hat, bag, etc? I certainly hope this will change and I hope Steve will correct me if I said anything not quite right here.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
I haven't bagged a Vibram disc but I like what they do cause they do it very well. And they're logo is awesome I would definitly sport a Vibram shirt.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
I own a couple of Vibram Dri-Fit Shirts. Not sure what to say other than it looks like demand is growing again. Bother the Pinnacle Retailers or the Vibram Pros if you can find them. These are the most likely places to find what you are looking for.
Closed Thread