Old 08-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson
getting on it

I've just started getting really good snap, and I've noticed that I'm getting high-speed turn out of discs that I didn't used to get it from before. The strange thing is that I have to either aim further to the left than I used to, or try to add some hyzer to the disc to get it to go where I want.

What's frustrating is that it doesn't always work that way. I'll add hyzer, then not get enough snap to stand it up, or aim further to the left, and it will just fly there. I know that I'm getting close to a big distance break-through, but this little plateau is frustrating because I feel like I'm spraying my throws all over the place.

This is more of a rant, than me asking for anything, because I know that as I nail down my technique it will even out.

On another note. Why is this freaking game so addictive?! Everybody that I've introduced to it is hooked too. It's ridiculous .. I spend entirely too much time thinking about disc golf ... dammit ..
Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Par Member

How far are you throwing?

And about the addiction... there are just a lot of things to love about disc golf. Everyone likes to watch a disc fly, walk around outdoors, and males in particular like to throw things at targets. Of course there are a lot of females that enjoy the game also, but it is predominantly men that play. It's usually free to play and the discs themselves are very cheap. Anyone can pick up a disc (that's all you need) and with just a little practice, make it fly well enough to get pars and the occasional birdie. In ball golf, newbies struggle to get pars for a year or more and double bogeys or worse happen quite frequently. In short, its just low stress, cheap, and fun. And, if you want to try to get really good and play tournaments or league you can do that also, so the competitive aspect is there.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Some of these are finally getting past the 300' mark (320-330). Prior to this last weekend, I had only thrown over 300' once, and it was a fluke. Now my Orc and XL are blowing out there further than I've ever thrown them, but I'm getting high-speed turn out of them (especially the XL, which is turning over like crazy, and it's Z plastic too).
Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 24
Try something a little bit more stable than an XL...but not much

The Surge SS in Z plastic is rate similar to the XL but I find that they have little more HSS which should help you.

Keep it up, and work on getting that snap every time, because when they becomes common it's just pure added D.

\/\/
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drickanderson View Post
Some of these are finally getting past the 300' mark (320-330). Prior to this last weekend, I had only thrown over 300' once, and it was a fluke. Now my Orc and XL are blowing out there further than I've ever thrown them, but I'm getting high-speed turn out of them (especially the XL, which is turning over like crazy, and it's Z plastic too).
It sounds like OAT to me. At 300' neither the Orc or Z XL should have much, if any turn.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Wouldn't a slower disc show this easier?

Something in the Banshee-Gazelle-Cheetah-Leopard range of speed would be perfect.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
It sounds like OAT to me. At 300' neither the Orc or Z XL should have much, if any turn.

I understand what OAT (Off Axis Torque) is, but what's involved in removing it from your throw? Wrist angle? I read a lot about OAT, but I don't think I've seen anything other than "drive with your putter, because it will display OAT more". Ok, so I drive with the putter and see tons of OAT. What then?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
Keep throwing the putter until you can throw it at 100% power and make it not turn over at all. Then you should have eliminated OAT.

The specific process by which you'll do it will be unique to you because you have specific form flaws someone else might not have. Just experiment with it. Some things to keep in mind is keep the disc close to your body on the pull through, make sure you use your body's rotational power to launch the disc and not just arm muscles, and pay attention to your release angles.

XL's shouldn't flip at 300', and Orcs shouldn't flip at 360', assuming calm conditions and flat ground.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
I understand what OAT (Off Axis Torque) is, but what's involved in removing it from your throw? Wrist angle? I read a lot about OAT, but I don't think I've seen anything other than "drive with your putter, because it will display OAT more". Ok, so I drive with the putter and see tons of OAT. What then?
I think the easiest way is to find all of your flippiest discs and practice throwing them on hyzers. Start short and gradually push out how far they go. The discs should hold the same hyzer the whole flight, they shouldn't flatten at all.

Concentrate on keeping both your wrist and shoulder on the same plane throughout the throw. You should finish on the same plane that you started on. For hyzers, you'll finish high.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Then you need to stop throwing with OAT.

The way to throw with no OAT is to snap your wrist on a flat plane. you basically want your wrist to pull through on the same plane your arm is pulling through, and then you want the disc to rip out of your hand on that same plane.

Edit: Ah the master beat me to the answer, as usual.